• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting back into the archery/bow hunting game...

Hard to take the test seriously. They neglected to test some of the toughest and IMHO best heads on the market. No VAP - seriously? No Bishop Archery heads? I know they're pricey but still, you get what you pay for. To leave them out is just poor. A useful test would include them so people could make an educated decision on the performance difference vs the price difference. No Grizzley Stick either...

People can poo poo mechanicals all they want but they do not know it all. Not even close.

I use strictly NAP Spitfires and have shot through shoulders and upper front leg bones (on exit) numerous times. I have never had a failure. In tight neighborhood spots I purposely shoot the shoulder out to keep them from dying in someones yard. Last doe I did this was 142 lbs. In the Front shoulder, out through the offside leg bone and buried 8 inches in the ground. Deer bulldozed 30 yards pushing her chest on the ground only being able to propel herself with her hind legs.

Not long after I took a 42 yard shot at an 172 lb 8 pointer. I missed my spot by about 4 inches too far forward. Again smashed the shoulder and broke the offside leg. Then on exit the arrow smashed in a shower of sparks when it hit a large boulder just beyond the deer. Deer ran 40 yards and expired.

535 grain arrow at 285 feet per second and 95 ft/lbs of KE is nice insurance incase your shot is not perfect

Pick a well made and durable mechanical and you will be fine.

I have to disagree with you, based on the science my friend. 27+ years of research done by Dr. Ed Ashby.

View: https://youtu.be/VAeuVFSHA1E

Some may or may not choose to accept the science for their specific use case though and that is fine. Everyone gets to make their own choice. That's not to say all other choices are bad either. But the research is there and the science is solid. It's been peer-reviewed and reproduced by other studies and in the field over the decades since. The results have been universally accepted and are considered scientific law on the topic at this point. There has never been a research paper or study conducted since that has contradicted his findings and conclusions.

Despite this, some people still prefer using broadheads outside of what the science has identified as the most effective. Admittedly single bevel heads don't look sexy, and that is probably what sells more broadheads than anything else. But there is no denying their superiority against other designs.

In your specific case, you're generating a ton of KE, which is why you can use a mechanical and still get pass-throughs with the bone hitting shots you describe on whitetail sized game. I would imagine them to be quite effective for you with that setup. I would be interested in seeing a pic of the broadhead after a shot like that... What's left of it anyway.

But consider that your personal configuration and experience using it will not match the average bowhunter. The average hunter is nowhere near your KE. You can only generate that kind of KE with a combination of a long draw length and a high poundage setup... What are you shooing? 80 pounds at 29 or 30 inches? That's not typical by any means. Most bows sold don't even go that high on the draw weight. But in your specific case, I can see a strong argument being made for a mechanical. It's just that your case is unique. I would venture to guess that well over 90% of bow hunters out there aren't generating that kind of KE.

The average bow hunter is probably around 60 to 70# KE.

Last edited:
84 lbs and 29 inches with a 535 grain arrow.

I agree with mechanicals, especially large diameter mechanicals, that extra KE is mandatory. In my opinion 70 +ft/lbs of KE.

With lower KE I agree absolutely fixed blades are a much better choice unless you only take absolute slam dunk perfect shots.

Stopped in to Jerry’s tonight he is a great guy down to earth and wealth of knowledge. I had hoped to get the Hoyt powermax after recommendations but having a 32” draw length no go and I am also a lefty.
So we discussed my options and decided I am going to wait to October when the new bows come out and see what they make in 32” draw length.

Good shop I did buy a few saltwater jigs while I was there wish I lived closer.

Did you ever get your bow?

Back
Top Bottom