Getting into reloading

I made all this today at the gunrange..... can not reload steelcase lol.
It be very nice if i can get into reloading , just that it cost too much to buy all the stuff for it.hey op, i got a case trimmer machine and a set of 308 die, wanna trade me some ammo 4 it ( i shoot 308 7.62x39 .40 9mm .22 and 20 gauge ) scope for gun , knife.... ect...
As opposed to having to pay $45 for a box of range plinker 9mm or $460 for 1K case of steel cased 7.62x39 during the gun panic ? No wonder your trying to fish a trade for ammo... Handloading is a life long investment.

i started about 18 mos ago. Spent $300 on the Hornady LnL Single Stage.. comes with just about everything to start except the dies.. then you'll start picking up odds and ends here and there.. bullet puller, cartridge gauge, calipers, ammo boxes, etc..

also took EC's class.. some good info there.

Step#1 before you buy anything, buy the Lyman's 50th reloading manual and read it cover to cover twice. A few comments. If your looking to embark into reloading in attempts to "save money" forget about that. You do NOT save money. You DO create your individual gun's best precision and you create independence from stupid ongoing politically induced gun panics. Problem is right now you are late to the party and you will not be able to find primers unless you are willing to spend "panic" prices. That's not to say you can't begin to build your component inventory if you are truly willing to commit the time and money needed.
This is correct if your spending say $2k a year now you most likely will still spend 2k year reloading.
Although your ammo will be more tuned to your platform and you will shoot more
Even with the current prices your still going to get more rounds per$ than buying factory.

I'm the one that does the classes. If you take one of my classes and don't think it was worth it, I'll refund your tuition.

Here's an article I wrote on the equipment you'll need:

Here are a bunch more articles on other reloading topics:

Start with a good single stage press. Even if you end up with a progressive (which is likely) you'll always have a use for a single stage press. Sometime you're going to want to make 50 of something and it's not worth setting up a progressive to do so. Also, if you're going to be reloading rifle cartridges, it's easier to work up a load on a single stage than on a progressive.

Buy good equipment that has high resale value (in other words, not Lee). If/when you ever decide to give up reloading, you'll get almost all of your money back for a Dillon. Not so much with cheap stuff.
This is a good point about resale.
Personally I do not think of resale when I buy something. IF I end up selling it and it brings good $$ so be it.
Another thing is if you are not mechanically inclined single stage will be tour friend.

Then the time - what do you have for time?
How much do you plan to shoot.
Example- my friends dad shoots all those high volume pistol games. 9mm and 45
He has 2 1050s and a few weekend nights a year he just cranks out a season or so of ammo. Sits there refilling the hoppers as needed till he runs out of cases. I dont know how many rounds fit in a 3 gallon bucket but thats usually full after one friday night run. His presses sit collecting dust for 6-9 months until its time to do another run

You can go either way, take a class or get somebody who knows what they're doing to teach you the basics.

I started on a progressive press without a class. But, my son and his buddy reload, so they came by and helped me set it up and showed me how the press worked. Once you understand the mechanics of assembling a round, it's pretty straight-forward.

It's VERY important to look up the specs on the round you want to load, (and I'd use at least two sources in case of a typo/misprint). Do some reading so that you understand what COL is, what starting charge means and what max charge means.

Put together a list of what you need. Obviously a press, and people can argue all day about whether you should start with a single stage or a progressive. So, pick a press, get the die set. Then you'll need at a bare minimum a decent scale and a micrometer. You'll also need brass, powder, primers and bullets. Depending upon where you are, you may have issues getting some of those. Primers are in short supply everywhere right now, and some companies don't ship to Massachusetts.

You've said that you're interested in loading 7.62 and 5.56 plus some pistol rounds. I'd probably start with a pistol round, a straight walled one such as 9mm, .38spcl or .45ACP. Bottleneck cases are a little trickier to crimp, so I'd get the basics down on an easier round first.

Set up the press, adjust the dies according to the mfg or to videos on youtube. Work with some empty brass, (no primers, no powder). Get the flare set and get the crimp and seating set, verify the OAL. Seat a primer in a case and setup your powder drop. Cycle the same case through at least half a dozen times, make sure the powder drop is consistent.

Assemble a dozen rounds or so, checking the powder drop and the OAL on each as you work them through the stations.

Take them to the range and chrono them. Pick up your brass and look at the primers, (google primer flow).

Patience, repeatability and OCD mentality are your friends. If you undercharge a round, you risk a squib. If you double-charge it, you risk catastrophic failure. Take it slow, pay attention. Do NOT force your press at any time. If it's not moving, stop, examine it. If you force it, you're probably going to break something.

Also, there's a reloading forum here in NES, as opposed to the General forum.

EDIT: I just noticed that @mac1911 already posted this link.
Sometimes more reminders help

Get to know your fellow club members who reload,.. Having experience around you speeds your learning.
This , although my dad had a few of the lee whackOround reloaders that where it ended. It was years later I met a trap shooter and ended up reloading shotshell.
This guy also loaded for his MachineGuns.
At one point he had a commercial cast bullet and ammo company in the 60s and 70s when he says bullseye was all the rage and wadcutters where the bullet.
He walked away frim the business in the late 80s
I met him early 2000 and he had all sorts of loaders from old californian turret to Camden
He taught me shotshell on a Mec 650 and metallic on a rock chucker
Also got me interested in casting.

I'm the one that does the classes. If you take one of my classes and don't think it was worth it, I'll refund your tuition.

Do your classes generally sell out early?

As I mentioned in my intro post, I have reloaded before but am getting back in after a long time out.

Would love a refresher, but with two teenagers, it’s hard to plan out too far. I would be thinking about signing up for the November class, but it will probably be mid October before I’m sure I can do it.

I made all this today at the gunrange..... can not reload steelcase lol.
It be very nice if i can get into reloading , just that it cost too much to buy all the stuff for it.hey op, i got a case trimmer machine and a set of 308 die, wanna trade me some ammo 4 it ( i shoot 308 7.62x39 .40 9mm .22 and 20 gauge ) scope for gun , knife.... ect...
You can reload steel case ammo. Is it ideal ? Not really. Although for real budget reloading and especially if you cant retrieve your brass.
Steel cases are soft as shit they
unless berdan primed, tou can reload berdan primed cases also IF you can find the primers

how much did you spend on ammo over the past few years?
When I decided to take the plunge into reloading I stopped shooting/buying/spending for 10 months or so. Other than 22 plinking
I managed to save enough to buy
12 die sets, press, tumbler, trimmer
Bought enough bullets/primers/power to load at least 1000 each of pistol 38/9/45
Rifle 223/30-06/54r/303
And as time went on I added brass and bullets for the lesser shot items.
THEN what I do so I have a little restock cash is I buy my own ammo from myself.
if it cost me .35 to load a round I stuff a $20/50rd in the cash box in the safe.

Then learn to buy in bulk when you see a decent price. Im talking several k at a time.
Ideally in my head you should have at least 1.5x the amount you normally shoot.
Example: when I shot alot especialy 223 and 308 I would keep at least 3k bullets/primers/powder of each and restock when I got just under 40% of inventory.
I reload for 32acp and only shoot about 100 rounds a year so I have 200 primers/cases/bullets on hand and when I go theough 100 I restock

system works well and once you get in the habit you start having surplus.

Last edited:
To reload my total investment was under $400. Paid for itself in about a month of range time.

I don't know where you got the idea that it's prohibitively expensive. It's not. If you have the money to buy ammo.....you habe the money to buy reloading equipment. Unless of course you a 3 or 4 time a year to the range kind of shooter then it's not worth the investment.
I shoot about 4 times a years just to made sure my guns work,been using ammo that i got when it was cheap, when that ammo run down ill stop lol.was gona reload .308 and .357 and get into longrange shooting, man that an expensive sport(cost of reloading and good rifle)

I shoot about 4 times a years just to made sure my guns work,been using ammo that i got when it was cheap, when that ammo run down ill stop lol.was gona reload .308 and .357 and get into longrange shooting, man that an expensive sport(cost of reloading and good rifle)
If you only shoot 4 times a year definitely leave the reloading alone lol

If you shoot that little, the cost of reloading long range is cheap. You can get the press, powder drop, scale and dies for $150, maybe $200. Since you don't shoot a lot, a single stage would do.

How much match grade .308 can you buy with $200? - probably not a lot.

I see a lot of people look at the initial investment of maybe $200 and freak out but they don't stop to think that might only be 100 rounds of quality ammo when available at the store.

Remember, what you reload will be tailored to your gun, match grade.

Your biggest problem is shooting four times per year. You can't get into long range with 4 range sessions per year, there is a learning curve.

