1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Getting a new Motorcycle, bc CA is retarded

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jhblaze1, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

Well aware of the commitment to 2 yrs when a company moves you out somewhere. It sucks because California is beautiful.

2. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

Just shoot some API into a dry forest.....

3. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Re-badge your Hog and WIN!...

[​IMG]

fishgutzy likes this.
  4. dingbat

dingbat NES Member

But aren't you comforted by the fact that Government is keeping you so safe?

Evadd likes this.
  5. fishgutzy

fishgutzy

"Gift" only applies to family. Learned that years ago.

6. fishgutzy

fishgutzy

I had an interview out in SJC a couple years ago. Everyone on the panel complained about the high cost of everything out there. I also took it only as interview training and a free trip. No way I could afford to take a job that requires moving to CA even if they doubled my salary. Rent for a tiny 2BR within an hour drive was nearly $4K. Forget buying a home. My house in NC would cost over $3Million out there. And none of that includes the cost in freedom.

Jason Flare and Evadd like this.
  7. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

yeah. I'd love it here if not for the politics. the natural beauty of this state is incredible, the weather is as good as it gets probably anywhere. Just not worth it to put up with the commie bullshit.

AntiHippie and drgrant like this.
  8. wahsben

wahsben NES Life Member NES Member

I wouldn't risk getting yourself screwed over but you could make sure you eat a lot of nasty stuff and locate yourself near a politicians home and when you're ready to go knock on their door and tell them you broke down and that you really need to use the bathroom bad and if they let you in leave a dump so bad and don't flush it and hopefully when they come in and flush it the toilet will clog and the water full of shit will overflow all over their floor.

AHM and whatluck like this.
  9. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

yeah I basically did double my salary, but after the cost of living difference, it feels like I got maybe a 10% raise, not a 100% raise.

my water bill averages $110 a month. Read that again. Gas (for the house) and electric aren't too bad. Gas for the car....we're pushing over $4 a gallon for regular now. Factor in the cost of rent or house prices, etc, and it's crazy. I miss market basket so much. Food here must be made out of f***ing gold because it costs about as much.

By SJC, do you mean San Jaun Capistrano? If so, many it's beautiful down there. But yeah still not worth the $$.

I'll still come out ahead because my career prospects back east will be a lot better, but these are a hard 2 years to get through.

10. wahsben

How much longer do you have left now?

11. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    Then it's changed from "years ago". A sale within a family is exempt from sales tax. A gift is also exempt from sales tax. See Family/gift transfers

There is no family requirement on the gift form (MVU-24)

AHM likes this.
  12. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    Lex Luthor had the right idea in the first Superman movie.

AHM and JayMcB like this.
  13. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

little over a year, but I'm going to stay another 6 months beyond that so I don't lose my bonus. Then I need to actually find a job back in Boston so who knows how long that will take.

I'll start applying for jobs about 3 months before bonus time.

Also, slight possibility I can keep this job and work remotely. My firm has a very small office in Needham the does private equity stuff but they have vacant desks. Hoping I can convince them to let me have an office there. I'd be styling making this money with MA cost of living.

14. wahsben

That sucks that you still have that much time.

Yes this sounds much better although MA. still sucks and MA. will probably get to CA. levels at some-point but at least for now you'd make out with what you're being paid. Good Luck!

15. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

yeah if the work remotely option pans out I'm going to try like hell to get the wife to consider NH and then just work from home. I'd need to set up a private and dedicated home office but that's easy enough.

wahsben likes this.
  16. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

Should have rode it to California the long way.

dingbat likes this.
  17. Malodave

Malodave

When I went to college in Florida, I used the bike exclusively. I racked up 28K miles the first year.
    105 miles a day round trip for college and another 2-300 on the weekend as a MLS Real Estate
    Photographer.

Malodave

18. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

Hook your bike odometer to your car and presto you racked up that mileage pretty fast LOL.

19. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

When I was in my late teens, my car broke down and I couldn't afford to fix it, bike was the only transportation for almost a year. Had to ride to work in the snow, but put on a lot of miles. That was a long time ago though. These days I have no commute, so even my truck doesn't get that many miles. Just about to hit 40K in about 3 years.

20. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

TL;DR

This really is your fault...I mean...you CHOSE to move to CA. You had full notice that CA is retarded. It's like trying to sue the big tobacco companies now because you got lung cancer! :)

21. Greg

Greg

There is a separate form for family gifts..MVU-19 or something.

22. Squib308

Squib308 NES Member

my father had a fatboy in the late 90's. very cool bike. can your fatboy be made CA compliant?

it's up there with 5000 rds of rimfire and 5000 rds of shotgun, as if those are anywhere near similar.

23. Greg

Greg

Auto insurance in a nice Sonoma Co town for a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport and a 2016 Honda Accord Sport $2400 year..No tickets
    Food prices at Safeway,Raleys etc..At least 15% more for the majority of items..I think a dozen eggs were $3.50
    600sf condo,no garage $2k a month. $250 month condo fees if you own,current value $320k
    Fuel when I was there averaged $3.50 for regular
    10%+ (varies by town) tax on everything except food

But....

If you are active and like the outdoors there is no other better place in the US for year round activities. Colorado comes close,but no beaches. If you aren't active and just sit around and wait all year for the Patriots or Red Sox to play,you will hate California:D

And food,great food.

24. whatluck

whatluck

I feel like this is exactly what politicians did to me. They busted into my house at 3am, pissed on the floor, fell alseep on my couch and puked everywhere. And then after letting them stay the morning and giving them bacon and coffee they clean out my wallet and sneak out back.

wahsben likes this.
  25. Picton

Picton NES Member

People in MA are amazed that I moved out of CA as soon as I possibly could.

It’s like describing my Army experiences. Folks who haven’t lived through it just don’t get it. Folks who have? They don’t need it explained.

26. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

Yeah the outdoors is awesome....Beaches, hiking, motorcycling, all that stuff is awesome and I'll miss it when I leave here. But none of that stuff is, IMO, worth the shit we have to put up with here in terms of taxes and cost of living and just the political "feeling" of this place.

Greg likes this.
  27. Greg

Greg

Totally agree..I was contemplating moving back there and guns werent even part of the equation because I would be happy with my bolt action precision rifle and a Hk pistol.

In the end I couldnt move back because of the politics and new feel good laws that seem to get drafted every week. The cost of living was a major factor as well,but I could get by.

Was nice wearing shorts and a hoody all Winter though lol

28. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

probably but f*** that. I spent a couple grand on free flowing exhaust and tuning to get it how I wanted it. To make it CA compliant I think I'd have to have a dealer put stock pipes back on it (which I don't have) and probably do some other shit. If I'd have to spend a few grand to neuter my bike, I might as well just use that towards a down payment on a new one.

Maybe it's all for the best anyway. I've missed my Ducati Diavel since I traded it in for the fatboy so I'm getting back on a new Diavel 1260S.

29. AntiHippie

AntiHippie

I’m in the same boat. Probably out of CA and back to America next summer. What part of the state did you end up in? SLO County, believe it or not, is a small pocket of sanity that kind of bears a passing resemblance to America.

30. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

Maybe so, but the state .gov overlords are just as full retard there as any other county in commiefornia.

Hey OP, do you smell weed pretty much everywhere you go? I did a trip for work in Orange county, and it was all you could smell in and around LA and on the 405 going back and forth.
    These days Disney must actually be the happiest place on earth