getting ghosted in classifieds

Who’s goose? And why am I expected to follow his rules when I don’t even know wtf he is?
My money. My rules.

Who’s goose? And why am I expected to follow his rules when I don’t even know wtf he is?
My money. My rules.
Goose is an NES member who chronicled a list of rules that most salesmen follow anyway on the forums, a code of conduct if you will. For example: Order of inquiries are responded to in the exact order they are received, if a buyer tries to offer lower than agreed upon at the site of the transaction then the deal gets called immediately off, etc. etc.

Goose is an NES member who chronicled a list of rules that most salesmen follow anyway on the forums, a code of conduct if you will. For example: Order of inquiries are responded to in the exact order they are received, if a buyer tries to offer lower than agreed upon at the site of the transaction then the deal gets called immediately off, etc. etc.

So, common sense, some adult courtesy and don’t be a dick. Actually I shouldn’t be surprised that we have to insist on that these days. People suck.

Last edited:
As I understand it, imposing "Goose Rules" in your listing is simply supposed to ward off jokers, time wasters and generally less than serious (non-)buyers.

However, in reality, it also tells very serious potential buyers (of which I consider myself one): "I'm going to be a hard-ass seller and you better kiss my ass and buy at my price regardless of condition or screw you"!

When I see that message in a listing, I automatically ignore it and move on. I deal with enough impatient belligerent a**h***s in my life. It's not worth it for whatever they are selling. I bend over backwards to please a buyer when I sell. I expect at least a small degree of common courtesy from other sellers.

OP - a lot of sellers on NES are not comfortable doing business with someone who is new, or who doesn't have many transactions under their belt. I have been around here for a while, but the bulk of my collection was purchased new from a local gun shop. This is primarily due to my schedule and the prices that are sometimes listed in the classifieds.
So many times I see a gun I am interested in, but the seller is asking more for their used gun than I can buy it for new at Four Seasons or Shooting Supply. I also like browsing when at the LGS and I really like getting the gun new, in it's factory box, with the plastic and grease still on it. I still have guns purchased a year ago that I just have not got around to shooting just because of time limitations. I spend most of my range time with my designated carry guns or HD guns.
I will say that all of my transactions with members have been as smooth as can be, and that most are good people. The problem is I have a hard enough time coordinating my own schedule to accomodate my hobby, add trying to find a time that works for someone else, at a place we can both agree to, and it becomes worth it to me to go to an FFL.
But don't sweat it if a seller goes dark. And as discouraging as NES sellers can be, it is still better than Gunbroker or Armslist.

My money. My rules.
"The Goose" is a member who posted his rules many years ago and since they make sense, a lot of us use them instead of listing a bunch of common sense rules for a transaction.

Here they are verbatim:

Goose Rules

The Goose's Disclaimer:
First and foremost if you want something I am selling then say “I will take it”. I do not consider questions or inquiries as a commitment of any sort. Terms like “I am interested” mean nothing. The fact that we may be having a dialogue does not mean that I am waiting for you to make a decision. The person who steps up and says “I will take it, when do we meet” closes the deal.
• I expect you to read the ad. Every single time I sell anything I get at least one and usually multiple questions about something that is already stated in the ad. Yes it has a 5” barrel AS STATED IN THE FREAKIN” AD!
• I expect YOU to know that you want the item. I am not a store. Do your own research and visit a gun shop if you just want to handle a particular gun. And no I will not meet you at your club so you can try it out to see if you like it. Of course you get to inspect the gun before you buy it, but barring a mechanical or condition issue I expect you to buy it. If you are not sure then do not waste my time. I once met a prospective buyer at the range so that he could try out a revolver I was selling. After trying it out and BSing for more then an hour he simply said that it just did not fit his hand right. WTF!
• If you want to negotiate that is fine, but do not start out by telling me that my price is too high. This is not a good way to make friends and influence people. I have never made a dime on any private sale ever. In fact I routinely lose money and have often cut deals for a friend. I may be asking more then you want to pay, but the price is never too high. Also as stated in the first item above I do not consider negotiating a form of commitment. If you are in the process of offering less then I am asking and someone else says “I will take it” then you lose. Don’t bitch at me.
• I reserve the right to sell to whoever the hell I want. Having said that I scrupulously sell to the first person who makes a firm commitment. Provided that person does not piss me off. Such as demanding that the transaction take place that day, when it does not work for me. Also do not assume that just because you are the first person to post a reply on the forum that you are also the first person to contact me directly. Not everyone posts a reply, some folks just PM an “I will take it”. I am not obligated to justify anything to some guy I have never met who demands to know why he did not get the deal when he believes he was the first in line. You may also rest assured that if you take that tack that you will also not be first in line if the initial deal falls through.
• Do not ask me if it is MA compliant. Actually, feel free to ask me, but if you are depending upon my answer without doing your own research then you should not even be participating in a private transaction. Do your own damn research.
• Do not agree to a deal on line and then offer me less when we meet. If that happens the deal is over, no matter what. A deal is a deal. The time to negotiate is during the initial transaction, once the deal is made that’s it.

^^^ My question was pretty much rhetorical, as again, in the end it’s my money and my reputation for each and every sale or purchase.

I know I shouldn’t be, but I’m just still amazed that adults need to have a list of rules of how to not be an a**h*** when buying something online. Doesn’t speak well for society’s maturity level these days.

Back
Top Bottom