This is correct if your spending say $2k a year now you most likely will still spend 2k year reloading.
Even with the current prices your still going to get more rounds per$ than buying factory.

It's not money per-se for me. My wife bought me an XL650 so that I could decompress after work. "Allen's in the garage loading, DO NOT DISTURB HIM". Got the press setup on a bench with a computer monitor above it, I can listen to music while I load, surf NES, or look up load data.

My first couple hundred rounds were questionable; I used them for practice only, shooting factory at matches. After a bit, it came together and I was producing ammo that I trusted. 124 grn 9mm over 4.0 of TiteGroup cycles all of my 9mm's and makes minor power factor. So, it turned into "I don't have to swing by a store or the pro shop to pick up ammo (if they have it) before the match - I'll just take my own". Then the prices went crazy and I'm sitting on probably 7K loaded rounds, so I don't care. Guys are showing up at matches and saying they can't practice because they don't have enough ammo. Saying they're missing matches or shooting .22 in Steel Challenge because they don't have 9 or 45. Those that reload are having trouble finding primers; (yeah - that's still an issue).

I found that changing calibers in the press meant tweaking the dies each time - so I bought another 650. The first one's dedicated to 9mm, (IDPA/USPSA/SC). The second one I load smaller quantities of .38SPCL, .357Mag & .357Sig. Waiting on .45ACP dies now, ordered them in January from Dillon. Thinking of sourcing them from Mighty Armory at this point.

So - $$?? Saving money by reloading? No.
Dependable source of ammo suitable for matches ? You bet.
Peace of mind through the reloading process and not having the worry of 'where am I gonna get ammo?'? Yup.

At a match recently, a guy was having serious issues with his Sig MPX (?). I offered him my gun, (I'd already shot the match). He said that the ammo was the problem, he'd just loaded it and hadn't tested it sufficiently. I handed him an ammo can of my loads - his match was already tanked from the first stage, but he shot the rest of the match without issue - my loads cycled his gun fine - and he turned a shit day into a not-so-bad day. He reloads, we agreed that he'd give me some primers in exchange for the ammo he'd shot. Met up with him last week and he handed over a box of primers. Reloading my own ammo, and having sufficient on hand made that possible.

It's not money per-se for me. My wife bought me an XL650 so that I could decompress after work. "Allen's in the garage loading, DO NOT DISTURB HIM". Got the press setup on a bench with a computer monitor above it, I can listen to music while I load, surf NES, or look up load data.

My first couple hundred rounds were questionable; I used them for practice only, shooting factory at matches. After a bit, it came together and I was producing ammo that I trusted. 124 grn 9mm over 4.0 of TiteGroup cycles all of my 9mm's and makes minor power factor. So, it turned into "I don't have to swing by a store or the pro shop to pick up ammo (if they have it) before the match - I'll just take my own". Then the prices went crazy and I'm sitting on probably 7K loaded rounds, so I don't care. Guys are showing up at matches and saying they can't practice because they don't have enough ammo. Saying they're missing matches or shooting .22 in Steel Challenge because they don't have 9 or 45. Those that reload are having trouble finding primers; (yeah - that's still an issue).

I found that changing calibers in the press meant tweaking the dies each time - so I bought another 650. The first one's dedicated to 9mm, (IDPA/USPSA/SC). The second one I load smaller quantities of .38SPCL, .357Mag & .357Sig. Waiting on .45ACP dies now, ordered them in January from Dillon. Thinking of sourcing them from Mighty Armory at this point.

So - $$?? Saving money by reloading? No.
Dependable source of ammo suitable for matches ? You bet.
Peace of mind through the reloading process and not having the worry of 'where am I gonna get ammo?'? Yup.

At a match recently, a guy was having serious issues with his Sig MPX (?). I offered him my gun, (I'd already shot the match). He said that the ammo was the problem, he'd just loaded it and hadn't tested it sufficiently. I handed him an ammo can of my loads - his match was already tanked from the first stage, but he shot the rest of the match without issue - my loads cycled his gun fine - and he turned a shit day into a not-so-bad day. He reloads, we agreed that he'd give me some primers in exchange for the ammo he'd shot. Met up with him last week and he handed over a box of primers. Reloading my own ammo, and having sufficient on hand made that possible.
My 1. Reason to start reloading
Shops around never had the quantity or type I wanted and where not interested in ordering it I grew tired of it and took the plunge. Even bought a shot maker

Do your classes generally sell out early?

