• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting a new Motorcycle, bc CA is retarded

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
CA has a rule that a used vehicle is really a brand spanking new vehicle if it has less than 7500 miles. Even if it's be titled and registered in another state. Even if you moved here with it as opposed to having gone to Nevada and just bought it.
IIRC, back in the mid-2000's, Mass and seven or so other states had a similar law that killed the sale of VW diesels.
Mass dealers couldn't sell them new because they weren't emission compliant for the higher standard Mass had instituted.
The dealers went apeshit because they had customers for them, but couldn't legally sell them.
If you wanted one with the intent of registering it in Mass, you had to find a used one with over 7500mi on the odometer, which usually meant buying it out of state.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just needed to find a shop that ‘builds’ custom Harleys = splice VIN from an exempt old junker with title. Friends of family do this for Baja prerunners. Basically a new road legal race truck.

What area did you land in? Glad I moved out decades ago but I always enjoy visiting. Hang in there, you’ll find some fun stuff to do.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
What I'm learning here is that some people don't know not to move to CA.

And this coming from a guy who moved to MA. Admittedly I was young and naive, but still.
If you are active and love outdoor stuff CA cant be beat.

The roads there are the best in the US for motorcycles.

But,if all you care about is guns and watching TV and sports ball teams,CA may not be for you.

The politics are getting out of hand though.

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Can’t you make it temporarily compliant with pipes and maybe programming? Dealers must deal with it maybe private mechanics.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

But,if all you care about is guns and watching TV and sports ball teams,CA may not be for you.

Don't forget the taxes too^

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Especially if you are buying it from a northern state. My bike doesn't have many miles, but even when I rode more, I'd be lucky to get 2K miles in a year.
I had an interesting conversation last Friday with a couple of guys at the Weirs in Laconia...they were from Arizona, looking for used bikes for sale here in NH...they said that where we from the Northeast go to the south or southwest to buy cars (no rust), they come to New England to look for motorcycles because of the relatively low miles on them. They were looking for the usual owners with for sale signs on their m'cycles there.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What I'm learning here is that some people don't know not to move to CA.

And this coming from a guy who moved to MA. Admittedly I was young and naive, but still.
ahah yeah well I got a job offer at a prestigious buy-side firm doubling my salary....It will set me up for similar opportunities back east once I get a couple years experience here. This was by no means a permanent relocation for me, just a career shortcut.

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Totally agree..I was contemplating moving back there and guns werent even part of the equation because I would be happy with my bolt action precision rifle and a Hk pistol.

In the end I couldnt move back because of the politics and new feel good laws that seem to get drafted every week. The cost of living was a major factor as well,but I could get by.

Was nice wearing shorts and a hoody all Winter though lol
Tennesse, the Carolinas and Georgia are beautiful and have reasonable political climates and sane gun laws. They're affordable, and don't have new feel good laws getting drafted every week - in short - none of the negatives.

I live outside of Savannah in Georgia. The downside is that it's brutally hot in the summer. I summer in New England, but I'm fortunate that my job allows me that luxury. I enjoy the Low Country the rest of the year, "shorts and a hoody" in the winter for me also. Western Georgia has a different climate, it's nowhere near as hot. I chose the coast because I love the ocean and wanted easy access to the interstate and airport.

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
ahah yeah well I got a job offer at a prestigious buy-side firm doubling my salary....It will set me up for similar opportunities back east once I get a couple years experience here. This was by no means a permanent relocation for me, just a career shortcut.
You can do almost anything for a finite period of time. This sounds like a good investment in your future.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tennesse, the Carolinas and Georgia are beautiful and have reasonable political climates and sane gun laws. They're affordable, and don't have new feel good laws getting drafted every week - in short - none of the negatives.

I live outside of Savannah in Georgia. The downside is that it's brutally hot in the summer. I summer in New England, but I'm fortunate that my job allows me that luxury. I enjoy the Low Country the rest of the year, "shorts and a hoody" in the winter for me also. Western Georgia has a different climate, it's nowhere near as hot. I chose the coast because I love the ocean and wanted easy access to the interstate and airport.
As much as some of those states are friendly towards gun laws, there are other things about them that aren't so great compared to Mass. Not many but some. Mary Jane laws for example. Getting paid for your vaca time when you quit a job would be another... Lots of people in MA take that for granted but there are only a few states that require that - MA being one. As stupid as MA is about a lot of things, there are some things that are actually pretty good compared to a great many other states.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me get this straight - you HAVE to register it? What if you said FU I'm not taking it on Commiefornia roads. It's just going to sit in my garage where I can stare at it.
why would I want to do that? I didn't move out here with the bike to have it be a garage decoration. And if I rode it unregistered, I'd have to risk the consequences of driving an unregistered vehicle. Not really worth it.

Reactions: AHM
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
why would I want to do that? I didn't move out here with the bike to have it be a garage decoration. And if I rode it unregistered, I'd have to risk the consequences of driving an unregistered vehicle. Not really worth it.
I'm not suggesting you do. I merely suggesting you tell the state to FO, you're not registering it - period. Then trade it in and ship it off out of state and be done with it.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have kept your Harley and joined a club that Emissions are the last thing the cops are worried about...
<Hells Angels MC California>​
Plus, their BBQ's are OUTSTANDING...!
I realized that Bike Week was not a tourist event
precisely when I heard someone talk about a campfire
that had been fueled by throwing a ricer on the already-burning logs.

