Getting corn cob media out of .223

I use the 1014 grit for all of my case cleaning and I reload 223 on a Dillon 550. Since the brass has already been resized there is no need for a resizing die and station #1 is open. I substituted a Lee decapping only die for the resizer; this cleans out the primer pocket as part of the reloading process.

I Since the brass has already been resized there is no need for a resizing die and station #1 is open. I substituted a Lee decapping only die for the resizer; this cleans out the primer pocket as part of the reloading process.

Since I originally bought the full die set, I already had the sizer/decapper die. When I later bought the Dillon carbide die, I put it in the old Rock Chucker and did all the resizing/depriming there.

It made no sense to buy a decapper die at that point, so I use the original sizer/decapper in # 1 and run the cases through.

Here's my sequence:

1) Tumble polish with primer in place
2) Run through a Possum Hollow trimmer, set to just a little UNDER length, knowing that it will grow during full length sizing
3) OD and ID deburr
4) Lube
5) Insert in Dillon 550b, and run through the normal cycle.
6) Wipe off lube at the end of the processing.
7) Pack onto stripper clips
8) Use striplula to load mags
9) Insert mags in gun, and shoot, having great fun.
10) Pick up brass, and reload per above.

Note, my scenario above PRESUMES that it's all my brass, and has already been de-crimped.

If running virgin LC brass, I adjust the steps slightly:
1) Tumble polish with primer in place
2) Decap with Lee Universal de-capping tool in RCBS press
3) De-crimp with Dillon Super Swage
4) Trim to length with Possum Hollow trimmer, set to just a little UNDER length, knowing that it will grow during full length sizing
5) OD and ID deburr
6) Lube
7) Insert in Dillon 550b, and run through the normal cycle.
8) Wipe off lube at the end of the processing.
9) Pack onto stripper clips
10) Use striplula to load mags
11) Insert mags in gun, and shoot, having great fun.
12) Pick up brass, and reload per above.

Thanks for the suggestion and offer. I found a store near work that has it in stock. I'm picking up a 40 pound bag after lunch.

:)

RichC

For those that are interested, picked up the box of corn cob as suggested by R1ch and PMD (Lugnut) at Grainger in Framingham. Called this morning and they delivered it to the store by 11AM. It was $25 with tax.

So back to brass cleaning this weekend!

OH... and I picked up a used KelTec P11 9mm while I was out. It looks like it was hardly shot at all, but the slide shows some wear, probably from carry in a holster. I'm hoping to shoot it tomorrow!

try clamping a long thin screw or drill bit into a slow drill or slow electric screwdriver with just enough sticking out so the tip barely reaches the flash hole from the case mouth. Wear a glove and hold the case and plunge the screw/bit in the case mouth. It'll chew up and dig out the impacted media and if the length is right it'll open the flash hole without the screw threads getting caught in the hole. Follow it up with a look into the case for stuff plastered on the sidewall. I did this for a similar batch I had a problem with. Every once in a while I'll get a couple like this still and I use a skinny awl to clear it by hand.

DOH... I am a dumbass...

I bought some corn cob media, aka Lizard Litter, at Walmart recently. With 500 brass cases lubed, decapped and resized I threw them in the Dillon vibratory thingy with the corn cob media, a little Nufinish and a little mineral spirits, and let them run to get the lube off.

CRAP... I fell asleep and they ran all night. First the good news... I've never seen brass so clean and shiny. Now the bad news... the cases and primer pockets are packed with media.

So I'm wondering there is some creative way to clean them out without doing it one at a time? I threw the cases back Dillon tumbler without any media and got some cleaned out, but not a lot. I have some other thoughts:

- Put them in the oven and bake the corn cob crap, drying it out so that it might disintegrate to powder in the tumbler
- Boil them to see if the corn cob media turns to sludge that can be easily removed
- Use a torch to burn the media (my son's idea)

Just wondering if anyone has some clever method for getting these cleaned out.

Thanks,

Rich

Back
Top Bottom