• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting back to trap shooting

Have not been shooting trap for years- 15 at least... Forgot everything, dont even have a suitable shotgun. Thinking about getting o/u, something ubiquitous that I can use for trap and possibly field/skeet. People in the club ( I shoot rifle/pistol) are pointing towards expensive stuff and I am not sure how much I will enjoy trap, so I'd rather get something fairly robust with no thrills and at decent price. Any suggestions are welcome, price limit is probably $800-$1000...I would not mind even getting a decent used gun... Thanks...

Browning citori run in your pricerange used. Great trap over under guns I've been told.

Don't fixate on any gun, or style.

Go find a club where they shoot Trap, and talk to the Trapezoids. Try on a few for size (most clubs have people that are happy to let you try their toys).

My kid is a hell of a trap shot; he uses an 870.
I use either an A5 or S&W field gun; the misses are mine, not the guns'.

Find one that fits you physically, and mentally. You can only do that by trying them.

If you've been out of it for that long, you'd do better with a used 870, and spending the rest of the budget on ammo, to get your groove back. Then, you'll know what you need.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! No fit, no hit.

Have not been shooting trap for years- 15 at least... Forgot everything, dont even have a suitable shotgun. Thinking about getting o/u, something ubiquitous that I can use for trap and possibly field/skeet. People in the club ( I shoot rifle/pistol) are pointing towards expensive stuff and I am not sure how much I will enjoy trap, so I'd rather get something fairly robust with no thrills and at decent price. Any suggestions are welcome, price limit is probably $800-$1000...I would not mind even getting a decent used gun... Thanks...

You can buy a semi-auto Remington 1100 "Classic Trap" new for around $900 or a used one for several hundred less. It comes with a 30" barrel, so I'd suggest buying a shorter barrel for skeet. I strongly doubt that you can get a used Browning Citori for $1,000. I also use a Remington Competition for sporting clays, but it is around $1,400 new. For trap, my scores with the 1100 are just as good as anyone using a Perrazi or a $25,000 Kreighoff K-80 at my club.

You can buy a semi-auto Remington 1100 "Classic Trap" new for around $900 or a used one for several hundred less. It comes with a 30" barrel, so I'd suggest buying a shorter barrel for skeet. I strongly doubt that you can get a used Browning Citori for $1,000. I also use a Remington Competition for sporting clays, but it is around $1,400 new. For trap, my scores with the 1100 are just as good as anyone using a Perrazi or a $25,000 Kreighoff K-80 at my club.

Blue northern has had two used browning citori shotguns come in and go out of his hop in the last year.....both of them were tagged at about $900. I know because I drooled over them many times but never had the scratch to take either of them home. That number did not come out of thin air.

On another note....MR. Happy has the right idea. I only provided the advice on the browing because it seemed to be in your price range and is a very nice trap/field gun. I shoot trap with a Mossberg 500 12G 30 inch barrel with a fixed full choke.......cost me $150 used and I hit in the low 20's with it.......you don't need a big money gun to have a blast shooting trap.

Last edited:
i shoot with a pump action. its trap one clay..... love it.

- - - Updated - - -

go have fun for a while with a $500-600 semi . then if you like it great. if not then you have a nice field gun.

My pump is erm... a bit tactical :) But yeah maybe I should look into semis... Any suggestions? ...The only club that let you try different shotguns is Tiverton ( or at least they used to). FYI- I am in RI...

My pump is erm... a bit tactical :) But yeah maybe I should look into semis... Any suggestions? ...The only club that let you try different shotguns is Tiverton ( or at least they used to). FYI- I am in RI...

nothing tactical about my weatherby pa-08. 870 or weatherby sa-08

There's a young man at our club.....metal hanging from his face, odd clothes, crappy tats and a tactical shotgun.......he bust the sheet out the clays at trap.
Good kid and shoots well with that tactical 870.
I started with the gun I shot the most as a kid. 870. I shoot lefty. I never shouldered a Browning I couldn't bust clays with.
Un sure of what you may or may not like. Hit the clubs and try. Spending a 100 bucks or so o. Targets and ammo trying different guns will save you the 800 1000 buying a gun you may not use.
Citori field models can be found somewhat cheap. I found a nice field model
for 650.00 just a few years ago. Down side fixed chokes

Consider taking a ride up to the Kittery Trading Post. They have a ton of new and used shotguns that you can handle and shoulder, as well as new and more expensive shotguns behind the counter. You might be able to get a feel for certain models and you might even find a good used shotgun.

Don't fixate on any gun, or style.

Go find a club where they shoot Trap, and talk to the Trapezoids. Try on a few for size (most clubs have people that are happy to let you try their toys).

My kid is a hell of a trap shot; he uses an 870.
I use either an A5 or S&W field gun; the misses are mine, not the guns'.

