• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting into reloading

Its only cheaper to buy factory ammo if your shooting like 200 rounds a year total for everything?
I shoot 300 to 400 rounds everytimes am out. I shoot crosman .22 pellet gun in my basement just to keep my skill up. Some day when primer available again i will get into reloarding, 308 and .357 and maybe recast birdshot ammo into slug so i can get leadpoisoning ,maybe i can even get cheap ammo that way. Here a pic of my target at 10 yards, watch em .40 holes in the center.. i flinch .... now look at em .22 holes ... no flinch. Need to work on my recoildealing skill more.

Attachments

• 20210819_132652.jpg
    20210819_132652.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 27
Save yourself the time and material supply by taking the class. You won't regret it. If I was starting over, it would be the first thing I would do. I spent a lot of time on line and reading in 2008. Taking lots of ammo apart with an impact mallet is no fun. Ine screw up and you cost yourself oerhaps hours fixing a mistake. Attention to detail cannot be lackluster and safe anmo is paramount to keeping you and your guns in one piece. Nobody wants to see a thread where bandages and missing digits or worse are pictured. Keep in mind the reason you are reloading and learn to triple check as you go along.
I would recommend an rcbs lockout die when loading pistol ammo on a progressive.

To reload my total investment was under $400. Paid for itself in about a month of range time.

I don't know where you got the idea that it's prohibitively expensive. It's not. If you have the money to buy ammo.....you habe the money to buy reloading equipment. Unless of course you a 3 or 4 time a year to the range kind of shooter then it's not worth the investment.
I think of it like this, if you only go to the range 4 times a year and by VCMAN info its 300-400 a year depending on what he shoots lets call it $1000 a year in ammo
You could by press and dies and enough reloading components to reload a couple thousand rounds?
People are strange. My buddy pisses through ammo but was buying 100 rounds on friday and burning them up on sunday. He WAS hitting the range weekly. Now he bitches cause he cant always buy ammo.
Told him years ago stop shooting for a few months and save up to get into reloading

I shoot 300 to 400 rounds everytimes am out. I shoot crosman .22 pellet gun in my basement just to keep my skill up. Some day when primer available again i will get into reloarding, 308 and .357 and maybe recast birdshot ammo into slug so i can get leadpoisoning ,maybe i can even get cheap ammo that way. Here a pic of my target at 10 yards, watch em .40 holes in the center.. i flinch .... now look at em .22 holes ... no flinch. Need to work on my recoildealing skill more.
I also shoot pellets for practice , I have a nice little 10m air rifle and have been looking to replace my worn out CO2 pistol with a nice 10m single pump

Step#1 before you buy anything, buy the Lyman's 50th reloading manual and read it cover to cover twice. A few comments. If your looking to embark into reloading in attempts to "save money" forget about that. You do NOT save money. You DO create your individual gun's best precision and you create independence from stupid ongoing politically induced gun panics. Problem is right now you are late to the party and you will not be able to find primers unless you are willing to spend "panic" prices. That's not to say you can't begin to build your component inventory if you are truly willing to commit the time and money needed.
Thanks for the heads-up sir, truly appreciated it. Willing to spend 'panic price' on primers, in as much I'm getting the right education. Many thanks.

Step one. Buy equipment

Step two. reload

Step three. Shoot

Repeat..

Doesn’t matter what equipment you get. It’s an addiction.
For any beginners looking to reload big calibers (think 44 and up) that you might shoot maybe a 100 or so per month and don't want to go for a progressive press, look at the Lee Classic.

The Lee Classic can be turned into a single stage, except you dont need to remove the dies. The turrets cost $11 on Amazon and the powder drop is excellent (note: there will always be some type of powder that won't meter great in every powder drop, I use it with stick powder 5744, 4198).

The Lee Classic can be found new for around $120. I think the kit with scale and reloading manual costs around $200.

You can go at a decent speed.

