Get your PA Non-Resident license before the change!

OK last question I swear......This article in the form is written like this

3. has been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance as provided in 75 Pa.C.S. § 3802 (relating to driving
under influence of alcohol or controlled substance) or the former 75 Pa.C.S. § 3731, on three or more separate occasions within a fiveyear
period. For the purposes of this paragraph only, the prohibition of Section 6105(a) shall only apply to transfers or purchases of
firearms after the third conviction; or

I have been accused of driving under the influence some years ago and did the jumping through the hoops and hurdles (not to mention
dishing out a whole bunch of cash) to satisify the state requirements, to get it removed. It was over 3 years ago and the time before that was over 14 years ago. DO I fall into this section? I know Utah and Penn are different but Utah granted me a Utah permit / lic. to carry. Utah wanted to know what was the outcome, which court systems they were in, and to provide court papers...which is impossible to get because they have no record of me or that happening. The outcome was that I satisfied the state in both occurences. Should I be worried?

Thanks

CTMustang:

It sounds like you only had two, but that one was dismissed. According to the info you quoted above, the problem is with three or more times.

Utah has a waiting period after which they will issue. Massachusetts is a "never again" state if it was after 1994.

Just be forthright. Attach a letter of explanation to the Sheriff.

ya thats what I was reading and just wanted to be sure. Both of the incidences were dismissed after I appeased the couts and the state.
Cool, sounds good seeing that I had to write a short letter to Utah explaning the outcomes, I'll do what you suggested. Thanks.

If you are applying to the Centre County Sheriff, you do not need to provide a photo. The license you receive will say "Valid Without Photo" on it. On your renewal, after the law has taken effect, your photo will be on the license.

The license you receive will be a piece of paper. The Sheriff told me in writing that it's OK to photocopy it smaller and laminate it, which is what I have done with mine.. I've had a PA license from Centre County for several years.

I just called up. Upon renewal, I need to have my photo taken at the Sheriffs office.
The law has not gone into effect yet so get em while you can!

Last edited:
Can we mark more than one specific reason?

Mine says "self defense". No room to add anything else.

Not sure but I would think that self defense would cover sporting as well.

If I recall- I checked self defense and sporting (or whatever word they used) on my app.

So when is the deadline?

ETA: From Sheriff Denny Nau's website...

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ON LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARM

ACT 66 2005 THE STANDARDIZATION & MODERNIZATION OF PROCESS SYSTEM

This new statewide system will change the method of completing the application and the manner the Sheriff issues the newly developed identification type license to carry a firearm.

Once implemented the applicant will have to appear at the Sheriff’s Office where their driver’s license will be electronically scanned to capture needed data. The applicant will also have to be photographed and sign the electronic signature pad to complete the process. The system need be compatible with the Commonwealth’s Information Technology Standard.

By law the new system must be implemented no later than May 2011, however it is expected that all Sheriffs will have the new system in place by the end of 2010. A pilot type program is scheduled to start in one county within the next month or two. If the system works as expected, more sheriffs will start implementing the system shortly.

Once we have a date as to when Centre County will start the new system it will be posted on this site.

http://www.dennynau.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=34

Last edited:
This. While PA had an allure for its low cost an ease of application, it looks like that is now gone. FL is the more comprehensive license and can be obtained without setting foot in the state.

Yes, but the last time I tried get my FL permit renewed, they sent it back twice for BS reasons.

If you have a Florida permit, you're covered for PA as well.

Maybe . . . The PA AG says so, but PA SP (last I heard) around Philly had other ideas and arrested and charged people that shouldn't have been charged. $26 is cheap insurance for now and I do NOT know if PA SP "got the memo" and are currently abiding by it.

I sent mine off last week (and I have a FL permit),

I also queried the Sheriff about the need to appear in person after the new law takes effect in a few months . . . here is the question . . .

Sir,

Can you tell me if renewals of a PA LTC will require non-residents to appear in person under the new law? Or will there be some alternate way of handling renewals (e.g. sending a scanned copy of MA DL, sending scanned picture, etc. via Email or other)?

--------
Regards,
Lens

. . . and his reply.

