Getting a machine gun license

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted some input. I'm trying to get my machine gun license (green card). I already have my C&R 03 FFL. I also live in a green town. I called the police department and asked before I got my FFL. They flat out said that they didn't issue them, then the officer hesitated and asked if I was a firearms instructor or FFL holder. I said no and he said then no can do.

So I have my 03 FFL, do you think becoming a certified firearms instructor on top of that will make a difference? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted some input. I'm trying to get my machine gun license (green card). I already have my C&R 03 FFL. I also live in a green town. I called the police department and asked before I got my FFL. They flat out said that they didn't issue them, then the officer hesitated and asked if I was a firearms instructor or FFL holder. I said no and he said then no can do.

So I have my 03 FFL, do you think becoming a certified firearms instructor on top of that will make a difference? Any and all help would be appreciated.
He may have simply been quoting the state law requirement that you have to be a "bonafide collector" or a State Police firearms instructor.

The CMR indicates that a C&R FFL (03) demonstrates that you are a "bonafide collector". Some towns have taken that to mean that must have a C&R, others that a C&R is one means of demonstrating "bonafides" and still others that a C&R is "a start", but you need more...

Towns also differ widely in their policy of issuance regardless of the above ranging from "no" to in line with their LTC-A policy and everything in-between.

Hey Everyone,

Did you have your C&R when you called, because the answer is yes, you are an FFL holder, right?

My understaning is that you need to instruct LE in order to be eligible under the instructor category.

The C&R FFL is what qualifies you as a bona fide collector

(o) No person shall be issued a license to carry or possess a machine gun in the commonwealth, except that a licensing authority or the colonel of state police may issue a machine gun license to:

(i) a firearm instructor certified by the municipal police training committee for the sole purpose of firearm instruction to police personnel;
(ii) a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or upon application for renewal of such license.

Last edited:
He may have simply been quoting the state law requirement that you have to be a "bonafide collector" or a State Police firearms instructor.

The CMR indicates that a C&R FFL (03) demonstrates that you are a "bonafide collector". Some towns have taken that to mean that must have a C&R, others that a C&R is one means of demonstrating "bonafides" and still others that a C&R is "a start", but you need more...

Towns also differ widely in their policy of issuance regardless of the above ranging from "no" to in line with their LTC-A policy and everything in-between.

Thanks for the info.

Go to the PD with the app filled out, a copy of your FFL, and $100 and ask if they issue MG licenses. If so, hand them said materials. If not, walk out and complain on NES.

Go to the PD with the app filled out, a copy of your FFL, and $100 and ask if they issue MG licenses. If so, hand them said materials. If not, walk out and complain on NES.

Just out of curiousity, where does one find the app?

It depends on the chief in your town. Some buy into the GCAB postion than an 03 holder is a "bona fide collector", however, the courts have not been kind to "bona fide collectors" who were turned down by chiefs who as a matter of policy do not issue such licenses.

Several years ago when living in another town the section to check of MG license was heavily blacked out, guess that ment NO. Any hows I didnt even ask just went to station with FFL03 and a check. Got the "its up to the state police" many weeks later "green card" !!!! no happy switch yet though

Back
Top Bottom