1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Get a Pixel 2 or wait for the Pixel 3 to come out??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Golddiggie, Aug 9, 2018.

?
  1. Pixel 2

57.1%
  2. Pixel 3

42.9%
  1. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Just trying to decide if I should actually wait for the Pixel 3 to come out, or just get the Pixel 2 in the next month (or so). I'm currently using a Nexus 6P phone, so either the Pixel 2 or 3 will be a large enough upgrade to be worth it. Plus, I plan to get the smaller version (I plan to get the XL for myself) for mom (she's on my cell plan) since she's using an old Samsung Galaxy S4. Either way, I'll be getting the unlocked version since I hate the crap the phone carriers load onto the devices.

Before any apple fanboi's post up... Don't... I'm NOT getting anything from [cr]apple for either myself of her. Just NOT gonna happen. So you can tuck those fruit decorated things up you know where and STFU about them. :p

One of the items that might push my decision is if they include the fingerprint reader on the Pixel 3 line. I have it on my Nexus 6P and like using it a lot. I'm NOT looking to have something that uses facial recognition to decide if I'm me or not. Since I've read about those getting tricked more than a few times. From what I've been able to find (online even tonight), the Pixel 3 phones will include the fingerprint reader on the back (like my 6P). Which is good since I find it easy to use.
    BTW, since I'm 'IT guy' for mom, I really need to get her onto a phone that has the same OS as mine. Hers is so far back that navigating on it (for me) isn't easy anymore. Plus, she's missing a LOT of the features common in the newer phones/OS levels.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    BUMPA01603 and Frizzle Fry like this.

2. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

Nothing wrong with the Samsung line or the LG line. Both the Galaxy S9 and LG G7 are great phones you can get right now. I think the pixel isn't all that.

3. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Do either of those makes come in 'unlocked' versions?? The days of me getting a phone from the carrier are long gone now. Ever since I got my 6P as an unlocked phone I decided to NOT go back to getting one loaded with all that carrier CRAP. Plus, there's too much that Samsung forces on you (as I've seen on the S4 mom has). It's actually a problem since we need to clear off crap that she won't use (NFL shit? NFW!) and it simply WON'T delete.

4. guycrunch

guycrunch NES Member

I just picked up the Pixel 2XL from Best Buy, I traded in my Pixel 1. They are great phones, I have been very happy with them. Best Buy has great deals, it seems every other week they have the Pixel phones for $300 to $350 off. The Verizon stores can't touch that. I've put a little bit of extra cash to bring down the monthly payments even more. I figure there won't be any really good deals on the Pixel 3 for a while and the 2 is a great phone. Make sure you add the Zagg glass and a slim case. Good luck.

5. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

6. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

@guycrunch Is that the unlocked version, or Verizon hog-tied?? I don't mind spending a bit more to get the unlocked version. New job, earning more $$ is making this easy on the cost side. It's more about the tech and such.

I always get the screen protection pieces (glass for my current phone, don't recall what's on mom's). I also get a decent case for them so that reasonable drops are NOT going to F it up. I do like how they Pixel 2 comes with at least a 2 year warranty now. My 6P only came with a one (didn't want to spend the extra back in 2015, since I was making less $$) year warranty.

7. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

@ThePreBanMan I'd consider the LG, but I need to do a deeper dive into software that's on it (from them) that cannot be removed. As I mentioned earlier, it's a major issue on the S4. Unless Samsung has stopped doing that, they're out.

Oh, and I do everything possible to NOT go into Worst Buy. Even when you go in knowing EXACTLY what you want/need, some jackhole tries to sell you something else which they will make a little more on. I've talked with enough other people that got screwed over due to that. Or where the 'advisor' that SOUNDED like he knew what he was talking about, didn't have a clue. Thus the person bought something that's NOT what they expected, or were told it was.

8. guycrunch

guycrunch NES Member

I believe mine is "locked" to Verizon.

9. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

I have the unlocked Samsung. No carrier bloatware on it. It does come loaded with some Google and Samsung apps. Chrome, Google Drive, Google Docs, etc. The pixel is no different. It has some Samsung apps too and the Bixby personal assistant is kind of a PITA. There will be apps on it you don't use. That is true of every phone short of a rooted device with a custom ROM/flash.

That said I manage a mobile device pool of over 3000 devices at work. The failure rate of Samsung devices is less than 1%. I can say personally I've dropped mine on concrete, stepped on it and have done everything short of run it over with a steamroller and it's fine. I see iPhone screens crack if you look at them funny...

I don't personally have the LG but can also say they're solid and reliable. Very few problems with them at work. Hell my GF still has her LG G5 and that thing is like 4 years old now. Still runs like a champ. The power button in the back of the phone takes a little getting used to.

10. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

...additionally any apps you don't want on the phone can be "hidden" or otherwise manipulated to go away. This is especially true if you use a 3rd party launcher like Apex. They let you really customize the look, feel, the functionality of the device.

11. jtcoinflip

jtcoinflip NES Member

you could get her the pixel 2 now, then see how it is when you set it up for her to help you make your decision on yours later.

12. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

It's a cell phone there is absolutely nothing ground breaking about any of them. The only way I would ever "wait" is if there was evidence that whatever the new device was, had like a 20% battery advantage over the existing model. Most of them have all settled out into the same swamp at this point.

ETA: If you're not running your existing devices until they fail or become debilitating, you're ripping yourself off. Usually whenever I think about upgrading I manage to milk an extra year out of the device. Basically think of these things as very expensive toilet paper. Eventually you will flush that shit away and not care about leaving it behind. It's not like a car or something where you feel a bit of remorse by getting rid of it. The tech all sucks and is somewhat underwhelming. Although at least you can get android phones that don't crash, it only took them like, 6+ years to figure that out, lmao.

-Mike

LuvToGoFast likes this.
  13. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

I have no input try on the pixel, but if you need wifi calling you may need to verify that it will work if you have brand x phone and y carrier.

I had a Tmobile S3 that died. I grabbed my old ATT S3 and switched to that, but it wouldn't work with Tmobile wifi calling, so it was virtually useless to me. Ended up with an S9 and I love it

14. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I have no advice on the Pixel either. I previously had a Google Nexus 7 tablet that was only 1 year old, and they released Android OS 5, which made the phone completely unusable and they would not support their own effing phone with their own effing OS. The only way to make the phone usable again was to go through a complex process I found online to put the thing back to OS 4. So, from that point on, I don't do Google devices.

I see the LG phones mentioned in this thread. 2 phones ago, I had the LG G4. It was a pretty nice phone, until it wasn't. LG is plagued by the "boot loop" problem. Look it up... most phones were getting it within a few months or a year or so after purchase. Mine went into boot loop mode a few weeks before the 1 year warranty was up. Fortunately, LG fixed it. But then it had another problem that plagues LG phones... touch screens that think you are tapping when you are actually swiping. They were never willing to admit the issue or support everyone who has the problem. I found a trick though... if I dimmed the screen well below maximum brightness, the problem went away. I've heard reports of the G5 and V* phones having similar issues, so I did not buy another LG.

I'm having good luck with the various Moto phones. My mother has the cheaper Moto G4 (like $150 or something) since giving her an expensive/advanced phone is wasted on her... all she does is look at puppies, and ask OK Google for the weather.... no need to pay $800 for that. My wife has a Moto X, which is quite nice. And, I have the Moto Z2. These are often unlocked phones. They are about to come out with the Moto Z3 (the Z3 Play is already out). The battery life in my Z2 is spectacular, far better than anything I've seen. In fact, the only phone I've ever had that has good battery life. Everything else has ranged from poor to terrible. These phones support add-on "mods" but I gotta say I never use them. It's annoying because it requires removing the case to put the mod on. And, there's not much for cases that work with a mod you want to just leave on permanently. The Z2 camera is spectacular, far better than all previous phones. I go back and look at pics from old phones and they look like crap by comparison. My only issue with my Z2 is that it actually has a screen burn-in problem... the pixels are permanently different in the bars at the top and the bottom. I'm still using it and will try to get a full 2 years out of it, but this is making me sad. The other 2 Moto phones I mentioned have no such burn-in issue at all.

15. durask

durask NES Member

For me the main criteria for choosing a phone is camera quality and the only reason I update.
    Still have fond memories of my Nokia Lumia 1520 - back in 2013 the camera in that phone was miles ahead of anything Apple or Android. Too bad Microsoft ruined Nokia and buried their own Windows mobile OS in the process.
    So if it were me I would wait for Pixel 3 reviews and see what they say about the camera in that phone.

16. drgrant

That is one thing I do kind of loathe about my Note 8. The autofocus thing on the camera is pure horseshit.

I find myself channeling that dude from AvE channel a lot with that camera, particularly outside... "Focus you f***!"

17. richc

richc NES Member

I have the original Pixel XL. I'll likely upgrade to the Pixel 3 when it is available.

18. robjax

robjax NES Member

I would say cell phone upgrades and technology are at the bottom of my list. I have a 5C my daughter had which I got used form her about 2 or so years ago to replace my flip phone that got soaked on a Disney ride. At that point I just wanted a beeper so the family could contact me to call them. With the decline of pay phones it seemed easy for the wife to talk me into taking the kid's phone as she wanted a newer version anyway. That's the only reason I have one that is so advanced.

19. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname

I just put a new battery in my Motorola Razr that I've been using since about 2007. Still works like a champ.

20. drgrant

that's some dedication right there....

21. ProGun

ProGun NES Member

I've had an unlocked Pixel 2 running on VZW for about 9 months. It's been a solid phone so far. I moved over from an iPhone 5. No regrets. I hated the Chrome browser, I couldn't seem to stop pop-up ads, etc, but using Brave fixed that problem.

22. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

@ProGun I've not had any issues using Chrome on the phone.

At this point I'll probably make more of a decision in another week, or two. Going to see if I can get the two phones, at the same time, and do the payments direct via Google's store (finance it). That will allow me to do this without saving up that much $$. With the unemployed span I just went through my savings got crazy low. I have a few things to take care of this week. After that, and with the next payday, I should be in a better position. ;)

The more I see about the Pixel 3 set, there's not a lot that makes it worth waiting for. Especially since mom is having issues with her phone (lack of battery life to name just one) and mine is getting old. I can't replace the battery in mine, and it is about three years old now. I did check to see about their 'trade in' program and I won't get much for my 6P that way. I might just keep it as an emergency backup.

As for the apps from Samsung that come on their phones... I'll pass. I don't want to have to manage that crap anymore (on either my, or mom's, phone). At the time of purchase, I'll see what the cost difference is between the on device storage amounts is. If it's worth getting more on phone space, I will. Although I'm not even using half of the 64GB in my 6P now. Actually using less than 20GB on it. With the storage offered via Google for Pixel phone owners, I don't think it would be an issue either.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 12:26 PM
  23. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

I have a 3 year old S7 (not the exploding model).

It does everything my previous phone did, that I give a damn about. I can read NES (with magnifying glass), do Crosswords and play audiobooks through a bluetooth gizmo in the car. MY view is, one phone is as good as the next and even if you buy the cutting edge, it'll be "last years model" quicker than you can blink.

Battery life, wireless charging and a decent sized screen (and NOT iPhone!) were my criteria when I bought this one.

24. Duxprep

Duxprep NES Member

I have a pixel 2 xl. It's without question the best phone I've ever owned . I got it last December with the 300 off deal. Outstanding camera and pure unadulterated android. I just got the pie (android 9) update. If you need a phone I'd grab it. Not sure what the pixel 3 could have that would make it worth waiting for

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 1:17 AM
  25. ProGun

ProGun NES Member

Forgot...the one thing that I still find mildly annoying on my Pixel 2 is no 3.5mm jack. Sure, I have and can use the included "dongle", so it's not a deal breaker. I would've preferred they kept the jack like they did on the original Pixel.

26. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

@namedpipes I'm hoping that giving mom the Pixel 2 (not the XL) will keep her going for at least 3-5 years. Considering how I got that in 2013, she should be ok for that long. Especially since it won't have the extra crap that the S4 has on it.

@Duxprep The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just get the two Pixel 2 devices and be done with it. I'll look to get the extra coverage (warranty) on both or at least what is available for extra battery coverage. Since it would suck for those to go south shortly after the regular coverage runs out.

I know I could have spent less a month or so ago, but I wasn't in a position to spend the funds at that point. Getting off the contract job and into a perm job changed that. Especially with what my salary is now. :)

@ProGun I have a BT earbud set that I use when I need/want to (beatsX IIRC). I mostly use it for music when exercising or forging. I've used them to make calls too and seem to work pretty well there. I don't think mom needs anything like that. IF she wants to use earbuds/headphones at some point, there's PLENTY of lower cost options out there for her. Even though my 6P has the headphone jack, I only think I've used that a few times in the three years I've had them. Mostly when the BT connection to a set of headphones was crap. Cheap headphones worked like crap... Imagine that... [rofl2]

namedpipes likes this.
  27. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

Subbed, lots of good info here. I'm looking to replace my Nexus 5X on Fi.

28. boatman

boatman

Goldiggie, I am with you regarding getting rid of carrier bloatware. I AM a football fan, but have that friggin NFL on my phone. Never have used it , and pisses me off I can't get rid of it.

I have a 2 yr old S7 from VZW. But I have come to the conclusion that I am NO LONGER going to spend $6-800 on a phone! You can get a variety of brands, lots of Moto's on Amazon, unlocked for between $120--240. For the low cost you get the ads, but the higher cost ones are ad free. Are they as 'top' of the line as a S8 or Pixel 3? No. But they are at most 1 rev back on the OS, they have all screen sizes, excellent cameras (these days, every phone has a great camera), and they text, make calls, get email, etc. So for 1/3 the price, it works very well for me. But my phone is not a status symbol for me. For many, it is.

I have been told that if you 'bring' a phone to vzw, and maybe other carriers , your line cost goes up $10+, so I am not sure how much I really save. I haven't confirmed this yet though, waiting till I need a new phone.

29. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

I have the 'per line' cost item on my bill for each of the two phones on it ($20 for each of us). But, my total bill is under $105 (including taxes) for the 6GB of data a month, plus unlimited talk and text (standard these days). I used almost 2GB of data myself last month. I'm going to hold off on altering my plan until I'm a few months into the new job. Especially since I still have tethering on it. Since work is going to pay for almost half of the bill (according to what my manager told me earlier this week), that makes my monthly cost a much lower amount.

I'm OK with getting current generation (not the 'coming soon') phones. Like the 2/2XL instead of waiting for the 3/3XL. I doubt I'll really notice much difference. Plus, from what I've read, I might actually NOT like the larger screen of the 3XL. I know mom needs a larger screen than what's on her current phone. Plus, I need to get her up to the same OS that I have. Not an option on the dino she's using now. Funny how a ~5 year old phone is so out dated.

30. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie

If you wait for the 3XL, the 2XL price will go down.