getting ghosted in classifieds

I figured I would post here first before ranting to make sure I'm not doing something incorrectly. I've made probably 20 purchases in the past 6 months, all initially replying with a pm and most getting a response and the sale moves forward. I have also replied to a number of classifieds that get one reply from seller with intention of moving forward but then i never hear from them again regardless of how many more pm's i send. I'm not being rude, and I'm offering to pay the asking price. Some items have been for sale for months so I figured the seller would be motivated to sell. Am I being blocked? Judging from successful messages I would think my pm's are going through. I also leave my name and cell number in case the seller prefers to call or text. The sellers activity shows they've all been logged in after my posts. I have roughly 10 pending sales where the seller replies once and I never hear from them again. What gives? Is it normal to ghost the new guy or is there something on my end that I'm doing wrong? Thanks

I've rarely had an issue as a buyer. If I get no response to the initial PM I assume they sold it. It's uncommon to get one answer and then nothing further.

As a seller, I get a lot of "I'm interested" and when I reply, they never respond again. If the message came late on a Friday or Saturday I assume the sender might've been drinking and then changed their mind once sober. Now that I'm in NH I've had a few people PM with "how can I get this from you?" and when I answer, they never respond again.

The worst I had was going back and forth on a meet up time with a guy who then just stopped responding after two or three messages back and forth. I had to tell another interested buyer it was already SPF, but I finally messaged guy number one that he had 48 hours to answer or I was moving on, and he didn't reply despite logging in. So, buyer # 2 got it.

Click "Report" on the listing, and list your reason. Maybe the listing just needs to be updated as sold or ....

I haven't been here in awhile but isn't this what negative rep is for ?
Or does everybody get a participation trophy now?

When I sell something I follow through, when I buy something I expect the seller to communicate with me if there's an issue. Even if they've changed their mind.
No harm no foul.😐
This ain't craigslist.

That’s classic NES for you. Sometimes people feel you’re lowballing them or they just flat out do not want to sell/buy/trade to/from/with you judging by your profile or recent activity. It happens the best thing to do is keep on trucking and don’t get discouraged. You’ll find people who you will buy from or sell to who will have good stuff regularly, and then you can do business with them again no problem.

Last edited:
I haven't been here in awhile but isn't this what negative rep is for ?
Or does everybody get a participation trophy now?

When I sell something I follow through, when I buy something I expect the seller to communicate with me if there's an issue. Even if they've changed their mind.
No harm no foul.😐
This ain't craigslist.

Welllllll... sorta. But the neg rep is, I think, something that's supposed to be given if a deal falls through. In the OP's case, there's no deal TO fall through. Bad comms is bad manners, but it's not on a par with getting the dreaded neg rep IMO.

I look at it this way. A neg rep should punish a buyer or seller who wastes your time, in any number of ways. If you just get a non-response on an initial PM, none of your time or effort is wasted other than the negligible amount for sending that first PM. Nobody's been inconvenienced.

Thanks just noticed the "comments section" in the Add Feedback on the upper right of every post. Adding a comment like "no responses from buyer/seller"to the OP of the item seeking a buyer/seller might be helpful in choosing potential buyers or sellers.

Another vote for “seller probably changed his mind / doesn’t really care if it sells.”

Thanks for the replies, at least I know its not just me. I always use goose rules and wont even ask a question about an item unless im 100 percent committed if i get the answer Im looking for. Ill just chock it up as a few squash heads with rectal cranial inversions. Almost everyone I've met with in person has been great so I'm grateful for the connections ive made so far.

I'm having a hard time with that one, been contemplating it for a while. I'm giving one guy a little more time before I out him. We met, I bought firearm and pre-payed for ammo that he forgot to bring with him. Agreed to meet following week, texted me said too busy and going through ugly divorce. I gave it another month, not gonna kick the guy when he's down. No replies to my texts after that until I suggested I could pick up the ammo at his address. That got his attention and said he would get back to me soon. If it doesn't happen I will post it to warn others. As far as the others sellers, I don't like drama and I don't need them leaving me negative feedback when I'm trying to build good relationships. I'm looking forward, not interested in pissing contests.

I'm having a hard time with that one, been contemplating it for a while. I'm giving one guy a little more time before I out him. We met, I bought firearm and pre-payed for ammo that he forgot to bring with him. Agreed to meet following week, texted me said too busy and going through ugly divorce. I gave it another month, not gonna kick the guy when he's down. No replies to my texts after that until I suggested I could pick up the ammo at his address. That got his attention and said he would get back to me soon. If it doesn't happen I will post it to warn others. As far as the others sellers, I don't like drama and I don't need them leaving me negative feedback when I'm trying to build good relationships. I'm looking forward, not interested in pissing contests.

if you prepayed, why can't he return the funds in the same method?

Sorry but that's bullsh*t. He's been blowing you off for over a month so he's just ripping you off at this point. He needs to be outed.

I'll update in 3 days with call out if no progress. I've never been through a divorce so cant speak of circumstances but regardless, he was able to meet at least the once for initial sale. My own fault as well for trusting and giving cash in advance. But for everyone elses' benefit I will call it out if not resolved asap. He wasn't one of the names listed above but I feel like I should add them to my do not deal list?

I'll update in 3 days with call out if no progress. I've never been through a divorce so cant speak of circumstances but regardless, he was able to meet at least the once for initial sale. My own fault as well for trusting and giving cash in advance. But for everyone elses' benefit I will call it out if not resolved asap. He wasn't one of the names listed above but I feel like I should add them to my do not deal list?

You are more patient than I. Negative feedback for the individual would alert the rest of us to the risk involved with buying from him. Negative feedback doesn't mean a total block, but is just another information point. Helpful to know I should approach the deal with caution. Several neg feedbacks? I'll pass.

Last edited:
Met a guy today. Not a lot of posts etc. Went flawless. Sold it and I had the wrong pin# for myself (had to call). All went well.

I do hesitate, if you just joined, no posts and no feedback. I’ll pass. Sketchy is sketchy.

Im not selling a beany baby. I’m not desperate for a sale.

I’ve had a few suspect offers. Pass.

That said look at my feedback, lots of good transactions.

Did this get squared away yet?

I have generally good results buying. Selling it is a bit of a dogs breakfast but usually positive. I had a gun up for sale years ago while at the same time having a very distracting personal situation going on and i bungled the communication - sorry whoever that was!. But generally if someone PMs me and says what is your bottom line, i dont feel bad about not answering, make an offer and if it is reasonable i will respond. Goose rules. If i enquire and no response i just assume it isnt available, no worries.

Question: As I understand the "goose rules", w/o ever having seen the firearm being sold, a seller is expected to PM in reply to a listing and say they will buy it. (Correct me if this is wrong.) So, what happens if some undisclosed defect in the firearm is noticed by the buyer after inspection when the parties meet and they refuse to go through with the sale. Would they then be at risk for negative NES feedback for violating the "goose rules"? If so, I don't see how any buyer could take the risk to agree to buy it under the "goose rules" sight unseen. What do ya think?

If a seller misrepresented or failed to disclose something that is not discovered until I have the gun in my hands and I then decide to pass on it, I damn well better not get negative feedback! In fact I'd be justified leaving negative if it was misrepresented and I wasted my time meeting someone only to discover that flaw.

Question: As I understand the "goose rules", w/o ever having seen the firearm being sold, a seller is expected to PM in reply to a listing and say they will buy it. (Correct me if this is wrong.) So, what happens if some undisclosed defect in the firearm is noticed by the buyer after inspection when the parties meet and they refuse to go through with the sale. Would they then be at risk for negative NES feedback for violating the "goose rules"? If so, I don't see how any buyer could take the risk to agree to buy it under the "goose rules" sight unseen. What do ya think?

I think most reasonable people would assume that any deal where the seller has misrepresented the condition, or failed to disclose a significant and obvious defect with the firearm, is null and void. Rep points and feedback be damned.

Back
Top Bottom