I wouldn't risk getting yourself screwed over but you could make sure you eat a lot of nasty stuff and locate yourself near a politicians home and when you're ready to go knock on their door and tell them you broke down and that you really need to use the bathroom bad and if they let you in leave a dump so bad and don't flush it and hopefully when they come in and flush it the toilet will clog and the water full of shit will overflow all over their floor.
[bow]
I retroactively give you the Rich Internal Life Post of the Day Award for 17-Apr'19.

The only upside to being in CA is 300+ days of sunshine a year. I guess the landscapes and outdoor activities are good too, but honestly none of it is enough to offset the mind virus epidemic here.
Just wait until the virus virus epidemic breaks out...

I didn't move out here with the bike to have it be a garage decoration. And if I rode it unregistered, I'd have to risk the consequences of driving an unregistered vehicle.
Consequences?
You're not thinking with your California Brain yet....
Put a Mexican plate on it and be done with it.
...just drive ride it on The Card.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That sucks... but I'm a little happy cause it's just so utterly ridiculous I have to laugh. Sorry about the CA part of the move to CA. SoCal was gorgeous when I was out there.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me get this straight - you HAVE to register it? What if you said FU I'm not taking it on Commiefornia roads. It's just going to sit in my garage where I can stare at it.
If you want to know, just buy a used car from California.

Then try to register it in any other state.

California won't release the title if there are any back registrations due, and they don't care if it sat it a barn for 40 years: all vehicles in CA must be registered, whether on the road or not.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So here is how retarded CA is. I moved to CA in Sept with my 2017 harley fatboy. I hardly rode it my first year, it has only 2500 miles on it. It is a "49 state bike" meaning it, even in stock from, doesn't comply with CA's commie bullshit. So......

I went in December to try to register it and was basically told I can't. I had already started a CA registration application at this time. So I left the DMV with the understanding that I moved here with a brand new motorcycle that I can't legally ride here. Neato.

CA has a rule that a used vehicle is really a brand spanking new vehicle if it has less than 7500 miles. Even if it's be titled and registered in another state. Even if you moved here with it as opposed to having gone to Nevada and just bought it.

So here I am with a nearly new bike that I can never legally ride in CA, that I'm making payments on. Pretty neat huh.

So I recently decided to just sell the f***ing thing via a trade in and get a new motorcycle. Decided on Ducati Diavel 1260S. I used to have a Diavel, loved it, but for some dumb reason was itching for a HD. Now I'm really excited to get back on a technologically advanced, non HD retard bike. Yay.

Now, it gets more interesting.

Yesterday I get a threatening letter from the CA DMV telling me that I have an "incomplete registration" because I never finished registering my motorcycle. My options are 1) register it, 2) prove i moved it out of state and registered it in another state, or 3) prove I sold it by completing a Transfer and Release of Liability. So Option 3 it is.

Well the back of the Notice of Transfer and release of Liability states that my name won't be removed from their system until the new owner completes transfer paper work (i.e. retitles it in their name).
The difficulty is, the Ducati dealer doesn't want a f***ing harley so a wholesaler is taking it. The wholesaler is going to throw it on a truck and sell it somewhere, likely not in CA. So if the wholesaler puts it on a truck and sends it to Ohio and titles it there, how the f*** is CA every going to get proof it was retitled and remove my f***ing name?

My dealer told me the wholesaler knows and doesn't give a shit about the fact that it can't be registered in CA because it ain't staying in CA.

I call the DMV and get different answers.

I'm just going to trade it, keep all the paper work, all the contact info for the wholesaler and say f*** it.

Almost weekly I come across another reason to despise this miserable commie shit hole of a state. I knew before moving here I'd hate it but figured it was worth it for a few years because my new job is a career shortcut that will help me tremendously when I move back east, and a few years of awesome winterless weather would be nice. Now I'm not even sure. I'd rather move back to MA and work at f***ing McDonald's and be poor than have a good job but live in CA.

I really hope that the big one dumps this entire state into the sea. I just hope it happens after I move back to America.

MA is a bastion of freedom compared to this god damned shithole and that is saying a lot.

So anyway, super excited about getting new bike, but totally expecting some f***ed up letter form the DMV or Franchise Tax Board in 6 months telling me I owe them money for a bike I don't have anymore.
WTF.

So you can't even just park the thing in your garage and not register it? You either have to register it (which they won't let you do) - move out of state and register it - or sell it out of state?

That's effed up.

I haven't ridden my bike in at least 2 years now. Between being out of work for over a year and having a kid - I just haven't had the time and I let the registration lapse. But the bike sits in my barn with the MA plate still attached to it and they apparently don't give a shit.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm so sick of this state....when I move out of here I'm leaving a parting gift of environmental destruction to "get my money's worth".

Not sure what yet...maybe dump a few gallons of dirty motor oil in a stream somewhere or set a bunch of tires on fire.

Make sure you do it up in the hills. Those things seem to have a propensity to burn judging by the nightly news reports I see during fire season.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0

CA is basically on a non-stop hunt for loose change because of all the dumbass policies the leftist commies who run that state have enacted.

They've probably gotten close to maxing out every explicit tax method available to them to just take your money, so they've also started a mind-numbing thicket of regulations and tax traps to try and squeeze as much money as possible out of every productive citizen there.

Martin Armstrong calls this the "hunt for taxes" - and writes about CA constantly: www.armstrongeconomics.com

There's also a huge exodus of people leaving CA, unfortunately it means there's a lot of people moving into states like Texas and bringing their mind ebola with them like a bunch of Congolese migrants running across the border

Top Bottom