• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting back into reloading - need some advice

EddieZoom

NES Member
Hey All.

After a 12 year hiatus I've decided to dust off my Dillion press and pick up reloading again. Used to shoot a lot of .45 back in the day and reloading was the only way to feed my habit without breaking the bank.

Looks like I still have most of what I need...may need to splurge on a digital scale and still need a decent bench.

Looking for advice on location. For those of you who have a basement setup, what do you do (if anything) to safeguard against keeping powder/primers separated from basement hazards (water heater, boiler) ? I've got a great spot in my basement for a bench, but I'm concerned that it's a little too close to things with open flame.

2nd choice for a location is my garage...but that would turn reloading into a three season activity. No heat. Plus I'd have to shuffle cars around anytime I wanted to make some ammo...not great.

Thanks.

Will the press be right on top of an open flame? Unless you somehow manage to get the powder suspended in the air, I don't think you'll have an issue in the basement. Be smart with your powder, primers, and the rest of your supplies and you should be fine.

BTW, powder isn't like gasoline fumes. You need direct contact with the flame to set it off. Even then, unless the charge is under compression, or you shock it (if Bullseye) at most you'll get a burn (not a BANG). If your basement is dry enough, you should be ok leaving the powder in the charger. If not, just put the unused portion back into it's container when done with that reloading session.

If you're really paranoid, you could look to install a venting hood above where the press will be. Run the ducting to the outside and just run the fan when you're reloading. I made something to do that job for spraying Cerakote, and brewing (propane burners) in the basement here. You can do it for pretty short money.

As for a good scale, Acme Armaments (in Londonderry, NH) has a good one for short money. It's a Franford Arsenal digital scale that's small enough to go into your pocket. Comes with a pan and calibration weights. Under $30 (don't remember the exact price). Go there, visit a very nice shop, play with Dad (their dog), etc.

I load in a basement with a furnace. Basically, as golddiggie said, there are no fumes, like gasoline, or cleaning solvents, so as long as they are some distance away, and do not make contact with flame, you will be OK. Also make sure if you spill powder you won't track it near any flame sources.

I use the lower half of my toolbox to store powders, primers, reloading tools, and brass, each on a different drawer. I did it that way when I was in MA, when I had to lock it, but it works out well, so I still keep them there.

You also do not have to worry about shocking bullseye into ignition, because the only way to get bullseye is to go to Pandora and fight 20 foot tall smurfs.

You also do not have to worry about shocking bullseye into ignition, because the only way to get bullseye is to go to Pandora and fight 20 foot tall smurfs.

Yeah, but the smurfs are real pussies... I have two pounds of Bullseye on hand. Had another pound, but sold it to someone desperate for it. [rofl2] I actually have both containers on the floor in my office at home. Love not having to deal with moronic storage laws... [laugh]

BTW, powder isn't like gasoline fumes. You need direct contact with the flame to set it off.

Not true , a hot surface can set it off. Ever heard of a cook off with a close bolt machine gun ?

I've set powder off putting a cig out in my ash tray that I forgot I poured the powder from a 54r in to . That shit went up fast !

Not true , a hot surface can set it off. Ever heard of a cook off with a close bolt machine gun ?

I've set powder off putting a cig out in my ash tray that I forgot I poured the powder from a 54r in to . That shit went up fast !

A hot surface is intentional. I've heard internet tales of a 'close bolt cook-off' but never seen one happen (in person). Also, reloading setups are NOT the same as firing hundreds (or thousands) of rounds through a full-auto machine gun (in a short amount of time). It's like saying you can cook a pizza in the same pot you boil pasta in (using boiling water).

As for the cig ash where you put the powder from the cartridge... That's just being careless... Again, not a good comparison to where he'll be reloading. Also, smoking while reloading is not smart. Bordering on moronic.

I've had a round cook off in my ar so it dose happen. I've seen it happen in different guns in videos when there trying to break a gun.

You said you need a open flame witch isn't true. I just wanted to point it out, since he'll know to avoid setting his reloading setup near a source of heat . Like base board heater etc . Could bump the can/bottle of powder over and get on the base board heater under the table.

Me putting a butt out in powder was pretty dumb lol . I was pulling a bullet to compare a few different type I had . Ran to the store and forgot to dump it out.

I've had a round cook off in my ar so it dose happen. I've seen it happen in different guns in videos when there trying to break a gun.

You said you need a open flame witch isn't true. I just wanted to point it out, since he'll know to avoid setting his reloading setup near a source of heat . Like base board heater etc . Could bump the can/bottle of powder over and get on the base board heater under the table.