As I mentioned in my intro post, I have reloaded before but am getting back in after a long time out.

Would love a refresher, but with two teenagers, it’s hard to plan out too far. I would be thinking about signing up for the November class, but it will probably be mid October before I’m sure I can do it.
Sometimes they do. If you decide you want to go and the class is sold out, drop me an email anyway. Last minute cancellations happen.

I blame pc games, and all the books about sniping that i read when i was young( the whitefeather,ultimersniper....ect) they made it look soo easy, and cheap to hit target 800 yards away.
Hitting a target at 800 yards is not expensive.

Hitting tiny target consistently and winning matches is the expensive part.

Just like everything, you can blow $3K+ on a scope and action alone. Or you can hit the target with a $1K gun. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

i looked at it back and forth this summer and so far price wise getting reloaded match grade ammo from CMP is still easier/cheaper.
if situation with primers and bullets will change - may be it will get more attractive to get into reloading full time, but for now, it was rather a futile effort, to find hornady/nosler match grade bullets and primers at a reasonable price, or to find them at all, anywhere.
those cmp reloaded rounds i received are very consistent. .308 ones they sell are pricier, buti hope it will reverse. 6.5CM was going at 70cpr - .308 goes now at $1.25pr, go figure.

if prices at CMP wil stay above $1 like that - then it will shift the price point again, i guess.

Where are you located? If you're close enough to drive, I'll give you some brass. Sorry, I'm not parting with any primers. A class isn't necessary but it will sure help you avoid lots of mistakes.

As others have said qty and accuracy desired has a lot to do with what equipment you buy and use. I reload bulk plinking 55gr .223 on a Lee 4hole Turret. I can easily make 300-400 rounds per hour which is plenty for my volume of shooting and my spare time. I usually make this ammo while watching TV.

Now I also make 77gr precision .223 and I would 100% not do this using the Lee Turret. I typically do it 100rds at a time on an RCBS single stage.

Pistol is definitely less money to get into and easier to learn. Bottleneck adds a lot of brass prep that can be done cheaply, but large quantity and/or desire for consistency (match ammo) will see you spending some money in that arena to really make decent quantity with high quality.

Hitting a target at 800 yards is not expensive.

Hitting tiny target consistently and winning matches is the expensive part.

Just like everything, you can blow $3K+ on a scope and action alone. Or you can hit the target with a $1K gun. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
Also should define “target”
Shooting a sub 10” group at 1000 yards
Putting that 10” group in the X ring
Or hitting some/any where with in the scoring rings
One of the 1000 yard NRA rifle targets has a 44” aiming black out to a 8 ring for score? ----for me this would be a good place for me! anywhere in the black!

Last edited:
Single stage does come in handy. I have a cheap Lee just to deprime
Same here. I use the "cheap Lee" to de-prime and resize. Keeps quite a bit of mechanical stress off the turret. And if you use a lock-out or powder cop - you'll still have an open slot on the turret in case you want to use separate bullet set and crimp dies.

I do the 2-clean process (first clean, and de-lube), so what the heck. I'm in no hurry anyway............. :D

Yeah I was going to say lol. That doesn’t even warrant reloading unless you’re shootin some obscure calibers
am not rambo who shoot a bunch of rounds a week , i shoot enough to made sure i dont shoot my self in the foot if i have to use it 4 real. the reason i look into reloading .308 and .357 is that the goverment will do all they can to cut off ammo supply, which is what they are doing righ now. too bad money wise it cheaper to buy ammo than to reload in my case, laugh all you want but it still a free country , do what ever float your boat.

am not rambo who shoot a bunch of rounds a week , i shoot enough to made sure i dont shoot my self in the foot if i have to use it 4 real. the reason i look into reloading .308 and .357 is that the goverment will do all they can to cut off ammo supply, which is what they are doing righ now. too bad money wise it cheaper to buy ammo than to reload in my case, laugh all you want but it still a free country , do what ever float your boat.
Very good points. The ammo supply is definitely a big reason why I reload.

I recently sold my beloved RCBS Rock Chucker and finally purchased the Lyman All American Turret . I absolutely love a turret for being able to load short runs of 2 different calibers. Don't get me wrong not a single gripe from my Rock Chucker, I just wanted quick adaptability for small batches of ammo. I also load 45-70 black powder which requires multiple steps and a turret really helps speed up the ops.

Its only cheaper to buy factory ammo if your shooting like 200 rounds a year total for everything?

Back
Top Bottom