• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

German Suitability

"The court felt he was unreliable ”because it must be assumed that he will handle firearms and ammunition carelessly in future as well.""

Too bad we cannot hold judges to the same standard.

The dog probably got a bone and a belly rub before being set free. Oh wait! It didn’t happen in MA!

The court felt he was unreliable ”because it must be assumed that he will handle firearms and ammunition carelessly in future as well."

o_O Assumed, yea, OK

So if someone has one car accident are they now barred from driving for life because they “might” have another someday? How did we ever allow so many idiots to be put in charge?

So if someone has one car accident are they now barred from driving for life because they “might” have another someday? How did we ever allow so many idiots to be put in charge?

They're German.

Was the dog a police dog breed like a German Shepard? Maybe the dog thought that his owner was about to commit a heinous crime.

In fairness, I had a reading fail too. Complicated sentence structure messed me up.
Well, I did use a double negative which, although confusing, is less so that a double positive which was thought not to exist until "yeah, right" was discovered.
A stronger argument can be made for assuming one accident increases the risk for more, as the level of skill (reaction time, observing others, anticipating their movements, etc.) is far greater than mastering "unloaded until ready to fire; finger off booger hook until ready to shoot; be aware of target and backstop behind it".

German man not fit for firearms license after being shot by own dog: court

I subscribe to the logic that one who has had an accident is less, rather than more, likely to exercise a lack of caution in the future.

I do tend to agree that someone who has had a serious safety incident with a firearm is less likely to have another incident than the general population. However, this issue does raise some interesting questions.

One critical issue with firearms safety is that we must learn from the mistakes of others. It is not sufficient to learn only from our own mistakes. So it is critically important to get training on firearms safety, and to rigorously follow the safety rules, even if they seem excessive and redundant. All of this studying and following rules runs against how many people like to learn.

So if someone has a safety incident, that could indicate that he is following safety procedures of his own, rather than following standard training. And now that he has had a problem, he will make improvements to his own procedures. But he may still not study, learn, and internalize the safety procedures that have been developed by experts over many decades. Especially, if that is antithetical to how he likes to do things.

I have personally seen someone accidentally discharge a firearm at the range. The firearm was pointed pointed downrange, but the owner was clearly not intending to fire. When I spoke to him afterwards, I mentioned that keeping his muzzle in a safe direction had served him well, but that keeping your finger off the trigger is also important. He acknowledged what I said, but made it clear with his expression that he thought I was being bizarrely pedantic. I do expect he is more careful now, but I am pretty sure that he has not retrained himself to master the careful finger discipline that he had not learned in his previous decades of shooting.

So overall, I think that many people who have had a serious safety incident will learn, and will have a much better than average record going forward. But I also think that some people who have an incident may be giving a warning that they do not have the focus and care to use dangerous equipment. Or, as members of my gun club might put it, we would strongly support that persons right to own firearms, but we would kick him out of the club.

Back
Top Bottom