Me putting a butt out in powder was pretty dumb lol . I was pulling a bullet to compare a few different type I had . Ran to the store and forgot to dump it out.

Trying to break a gun is a whole different animal. For you having the round cook-off, I'd need more details before I believe it (not in this thread).

Dumping powder on heaters, etc. is really, really, REALLY stupid. I highly doubt any intelligent person would think about putting their reloading setup where that could happen (even by accident).

There's no cure for being stupid, it's terminal (or should be).

Some rooms have heaters all the way around .. So if your setup up against the wall.
Your setup is in the center of the room so your safe .

Since he's looking to set up in the basement, chances are very low he'll encounter those. IF you wanted to put your press close to baseboard heating elements, that are not shielded well enough, then I would suggest making/getting some shields to put over them. Or offset the table far enough to not have an issue.

My father's reloading setup, in FL, was a shelf built into a closet in the third bedroom/office. That's something that could be done up here too. IF there's baseboard heating elements in a room, chances are they stop before the closet. If they're too close for your liking, then shield them to prevent any powder (or live primers) from falling onto the hot elements.

Personally, I like the basement idea better. 4 season reloading, more temperature stable (typically), and you can get away from others in the house, without needing a jacket (probably).

Thanks everyone.

No worries with baseboard heat at my basement location, wall is clear. Bench would be about located 8-10 feet away from water heater/furnace. Not terrible...I'm probably being a little paranoid.

Got another one. Part of my stash includes primers & powder which are now at least 12 years old. All were stored in original containers in a cool dry place. What are the chances these will go "bang" when I pull the trigger ?

Thanks everyone.

No worries with baseboard heat at my basement location, wall is clear. Bench would be about located 8-10 feet away from water heater/furnace. Not terrible...I'm probably being a little paranoid.

Got another one. Part of my stash includes primers & powder which are now at least 12 years old. All were stored in original containers in a cool dry place. What are the chances these will go "bang" when I pull the trigger ?

Load a primer in a shell with out powder or a bullet and try it out..

Thanks everyone.

Got another one. Part of my stash includes primers & powder which are now at least 12 years old. All were stored in original containers in a cool dry place. What are the chances these will go "bang" when I pull the trigger?

IMO, rather good if they look like they're in good condition. Unless they've been compromised by something, they should be fine.

Thanks everyone.

Smell the powder. If it smells acidic/peppery or if there's any rust in it (assuming it's in a metal can), then I wouldn't use it. If you get a faint whiff of solvent off the powder, it is probably good.

I wouldn't throw the primers away, but I wouldn't use them for match, self-defense, or any other ammo that HAD to go BANG.

Thanks everyone.

I like you got back into reloading but after about 30 years. My bench is about 10-12 feet from a gas hot water heater. I am not concerned at all about that. I keep my powders and primers in a metal cabinet the has a golden rod and desiccant in it for the summer time for the humidity concerns. I had some old primers that I had and randomly tested 10 of them and they went bang so I used them with no issues. But like said, not match grade.

Welcome back, I am using a 35 year old Lyman Spar T and I did buy a digital scale. You will find it even more satisfying, at least I do....

And the crippling fear spreads. OP, take a handful of powder and toss it onto/into something with an open/radiant flame.

It'll burn. Not your house down. Not blotting out the sun. BFD. If you're truly worried about it, get your Brother-in-Law to do it. Then when that little chore is done, throw some primers onto the same appliance. They might pop. Ooooooooooooh!

Better yet, make a pile in the driveway and a trail a few feet away. Light it. It'll burn. Oooooooooooooooh!

And the crippling fear spreads. OP, take a handful of powder and toss it onto/into something with an open/radiant flame.

It'll burn. Not your house down. Not blotting out the sun. BFD. If you're truly worried about it, get your Brother-in-Law to do it. Then when that little chore is done, throw some primers onto the same appliance. They might pop. Ooooooooooooh!

Better yet, make a pile in the driveway and a trail a few feet away. Light it. It'll burn. Oooooooooooooooh!

Pretty much... Unless the stuff is under compression, or a powder that required compression and/or being shocked, it's not going to do much. Toss a pound (or larger) can of powder into an open fire pit and the reaction will [probably] be bigger (more than just the increase in volume).

I want to know something... When did the country get filled up with nervous Nelly's???

Thanks everyone.

Providing an update for those who might stumble upon this post. Made a few small test batches with old powder and old primers and had absolutely no issues. Good to go.

BTW, I'm thinking the powder is closer to 20 years old...store in a cool, dry place...damn right !!!

Back
Top Bottom