View: https://youtu.be/I-OeBiN7qP4

Unless you’re licking your fingers and pickin your nose while casting you won’t get lead poisoning.

Unless you’re licking your fingers and pickin your nose while casting you won’t get lead poisoning.
This x100.

What gives people elevated lead is usually:

- shooting indoors, even well ventilated ranges are not great.

- walking around the house with the same shoes/ clothes you wore at the range. Think your hands will touch those areas, then those hands touch food / your face.

- dry tumbling brass - if you are not careful with the dust.

Casting and reloading are the least worries.

A friend of mine was into reloading and had a 550 and 650. He let me try his 550 then I had a go at the 650. I ordered a 650 that afternoon and signed up for Jim’s class which was at Blue Northern at the time. I reloaded for several years and upgraded to a Mk7 Evo. I used to load .380, 9mm and .40, but dropped all bar the 9mm. I’m currently setting up the Evo to reload .223 and I bought an XL750 on sale as a dedicated processing machine. I like my toys, I really enjoy reloading and in a few weeks I’m taking Jim’s rifle class in the mill. It’s an addictive hobby, but a fun one.

Last edited:
To reload my total investment was under $400. Paid for itself in about a month of range time.

I don't know where you got the idea that it's prohibitively expensive. It's not. If you have the money to buy ammo.....you habe the money to buy reloading equipment. Unless of course you a 3 or 4 time a year to the range kind of shooter then it's not worth the investment.
Nice investment, I will definitely do the same to learn to reload which I'm already on that path.

You can buy a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press Kit for $235, and it has most of what you need to get started. It comes with the Lee reloading manual. But I would also get the ABCs Of Reloading or the Lyman 50th. And a wet tumbler, or vibratory tumbler to clean the brass. Some digital calipers. You might be able to pick up some free .223 brass at the range. Look in the trash buckets.

You can buy a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press Kit for $235, and it has most of what you need to get started. It comes with the Lee reloading manual. But I would also get the ABCs Of Reloading or the Lyman 50th. And a wet tumbler, or vibratory tumbler to clean the brass. Some digital calipers. You might be able to pick up some free .223 brass at the range. Look in the trash buckets.
See what your local library has for books before spending any cash on books. Some books are just not worth buying IMHO

Not sure how it turned into being about lead poised..But it’s basically impossible to get lead poisoning. I’d be more worried about drinking your tapwater.

The kind of lead poisoning you have to worry about is getting shot

Not sure how it turned into being about lead poised..But it’s basically impossible to get lead poisoning. I’d be more worried about drinking your tapwater.

The kind of lead poisoning you have to worry about is getting shot
If you get a physical on a regular basis see if your even being tested for lead.
I forget the name of the measurements but the numbers from what my Dr tells me
Less than 10 they gloss over the result.
20 plus they start asking questions and recommend follow up tests. 40 plus its treatment time
My results have been pretty steady since 2008 right around 2, i always forget to ask the Dr about lead.
Hes always more interested in the 20lbs I should loose and my sugar levels

Last edited:
I’ve been tested for lead. You could eat the stuff it doesn’t matter. People who clean up ranges for a living might end up with a spike.

It’s typically not from casting and reloading.

This x100.

What gives people elevated lead is usually:

- shooting indoors, even well ventilated ranges are not great.

- walking around the house with the same shoes/ clothes you wore at the range. Think your hands will touch those areas, then those hands touch food / your face.

- dry tumbling brass - if you are not careful with the dust.

Casting and reloading are the least worries.
What if you eat lead muffins for breakfast? 20210902_135555.jpg

I’m more worried about all the random shit that you get with wheel weights and scrap lead….The fiberglass on a boat keel is disgusting when burned…

Never mind all the random shit that explodes inside of there besides moisture itself.

I’m waiting to move because I’m not moving my stock pile of lead more than once. 5-20 lb ingots …Those little tiny guys are for your tin and other alloy.

I’m more worried about all the random shit that you get with wheel weights and scrap lead….The fiberglass on a boat keel is disgusting when burned…

Never mind all the random shit that explodes inside of there besides moisture itself.

I’m waiting to move because I’m not moving my stock pile of lead more than once. 5-20 lb ingots …Those little tiny guys are for your tin and other alloy.
Moisture, lol, I live in the desert;)

Sorry op for hijacking your thread
Look like a single state press will do ,can it load both 308 and 357 if i swap out the die? I seen guy with 5 press,all set up for different type of ammo.
Do i really need to clean bass before i load it?can it be clean in a soniccleaner?
Will buy a good scale , 357 die , powder primer bullet for 308 and .357 , let me know any good ones that youguys know of ok.
I counted all my ammo,down to 2k of 308, 800 rd of .357 , it be a while before i need to reload those rounds,may as well begin to learn and slowly buy stuff now.

Look like a single state press will do ,can it load both 308 and 357 if i swap out the die?
Yes, you can definitely swap them out as needed. A more "fancy" single-stage presses, like my Frankford Arsenal M-Press, allow you to swap dies quickly without resetting the die height adjustments. this is super valuable when you load multiple calibers on a single press. I use the same single-stage press to load 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Grendel, 40S&W, and 5.56. Thanks to the ability to swap dies, I can easily prepare for the weekend's rifle range activities in a matter of a few hours on Friday night
One thing most folks will tell you is that reloading is like Yoga: you get this Zen-like feeling that unwinds you from the week's stresses. The stress knots just melt away...

Yes, you can definitely swap them out as needed. A more "fancy" single-stage presses, like my Frankford Arsenal M-Press, allow you to swap dies quickly without resetting the die height adjustments. this is super valuable when you load multiple calibers on a single press. I use the same single-stage press to load 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Grendel, 40S&W, and 5.56. Thanks to the ability to swap dies, I can easily prepare for the weekend's rifle range activities in a matter of a few hours on Friday night
One thing most folks will tell you is that reloading is like Yoga: you get this Zen-like feeling that unwinds you from the week's stresses. The stress knots just melt away...

QFTMFT: One thing most folks will tell you is that reloading is like Yoga: you get this Zen-like feeling that unwinds you from the week's stresses. The stress knots just melt away...

can it be clean in a soniccleaner?
It absolutely can! Furthermore, you don't need fancy sonic cleaners! I use inexpensive off-eBay cleaner: Professional Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner Machine with Timer Heated Cleaning 2L US 763891889399 | eBay

For cleaning solution, I use Lyman Turbo Sonic Case Cleaning Solution. There is enough there for 16 gallons worth of solution. Basically, 1 fl oz per gallon is enough.

10 minutes is plenty time to clean ammo to a pretty decent state.

Will buy a good scale
The single most useful thing you can get for your press is an automatic dispenser like Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper Electronic Powder Scale. This will act as a scale and powder dispenser.
When I first started, I used a "manual trickler" and a scale. I threw that damn thing at the wall after having messed up with dispensing the right amount of powder 5 times in a row. Now, I just set the amount, hit run, and it dispenses perfect amounts of powder over and over and over and over...

The single most useful thing you can get for your press is an automatic dispenser like Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper Electronic Powder Scale. This will act as a scale and powder dispenser.
When I first started, I used a "manual trickler" and a scale. I threw that damn thing at the wall after having messed up with dispensing the right amount of powder 5 times in a row. Now, I just set the amount, hit run, and it dispenses perfect amounts of powder over and over and over and over...
Man, u r a goldmine of information, thank u,this is the reason why i hang out on nes, good informations instead of listent to bullshit on cnn .
Will look into all of the above equipments, i will have to keep all this reloading stuff to a bare minimum cause i do my own car maintain, and made a living as a machinist/mech assembler, that a lot of tools 4 me to keep an eye on lol.

Back
Top Bottom