• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting back into reloading.

Brian Enos has a very informative overview of all the Dillions you might be interested in called "Which Dillion?". He also includes option recommendations and complete system costs.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#650/1050

I bought all of my Dillon stuff from Brian. I actually got to speak to the legend when I had a pre-sales question.

All his stuff drop ships from Dillon, so there is no downside to ordering from him. Brian has a unique arrangement with Dillon. If you don't know the story, he helped to make dillon what it is in the 80s. He was at top of his game and was very vocal in his admiration for the Dillon equipment he reloaded on.

- - - Updated - - -

If you decide on a 650 be aware of one sore spot at least to me. Changing the primer cup assembly is a royal pain. I coundn't
find a wrench that would fit in the space and using pliers ends up mangling the part. Ended up buying a 2nd 650,easier to change out the whole machine

Changing from large to small primer is generally a pain on the 650. Shortly after I found this out, I nabbed a 650 on USPSA.com for $800 with a huge number of extras. (.223, .40, .38Super complete caliber conversions including dies, tool heads and powder drops, plus 3 more tool heads and powder drops. plus all kinds of things)

I sold off the extras I didn't need in 2 large lots and basically got the press for free. Such a deal. I'm happy to have two 650s and the .223 and .40 setups I kept. But I'd still be happy with it if I only had one.

The one MUST have accessory for the 650 is this. I'd never own a 650 without this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-6...053?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4434fd4d

$(KGrHqJHJEUFGrjHTgftBRzu6EVPq!~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:
If someone reamed and threaded a bare toolhead to except lnl bushings, I would get a 650 in a minute.

I have to ask why, the Dillon toolhead system is superior to the LNL bushings and is only $25 vs $15 for 3 bushings. I think the tool head is stiffer and more precise.

Chris

So Saturday I made a quick trip up to Rileys for a look at all (well three) of the Dillon presses. All look very capable of cranking out ammo in a hurry. I had a nice conversation with Roy at the reloading counter who pointed out that "when all is said and done, the 650 is only about $125 more than the 550". A member here had earlier told me this would be the case. Since I will start out with reloading only .45 and 9mm, and later intend to also load for rifle, I'm inclined to go ahead and get the 650, but it's going to take awhile to save up for it.
-Mike

I bought all of my Dillon stuff from Brian. I actually got to speak to the legend when I had a pre-sales question.

All his stuff drop ships from Dillon, so there is no downside to ordering from him. Brian has a unique arrangement with Dillon. If you don't know the story, he helped to make dillon what it is in the 80s. He was at top of his game and was very vocal in his admiration for the Dillon equipment he reloaded on.

- - - Updated - - -

Changing from large to small primer is generally a pain on the 650. Shortly after I found this out, I nabbed a 650 on USPSA.com for $800 with a huge number of extras. (.223, .40, .38Super complete caliber conversions including dies, tool heads and powder drops, plus 3 more tool heads and powder drops. plus all kinds of things)

I sold off the extras I didn't need in 2 large lots and basically got the press for free. Such a deal. I'm happy to have two 650s and the .223 and .40 setups I kept. But I'd still be happy with it if I only had one.

The one MUST have accessory for the 650 is this. I'd never own a 650 without this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-6...053?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4434fd4d

$(KGrHqJHJEUFGrjHTgftBRzu6EVPq!~~60_57.JPG

I got a similar set up using a length of tygon tubing drops the spent primers into a trash barrel underneath my bench.

How much do you plan to shoot?
I'll be shooting that .45 a LOT.

How much time do you have available to spend reloading?
Aye, there's the rub... I work lots, 5 1/2 days a week, so I will need to crank out a mess in a short period of time.