Find one that fits you physically, and mentally. You can only do that by trying them.

If you've been out of it for that long, you'd do better with a used 870, and spending the rest of the budget on ammo, to get your groove back. Then, you'll know what you need.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! No fit, no hit.

DO THIS !!! Every range has people that will help you

You could also check at Wallum Lake R&G Club. There are people there that most likely would let you try their guns.
Also depending on whether or not my wife has any plans for this coming weekend I could meet you there on Saturday.
They have both Trap and Skeet so you could try both. The Remington 1100 as suggested is a good gun also Berretta has some nice semi's too in your price range. They have some nice O/U also but they are more expensive.
I have a couple of cheap Huglu O/U shotguns that I use for skeet and a Browning XT that I use for trap.
I have not been shooting either one in awhile but it could be a good time for me to get started again too.

Blue northern has had two used browning citori shotguns come in and go out of his hop in the last year.....both of them were tagged at about $900. I know because I drooled over them many times but never had the scratch to take either of them home. That number did not come out of thin air.

On another note....MR. Happy has the right idea. I only provided the advice on the browing because it seemed to be in your price range and is a very nice trap/field gun. I shoot trap with a Mossberg 500 12G 30 inch barrel with a fixed full choke.......cost me $150 used and I hit in the low 20's with it.......you don't need a big money gun to have a blast shooting trap.

There are different versions of Citori shotguns. A friend of mine just paid $2,100 for a used one in excellent condition.

Consider taking a ride up to the Kittery Trading Post. They have a ton of new and used shotguns that you can handle and shoulder, as well as new and more expensive shotguns behind the counter. You might be able to get a feel for certain models and you might even find a good used shotgun.

OK, forgive me for hijacking this thread, but:

1. Speaking of Kittery Trading Post - will they sell to MA LTC?!

2. thinking of getting into trap shooting - do I really need a $1000 shotgun or will 'entry level' shotgun do the work?

Beretta 391. KTP should have plenty including used ones.

/thread

I like my 391. I honestly did not know much about sporting shotguns before I bought one. I just wanted a good one that would allow me to participate in a variety of different games (trap, sporting clays, skeet, etc) and hunt. I think the 391 fits the bill. Plus, it is completely reliable with cheap walmart birdshot, which was an important factor for me.

OK, forgive me for hijacking this thread, but:

1. Speaking of Kittery Trading Post - will they sell to MA LTC?!

2. thinking of getting into trap shooting - do I really need a $1000 shotgun or will 'entry level' shotgun do the work?

Read my initial post. I spent $150 on a 12G mossy 500 30 inch barrel fixed full choke and hit low 20s on the trap range with it. It is not "ideal" as far as trap standards go because it is a full choke and can't change out to more open chokes. But it works for me. Guy I meet on Wednesday nights in Georgetown use remmy 870 pump guns and lots of basic single shot break opens and they do fine.

Read my initial post. I spent $150 on a 12G mossy 500 30 inch barrel fixed full choke and hit low 20s on the trap range with it. It is not "ideal" as far as trap standards go because it is a full choke and can't change out to more open chokes. But it works for me. Guy I meet on Wednesday nights in Georgetown use remmy 870 pump guns and lots of basic single shot break opens and they do fine.

Thanks for your response. Can you please school me on "fixed full choke" vs. something else? Completely new to shotguns.

Thanks for your response. Can you please school me on "fixed full choke" vs. something else? Completely new to shotguns.

Yup no problem at all.

Most modern (new bought) shotguns come with threads at the muzzle end of the shotgun. My gun is an older model mossy 500 that is fixed full and therefore no threads are on the muzzle to allow for choke tubes to be threaded into it. Adjustable muzzles allows the use of adjustable choke tubes that screw into the muzzle. What the choke does is allow for a tighter or looser pattern of pellets as they come out of the barrel. The gun without any chokes installed is called "cylinder bore" which is basically wide open and spreads the shot out a lot. "improved cylinder" "modified improved" and "full" are some chokes that can be installed and those are going from most open to most restricted. Most trap shooters would consider full choke to be a bit tight for trap shooting as the shot does not spread out much making the shooter have to be more "on target" to hit the clay. "Cylinder bore" would be considered by most as to open of a choke as it will spread the shot out quickly leaving "holes" in the pattern so that the shooter may actually be on target and miss the clay.

Tighter chokes can be purchased for hunting turkey such as "xtra full" and some even called "gobbler getters" as turkey hunters are going for the head of the turkey and want a very tight pattern.

So for a beginner trap shotgun if you can find an 870 Remington or 500 Mossberg (both pump action) with an adjustable choke on the muzzle you'll be good to go. ANd these guns can double up as pheasant season, turkey season, even deer season guns to fire slugs! I consider my mossy 500 a true swiss army knife of shotguns......I use it for all my hunting and trap shooting!