It appears that everyone will need to appear in person. I am trying to see if there is an alternative. keep checking my web site www.dennynau.com where I will post information.

Happy Trails .....Denny

www.dennynau.com

He replied on a Saturday and even the tone of his reply is impressive. Seems like a real nice guy, not your typical politician/bureaucrat! [thumbsup]

I’m willing to bet they, as in the Sheriff’s offices, will see a sharp decline in revenue due to this new ‘in person’ policy. I have no idea how lucrative this licensing business is so maybe it’s pittens to the budget. Still, money talks. Maybe grandfathering in current holders would be the alternative.

Either way, my $26 is in the mail as of last week and kudos to Denny for being a real human being.

Maybe . . . The PA AG says so, but PA SP (last I heard) around Philly had other ideas and arrested and charged people that shouldn't have been charged. $26 is cheap insurance for now and I do NOT know if PA SP "got the memo" and are currently abiding by it.
I e-mailed the PSP and point blank asked about them understanding the AG's opinion re non-resident licenses. They responded in the affirmative.

As for the Filthydelphia police, all bets are off.

Where do you monitor to find out stuff like this? USACarry or similar? I'm not on enough of the boards. I agree $26 is cheap insurance.

Where do you monitor to find out stuff like this? USACarry or similar? I'm not on enough of the boards. I agree $26 is cheap insurance.

I've been aware of PA being cheap and easy for many, many years. I became friends with Marty of First American Ordinance, http://www.holster-connection.com/ back when he was doing all the gun shows up here. His "real job" is in the courts in PA and he told me to drop him a line if I ever wanted a PA LTC. Lately, I found the current situation here on NES (my addiction). I go to http://www.handgunlaw.us/ . . . BUT only to get links to the state (of interest) website to check on gun laws, licenses, etc. I do NOT trust the info on that website and always verify at the source.

Truthfully, I don't really gain anything over my FL license, other than piece of mind in the rare chance that I might travel to PA again. I'll deal with the renewal situation when it happens . . . I won't be traveling to the middle of PA to renew, that is for sure.

The settlements the Philadelphia PD had to pay have hopefully been an educational experience for all involved.

http://articles.philly.com/2010-08-31/news/24974423_1_city-cops-philadelphia-cops-security-guards

Hardly Rob! They paid out a whooping $2500-5000 per case. They pay more than that to their lawyers every couple of weeks. They'd need a 6-figure judgment against them before they MIGHT notice the impact of doing stupid things to people.

Last edited:
Sent mine in the other day but did not attach a written statement about my accusation, both were dismissed or dropped. The requirement stated
"...on three or more separate occasions within a fiveyear period." and I do not fit that. I can not find any records in the Court Houses and the CT State Police has no records pertaining to this issue, we'll see what happens I guess. Cross our fingers lol

The PA license is accepted by a few states, but most applicants are people who travel to PA.

The Utah permit is still very popular in the Northeast due to reciprocity. I have 31 people signed up so far for a Feb. 13th course in western MA.

Do you have any more information about the Utah class being offered?

"...on three or more separate occasions within a fiveyear period."

Some states (CT and ME come to mind) are very careful not to ask questions that can result in answers that could lead to discrimination based on non-statutory reasons (dismissed charges, offenses below the statutory DQ level, etc.). Others, on the other hand, require it so that the licensing authority may consider using this information against the applicant even though it is not a disqualifier.

Well, I mailed my app and check on 1/29/11 and my PA permit was approved on 2/1/11 and received today (2/4)! WOW! Talk about speedy.

The PA LTC is much like the old horseblanket MA LTCs, too large to fit in a wallet, so I asked Sheriff Denny Nau the following question:

Is it legally acceptable for me to make a photo-reduced copy of the LTC and laminate it to carry on my person, or does PA law require that I only carry the original as issued (which as you know is too big to fit in a wallet)?

. . . and here is the Sheriff's answer:

Len you can reduce and laminate or fold in half with all data showing and then laminate.

Happy Trails .....Denny

www.dennynau.com

My suggestion is to photo-reduce and laminate it. Reason is that many states now require a photocopy of any permits you have and it's difficult to "reconstruct" one if folded in half and laminated so it looks coherent on a photocopy.

Back
Top Bottom