The budget is getting pretty strained and wouldn't handle anything over a 550.
I guess my real question should have been-
"What's it like to load rifle cartridges on a RL550B?"
Thanks, Mike
As a person that used a 550, and a 650, I would say that the 550 is the perfect press for 75% of the reloaders out there. Its a glorified single stage press. Caliber conversions are dirt cheap on it, and its simple to adjust. Do not let anyone sell you on a 650 if you dont need it. Again, in my opinion, the 550 is a much better press than the 650 for rifle ammo anyway. With handgun ammo, i can easily hit 500 rounds an hour without trying to hard. I can go faster, but i have no need to.

If you do get the 550 though, you better make damn sure you index the machine the moment the ram goes down. Make it muscle memory and practice it day in and day out. The one downside to the 550 is that you can double charge a case if you dont pay attention to the manual indexing of the machine.

I guess if I were to see (another!) screaming deal on an RL550B come up, I would not rule it out. I used my old RL550 for several years back in 80's and early 90's without any mistakes I can recall. I did break something and Mike D took care of it right away...can't for the life of me remember what it was though. If I am going to buy new, I will save and get the XL, but if another deal like I missed the boat on yesterday should present itself, I'll be on it. As fast as they come up, they get sold, so if I am lucky enough to score a deal on one, I shouldn't lose much if I want to move up to the XL.
Leewongfei, thank you for the sage advice!
-Mike

Well the screaming deal I hoped for has happened and I'll be picking up an RL-550B on Saturday! Now I will need to concentrate on the other stuff I am going to need...like a reloading bench for starters...
Now I am psyched! [smile]
Thanks, Mike

Well the screaming deal I hoped for has happened and I'll be picking up an RL-550B on Saturday! Now I will need to concentrate on the other stuff I am going to need...like a reloading bench for starters...
Now I am psyched! [smile]
Thanks, Mike

Lots of industrial benches in Lowell on craigslist, and more farther afield.
This one in Rowley may be a deal... May need some touchup but it's already the right color!
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/for/4830655864.html

That craigslist bench looks good. I went for a new bench off Global Industrial and it's solid enough to last a lifetime (would buy again if I needed more).

That craigslist bench looks good. I went for a new bench off Global Industrial and it's solid enough to last a lifetime (would buy again if I needed more).

Good price for that bench with the top - The "lowell" benches I referenced in my prior are similar and more expensive, used on Craigslist, altho some of those have overhead lights and are anti-static (electronics tech workbenches.)

I got a similar set up using a length of tygon tubing drops the spent primers into a trash barrel underneath my bench.

That isn't for spent primers; that cup is for new primers dumped out and unused because the machine was indexed without using the primer. One of the guys on NES makes & sells a piece that "disconnects" the primer advance so this isn't as much of a problem when cooking up new loads.

Lots of industrial benches in Lowell on craigslist, and more farther afield.
This one in Rowley may be a deal... May need some touchup but it's already the right color!
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/for/4830655864.html
Very nice! Thanks for the link. I'll need to measure my space though so as not to come home with something too big or too high. Probably load in the basement or maybe the garage...
Mike

That isn't for spent primers; that cup is for new primers dumped out and unused because the machine was indexed without using the primer. One of the guys on NES makes & sells a piece that "disconnects" the primer advance so this isn't as much of a problem when cooking up new loads.
Hi bigblue, would that work on 550 as well as 650? Something for (inexperienced) me to consider?
Thanks, Mike

Hi bigblue, would that work on 550 as well as 650? Something for (inexperienced) me to consider?
Thanks, Mike

Well since the 550 is manually indexed, you shouldn't have the same problem with dispensing unused primers. Many of the "fixes/upgrades" for the 650 are the result of the auto indexing and users trying to cook up loads. In other words, interrupting the reloading process partially through indexing results in "extra" components that need to go somewhere.

Well since the 550 is manually indexed, you shouldn't have the same problem with dispensing unused primers. Many of the "fixes/upgrades" for the 650 are the result of the auto indexing and users trying to cook up loads. In other words, interrupting the reloading process partially through indexing results in "extra" components that need to go somewhere.

Ah...now I get it, Thanks!
-Mike

I want to start reloading .223 this year but I will probably pick up a used single stage to help my 650.

Back
Top Bottom