Here is some good reading for you on chokes:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MediaPages/ArticleDetail.aspx?mediaid=20

Last edited:
Whacko is petty much dead-on.

New shooters (and old folks, like me) often need a more-full choke than my kid, who goes PULLBANG - I'm more along the lines of Pull....bang. If you acquire the target quickly, a more open choke is for you. If you take the birds further away, a more full choke is better.

Don't over-think it. There are too many variables to worry about. Get an inexpensive gun that fits you. Shoot some; talk to experienced Trapezoids. Honestly, a more important thing than choke is body mechanics, consistency of mount, keeping your head down, following through, and not moving your feet between each shot.

My son began to shoot Trap with a Modified choke 20 ga, and was shooting 21-23 before he stole my 12.

It's not rocket surgery.

Yup no problem at all.

Most modern (new bought) shotguns come with threads at the muzzle end of the shotgun. My gun is an older model mossy 500 that is fixed full and therefore no threads are on the muzzle to allow for choke tubes to be threaded into it. Adjustable muzzles allows the use of adjustable choke tubes that screw into the muzzle. What the choke does is allow for a tighter or looser pattern of pellets as they come out of the barrel. The gun without any chokes installed is called "cylinder bore" which is basically wide open and spreads the shot out a lot. "improved cylinder" "modified improved" and "full" are some chokes that can be installed and those are going from most open to most restricted. Most trap shooters would consider full choke to be a bit tight for trap shooting as the shot does not spread out much making the shooter have to be more "on target" to hit the clay. "Cylinder bore" would be considered by most as to open of a choke as it will spread the shot out quickly leaving "holes" in the pattern so that the shooter may actually be on target and miss the clay.

Tighter chokes can be purchased for hunting turkey such as "xtra full" and some even called "gobbler getters" as turkey hunters are going for the head of the turkey and want a very tight pattern.

So for a beginner trap shotgun if you can find an 870 Remington or 500 Mossberg (both pump action) with an adjustable choke on the muzzle you'll be good to go. ANd these guns can double up as pheasant season, turkey season, even deer season guns to fire slugs! I consider my mossy 500 a true swiss army knife of shotguns......I use it for all my hunting and trap shooting!

Here is some good reading for you on chokes:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MediaPages/ArticleDetail.aspx?mediaid=20

Thank you sir!! I appreciate the lengthy explanation. I have some reading to do [smile]. And I am not a hunter, so the most I'll use it for is trap and for "Joe Biden Style" home defense [wink]

Whacko is petty much dead-on.

New shooters (and old folks, like me) often need a more-full choke than my kid, who goes PULLBANG - I'm more along the lines of Pull....bang. If you acquire the target quickly, a more open choke is for you. If you take the birds further away, a more full choke is better.

Don't over-think it. There are too many variables to worry about. Get an inexpensive gun that fits you. Shoot some; talk to experienced Trapezoids. Honestly, a more important thing than choke is body mechanics, consistency of mount, keeping your head down, following through, and not moving your feet between each shot.

My son began to shoot Trap with a Modified choke 20 ga, and was shooting 21-23 before he stole my 12.

It's not rocket surgery.

Mr. Happy,
My 12 year old has been shooting trap with me. Last season he was able to hit 6-9 per round. Started again last week and he was upset he got a 3 and then a goose egg on his second round. I'm an odd duck......picked up a scatter gun and am able to bust 20 first time out......don't know why I'm just weird that way. I am terrible at teaching trap cuz I honestly don't know how I do it.......I just can.

DO you know of a place I can take him for a lesson or two at a reasonable cost.......some actual one on one instruction?

Where are you located?

Simple works: Lock the trap for straight-aways, let the youngster see them break. Then, move one station right, or left, and repeat. Build the confidence before you go to the oscillating trap.

Missing a few puts rats in the brain - you start thinking about the one you just missed, not the one you're calling for. I've seen it more in kids, but grown-ups can get it too....ask me how I know! [laugh]

Seriously, getting discouraged is the easiest way to miss, and I know them all....and keep finding new ones.

As a motivator, use the Winchester Shotgun Qualification program....the patches are cool! [wink]

Mr. Happy,
My 12 year old has been shooting trap with me. Last season he was able to hit 6-9 per round. Started again last week and he was upset he got a 3 and then a goose egg on his second round. I'm an odd duck......picked up a scatter gun and am able to bust 20 first time out......don't know why I'm just weird that way. I am terrible at teaching trap cuz I honestly don't know how I do it.......I just can.

DO you know of a place I can take him for a lesson or two at a reasonable cost.......some actual one on one instruction?

It could be the gun fits you better.
If you really want to see how you are shooting your shotgun you need a patterning board or something similar where you can check point of aim/point of impact.
He could also be cross eye dominant or not mounting the gun consistently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom