German modified first year VZ-24

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I refilled the German VZ24 slot after having sold the last one to help towards the NPM carbine and the M17 Winchester. Found this one on GunBroker, and as it was in RI, I ducked over to Providence to pick it it up. I have a cleaning rod coming, but supplied the original sling and sight cover from my parts kit. While cosmetically nicer, the last one was a mismatch. This one is an honest bolt mismatch - and a correct blued bolt - been there, done that, 96 year old combat veteran. All German marked parts match including the stock, which has it's original Czech number on the butt and unit ID disk. Stripped it down, wiped down the stock, and cleaned out old grease. Hand guard was cracked (common), and I glued it. Touched up the front band with some cold blue where someone had tried to take it off with a chisel. Action screws were damaged, but as they were the original Czech, I left them be. The only drawback is the somewhat toasty bore that I'd rate as fair....there's still rifling, but pitting along it's whole length, but still shiny.

My two gun racks are full; seven allied and seven axis. I'd still like a M96 Krag some day, but I'd have to let something go.

t
IMG_1331.jpegIMG_1332.jpegIMG_1333.jpegIMG_1334.jpegIMG_1335.jpegIMG_1336.jpegIMG_1337.jpegIMG_1338.jpegIMG_1339.jpegIMG_1342.jpgIMG_1343.jpgIMG_1344.jpg

Last edited:
So 43P comes back to the 43rd Czechoslovakian Infantry regiment. The very high rifle number probably makes it a depot rifle. 1924 production began with the N block.

t

I am always intrigued looking at these pieces thinking of the hands they have been in and sights they have witnessed. In 1968 I had a Chicom Mosin bring back from Viet Nam. First time I took it to the range it put the first group 3 foot left of the target. I had a clear clue as to how it was captured. I have often thought of the poor soul intending to defend himself and likely doing little more than revealing his position but at the same time it might have been discovered in a cache and never fired in anger.

Took it to the range today. 87F, sun, breezy. 100 yards, 20 rounds new PPU. 300M battle sight. Aiming at the bottom of the target, 2 misses. Aimed center, two hits low left. Set sight to 500M and began hitting. Still left; had to counter aim right. Hits climbed as barrel heated up. Moved the rear sight back to 400. Action was smooth, and no problems. Repaired crack held fine. Returned cleaning rod to get one with better threads. Since I can't find it, I assume I immolated the original rubber muzzle cover [smile] . Bore cleaned up fairly well, although there is still roughness.

t
IMG_1369.jpegIMG_1370.jpegIMG_1371.jpeg

Anyone have an early war “H” front band for a K98? I can trade a mid war speed-milled band for it, or buy outright. For a RC on the way, so make/serial doesn’t matter. Average finish. Would rather do business with local members. Also have a stamped rear band.
t

Attachments

• 618B2F14-776B-480B-A702-EF78B559D94C.jpeg
    618B2F14-776B-480B-A702-EF78B559D94C.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom