• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting LTC in all 50 States?

Mike S

NES Member
Since we have to..

Well, actually 48 as I understand VT and AZ do not require one.

Anyways, does anyone know if this is possible? I'm thinking about trying to get this, so no matter where I go, so does my iron.

I know the NE states are fairly easy, it's the rest I wonder about.

Look over reciprocity - you will not need to get a CCW in all 48...

FL's CCW, for example is honored in 24 states (though a few are somewhat "gray" on FL's "out-of-state" CCW as those few states say "FL residents" in their laws)...

The reality is that there are places you won't be able to get it without being a LEO of some form (NY, NJ, DC, etc... ) - so it can't be done...

But you can get reasonable coverage - the issue is why? Just to say you did it?

Since we have to..

Anyways, does anyone know if this is possible? I'm thinking about trying to get this, so no matter where I go, so does my iron.

I know the NE states are fairly easy, it's the rest I wonder about.

arizona does require a permit for CC. Vermont and Alaska are the two that do not. there are a few states where u wont be able to get one including NY, NJ, HI, DE, WI, IL, and I'm sure a few others.

I'm pretty sure WV is not possible for a MA resident, and SC is not possible for a MA resident unless you own SC real estate. I think KS and possibly CO are not possible for a MA resident also.

I think DE takes Florida and/or Utah. MD might be a problem though.

Oh yeah, forget about Hawaii, they're like IL and WI.

Last edited:
Look over reciprocity - you will not need to get a CCW in all 48...

FL's CCW, for example is honored in 24 states (though a few are somewhat "gray" on FL's "out-of-state" CCW as those few states say "FL residents" in their laws)...

The reality is that there are places you won't be able to get it without being a LEO of some form (NY, NJ, DC, etc... ) - so it can't be done...

But you can get reasonable coverage - the issue is why? Just to say you did it?

thanks, yes, I want to do it just to do it, I've been thinking for the last few days about how stupid our gun laws are (drivers license v. gun license post) and how great it would be to legally carry everywhere possible. Any help you guys can give me in compiling the list of states that would require it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure WV is not possible for a MA resident, and SC is not possible for a MA resident unless you own SC real estate. I think KS and possibly CO are not possible for a MA resident also.

I think DE takes Florida and/or Utah. MD might be a problem though.

Oh yeah, forget about Hawaii, they're like IL and WI.
I thought Kansas didnt have concealed carry just open carry....

thanks, yes, I want to do it just to do it, I've been thinking for the last few days about how stupid our gun laws are (drivers license v. gun license post) and how great it would be to legally carry everywhere possible. Any help you guys can give me in compiling the list of states that would require it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
FL's page is a great start - their CCW is coveted for its wide reciprocity - they have a full list there with asterisks for all the gotchas in the various states they cover...

Do a search for "FL CCW" and you should find their page...

for what its worth, I hold a Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Utah, Maine, Pennsylvania, Washington, and Florida CCW permits Was going to go for more but realized that I'm covered from Boston to Seattle along the I 90 corridor with the exception of New York and Illinois...you would be surprised how many states you are covered in with just you Ma permit and lets say a Utah or Pennsylvania non resident permit....Pennsylvania is the easiest to get but Utah has the most reciprocity.....

Here's the problem with the "multi-state plan" which I was talking about with Clinotus this very weekend.

If you're just driving through then maybe it's ok to "skate by" with an out of state reciprocity license. But, if you're spending any real time in the state, it may be worthwhile to get that state's out-of-state license if possible. Consider:

1. While your out-of-state license may in fact be legal, what are the chances that every officer you run into is going to be well versed in the salient laws? What are the chances that would happen in MA, for instance?

2. Just knowing that "it will all get worked out in the end." is little comfort while it's "being worked out." particularly in a small town or off hours.

3. Just because you may eventually be found innocent by someone doesn't mean it won't cost you money to achieve that status.

Now, I'd never tell anyone what they should do with their time and lives, but I wouldn't depend on a situation where I had, say 6 licenses that covered 42 states "legally" for any sort of extended situation without addressing the specific state I'm going to be in for a while. It just seems like with all the effort needed to build such a patchwork, you could get out-of-state licenses in the 4-7 you are really going to need.

Just my 2 cents.

Forget about RI

RI most people hit a brake wall. RI accepts NO out of state permits. RI is a nightmare to deal with. Its hard to get a permit (very possible with some work) if your a resident of RI. It is extremely hard (if not impossible) to get a non-resident RI permit.

I have not tried to get a non resident RI permit yet. My girlfriend is getting hers soon, since she lives in RI.

Trying to get her to move to MA :-( or CT or NH.

In California resident permits totally depend on where you live; lots of the state (the empty part) it's hardly a hassle at all. Same for New York. In both place it varies by county, and it both places non-resident permits are basically unobtainable though they exist in theory. (There's a weird 90-day thing in California if you've got a business interest, but I don't know an option that you can tuck in your wallet just to renew every few years. I haven't found the basis in law for NY's non-resident permits at all though they do issue some. Being famous helps.)

New Jersey resident permits vary locally and generally rarer, while Maryland is all done by the state and is a complete bitch, but both of them will issue non-resident permits if you get them on a good day.

None of the above have reciprocity. If you really want to carry everywhere, get a job in law enforcement and carry on the badge.

While I'm at it, Canada is impossible for concealed carry; mere posession of a handgun by a visitor is possible but requires a ridiculous amount of paperwork.

What's with Wisconsin? Pretty nice and sane place for the most part.

(I move too damn much.)

I was thinking about doing the same thing and just started with some of the easy ones. NH, ME, PA & FL. (PA only took 2 weeks and $26). Utah would be another good one but you have to have an instructor approved by UTAH. There is a member of this forum "Utah CCW Instructor" http://www.nraclass.com/Home.html who teaches this class regularly in CT and MA. Also, go to http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf this lists the states you can get non-resident CCW, websites, and contact information. Additionally, http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_information.html should be very helpful. Good luck.

While I'm at it, Canada is impossible for concealed carry; mere posession of a handgun by a visitor is possible but requires a ridiculous amount of paperwork.
Been there, done that. More often than not the customs folks at the Toronto airport go into a state of minor confusion, sometimes searching through three ring binders to figure out how to handle the situation. I've never had a problem, although the once gave up on figuring out the procedure and just waved me through.

My understanding on reciprocity between NH, FL, and all the other states tied in there; is if you do not live in one of those states, you do not get the reciprocity. Only the state you applied for. I believe it says this on the New Hampshire Staties website for out-of-state licenses.

Actually, Florida has recently added a few more states to their reciprocity list. Florida residents can carry in 33, and non-residents can carry in 26. Not a bad deal. [grin]

My understanding on reciprocity between NH, FL, and all the other states tied in there; is if you do not live in one of those states, you do not get the reciprocity. Only the state you applied for. I believe it says this on the New Hampshire Staties website for out-of-state licenses.

It depends on the state. Florida will only honor a New Hampshire permit if you're a resident, and vice versa, but Pennsylvania will honor a New Hampshire resident or non-resident permit. It means research if you want to find out for sure.

Since we have to..

Anyways, does anyone know if this is possible? I'm thinking about trying to get this, so no matter where I go, so does my iron..

It is simply not possible. IL has no provision for CCW. Many states have no provision for non-resident LTC (e.g., MD, NY, NJ, etc.) and do not recognize out of state LTCs.

It is relatively easy to get coverage for about 33 states, but getting beyond that is difficult.

AS GSG says - it depends on the state - FL's page has a listing of their reciprocity states with asterisks on those that require "resident" vs "non-resident"...

Most recognize even the "non-resident"...

I thought Kansas didnt have concealed carry just open carry....

Kansas changed a couple of years ago they do have a CCW law now non res. need not apply. seeing how this was passed under an extremely liberal gov. (who now works for the guy some people call the president) it is full of restrictions.

Correct me if I'm wrong; ex LEOs have country wide carry privileges I wonder what the standard for being an ex LEO is? Small town constable, elected sheriff/townie judge, etc. There are enough not quite cops out there I wonder who and how they decide who gets to carry? Just wondering I'm not going to become a constable etc.

where would you store all the permits? [hmmm]

imo - not worth it, considering the cost, re-newals (i'm sure some may be free or minimal though) and tracking ALL of those expirations.

if i were to do this - which i wont

i would do the 8 to 10 that would give me the most coverage and make damn well sure i'm traveling to / from points where i can CC.

some states, like MO - accept ANY out-of-state permit...

but this sure does seem like a headache.

.02 from me.

There are enough not quite cops out there I wonder who and how they decide who gets to carry? Just wondering I'm not going to become a constable etc.
IIRC, there is indeed a federal law that provides for this and again IIRC, it provides for anyone who would carry "on the job" and is approved/qualified to do so by their local office/department/state/chief, etc...

I wonder what the standard for being an ex LEO is?
Employed by the government (sworn LEO in private services such as private universities and railroads do not count); minimum 15 years service; pension eligible; and having passed a qualification shoot from your agency in the past year. Very effectively worded to prevent people who weren't really career officers from scoring an LEO affiliation to get nationwide carry privs.

Correct me if I'm wrong; ex LEOs have country wide carry privileges I wonder what the standard for being an ex LEO is? Small town constable, elected sheriff/townie judge, etc. There are enough not quite cops out there I wonder who and how they decide who gets to carry? Just wondering I'm not going to become a constable etc.

There are federal standards for this. It is not simple and there are several hoops that retired LEOs need to jump through. Some of these hoops are still being worked out.

I believe that being a constable would not cut it, since constables in MA are not employed by the town.
Qualified law enforcement officers employed by or retired from a local, State or Federal law enforcement agency.
http://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf

Back
Top Bottom