German Mauser K98k Stimulus Plan

2/1Marine

NES Member
Is any one familiar with this? I am a member of the American Legion and see these adds for Mausers in their magazine every month. I'm tempted to purchase one once my license goes through. Ther have a deal now where you buy a Collectors grade k98 German Mauser for $399.00 and recieve $400.00 worth of origional accesories, i.e. cleaning kit, stripper clips, ammo pouches, magazine pouches, etc... The company is called Mitchell's Mausers and their website is WWW.Mauser.org. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic of everything included in the stimulas plan.

http://www.mauser.org/specials/Stim Pak Ad.pdf

Last edited:
If you are looking for something to hang over the fireplace or plan on sending a couple of thousand rounds through it as a daily shooter....it's an ok deal.

Buying it for collectibility you're better off buying a RC off of GB and the accessories off of Ebay.

Do google search of MM then add restamp.

If pretty is more important to you than:

- Historical significance
- Original parts and stampings
- Paying only what the rifle is actually worth

...then go for it. Otherwise, check the internet auction sites like gunbroker or auctionarms, and most gun shops.

If you really want to jump in with both feet, investigate getting a Curio & Relics (C&R) license - then the fun really begins....

From my post in gun gallery, "I have to do it - Show me your K98's". There are many other Mausers there as well:

I've seen a couple on GunBroker for $450 and have been tempted so as to get a specific maker, but I haven't bitten yet.

Not to stick up for Mitchell Mausers, but from what I learned they are only really guilty of stretching the truth in their advertising. "Mitchell’s Mausers announces the finding of a rare cache of near-new K98k Mauser rifles that survived the destruction of Nazi Germany". What they really do is take Russian capture Mausers, refurbish them, and try to put them back as close to issue condition as they can. So the rifles did in fact survive the destruction of Nazi Germany - in Russia. My 1940-147/Suhl is a Mitchell in Premium condition ($700: $100 more to select my year and maker) which means 10 guaranteed matching numbers; mine happens to have 12, and most Waffenamts match save for a couple of pieces, trigger, etc. I did take the nonmatching WaA77 (Steyr) bolt stop off the Mitchell and put it on my 1943 bnz/Steyr Mauser, swapping the WaA214 (Suhl) off the bnz. Collectors grade ($500) means 6 matching numbers. There is no such thing as an all matching Mitchell Mauser. You are guaranteed core matching numbers; receiver, barrel, stock, usually floor plate, and triggerguard. The stock will be a correct type for the year, 1935-1940 with flat butt plate and 10 inch cleaning rod, and 1941-1945 with a heavy pattern cupped butt plate 12 inch rod stock and sight hood. Stock markings are usually removed with the sanding and refinishing; my "H" Heer/Army stamp is barely visible. From the take down lug, my stock was originally a WaA63 Mauser/Obendorf, but any other confirming ID marks have been sanded off. In my grade the bolt, bolt shroud, and cocking piece also match as do the bands. As the Germans did not stamp the stocks on the side by the take down lug, as has been said, is evidence of a RC. In addition some were peened and/or "X'd" on the receiver. Mitchell has also been accused of taking unmarked original parts and stamping them with serial numbers to match more numbers.

What you're paying for is the premium of having the rifle rearsenaled instead of doing it yourself. You can spend $300 most anywhere for a RC Mauser with a mixed basket of mismatching parts, incorrect stock, etc., and spend huge amounts on bringing it back yourself (I know, I've been there). They are what they are; clean, semi-correct rearsenaled RC Mausers, in pretty decent shape.

Specific to your post is the military collectibles that they are offering now as part of the deal which was not available in March '08 when I got mine. The prices have gotten better; they've knocked off a $100. I don't see how a straight RC is more correct than a Mitchell; unless you consider a Mauser straight from a Russian warehouse in original RC condition more correct than a rearsenaled one. At this price, $500, you're paying about $200 over any common RC on gunbroker which is the cost of the refurbishment. Or you can do it yourself and take the time and about the same money. A replacement correct WaA stock will cost $150-$250. Including the cost of the goodies it's basically a break even if you did it yourself, but you are saving lots of time. Most of the goodies are post-war Czech or Romanian, as these countires used the German equipment to reconstitute their militaries until they adopted more advanced designs, so they are not strictly WWII dated.

I'll get off my soap box now.

My Mitchell Mauser: 147 (Suhl) 1940
1940.jpg

My effort at refurbishing a RC 1943 SS marked bnz (top) and a S/42G (bottom).

bnz2.jpg

s42g5.jpg

MajSpud

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom