getting into reloading... dillon 550b

I finally bit the bullet, built a reloading bench and purchased the goods (for the most part) to get into reloading. I'll be loading 9mm, 45acp, and .223 with a Dillon 550B. I'll be sticking with the common bullet weights for those calibers for the time being. Before anyone says it, I do have the Lyman's manual, but I'd like to know what powders/primers/bullets people are using for those cartridges. What powders tend to feed consistently through the Dillon powder measure? Also, since I'm looking at cutting down cost per round, I plan to purchase in bulk. What places tend to have the best deals on components in bulk? Once fired brass is fine with me.

Thanks [smile]

XXXXXXXX, Titegroup powder, CCI primers because their easy to get and less expensive. Federal primers I prefer because their softer, so if you have played with any spring weights, Federal will give you less trouble and 100% bang everytime. I don't do rifle calibers, but have done a bunch of different pistol; 9, 40, 357 sig, 45. I use only Dillon's dies on the 550B.
Expect to pay maybe a $25 hazard material fee, although XXXXX includes it in their pricing sometimes. Either way, order up in quantity and save.
XXXXXX you'll have to buy direct unless somebody is dealing with it locally. They include freight in their pricing. As far brass, I started collecting for months before I began reloading. Bought a bunch from people on Glock Talk.

When it comes to powders, you have faster powders like Titegroup that require less amounts used, and you have slower powders. You have to be real careful and pay attention to what your doing, because if you do a double powder drop and don't realize it, you'll have a kaboom on your hands. I haven't experienced that thank goodness, but it is your number one concern when reloading. Don't do it with anyone around, don't try and watch TV, make sure you work area is well lite, and pay attention and go slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Realizing that you're not Green members here, you need nonetheless to read up on the important aspects of this site and this state. Specifically:

"Don't post the names of vendors that will ship components to Mass
Please don't, regardless of whether you live in Mass or not.

If you do, the posts will be deleted and the threads closed.

Also, please don't ask for names of vendors that will ship components to Mass."

Well you picked a good press as that is what I am using also. I load for the same calibers too.
W231 for powder
Winchester primers

I am using 115gr 9mm plated round nose for my common load. I use range brass or once fired brass that I have fired. I want to try 147gr's as I have not yet.

I am using 230gr plated for the .45's. I have tried a bunch of different ones, berry's being the most common. I have not quite found the exact recipe I like but that may be an on going mission as I have several .45's and they like different recipes.

9MM: Titegroup powder with 124 Gr cast lead bullets or jacketed.

.45 ACP: Trail Boss powder with 200 GR Cast lead. 231, Bullseye and Clays with 230 Gr Cast or jacketed.

.223: Rl 7 for 55gr. Rl 15, Varget 69gr and heavier.

Primers: Federal for revolvers. Winchester for Pistols, CCI for .223.

Sorry Admin, didn't think about it in regards to posting vendors. I'm on some other forums and that's just standard procedure in helping a fellow man out. No harmful intent here. Is it illegal to bring reloading supplies in from out of state??

Not to my knowledge, as long as you have the proper license. Keep in mind that spent casings are considered ammunition components and you need a license to have them. (this is in MA)

If you do some reading you will see why we don't post vendors that ship to MA, our AG is a slut.

I use a hornady powder drop so YMMV but will answer some questions
45 Powder CLAYS, Green Dot, Bullseye, Primers I tend to use the best deal I can find I load 230grain cast for plinking steel, bowling pins ect ect. Right now I have been using WOLF brand primers in all my plinking loads as they are 20bucks or less per thousand
Clays and green dot not meter all that well. and can bind up my powder drop a bit. Not to much of a problem dropping powder separate. I just dump that drop back in the hopper. Cycle the handle a few times and good to go. Clays just shoot nice in my 45 I guess you can call it plush recoil. I also load on the light side of data. with my almost free cast boolits i'm loading 45 at about .06 round
223. I have come to like varget it meters well no issues. I have only tried 3 powders for 223 to be shot out of my AR Varget or 4895 do well. I also use either WOLF primers in my 55grain plinkers or the CCI #41 in my 69 and 75 grain loads< I only do this after working up a load I like I dont want to change anything right now.
As for componants If you live on the borders of CT,RI,VT,ME,NH you will have better luck finding reloading componants in bulk and price.
Or hook up with some free state friends willing to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom