Geriatric Hearing Sensitivity / Loss?

So, two weeks ago my mother finally experienced her first (and I'm guessing last) range trip. She, her two sisters, and their three husbands hit a public, outdoor range near their home in Lakeland, FL. Dad brought his Jungle Carbine, but everyone else brought their handguns (I love my family :) )

After setting up targets and confirming eyes/ears, my aunt stepped to the line with her .357.

My dad, a retired Army combat pilot, assumed Mom knew how to use foam plugs and had correctly inserted hers. Bad assumption. With the first shot, Mom squealed and felt like her eardrums had popped.

They figured out that she hadn't properly inserted the plugs, and so rustled up some wax earplugs and a set of cans for her.

Fast forward two weeks and she still is experiencing profound hearing loss in her left ear, with auditory input to the right ear "sounding like Donald Duck".

She finally got in to see the audiologist at the ENT today, who gave her some pretty horrendous results (IMHO).

To whit:

Pure Tone Test
Right ear 30dB @ 250Hz to 80dB @ 8k Hz
Left ear...60 to 65dB
SRT right ear 45dB
Left ear. 60dB
WR. Right ear 92% @ 75 dB
Left ear. 56% @ 85dB

Anyone who understands a little about audiology knows that these numbers SUCK. Especially given that she had always had very acute hearing while I've worn hearing aids since I was 10 due to congenitally "low-normal" hearing acuity.

She goes back in on December 2nd to consult with the ENT doctor.

What blows my mind is that there could have been enough pressure to do such extensive (permanent?) damage.

Has anyone heard of something like this happening? Experienced it? Have sufficient medical background to know if older ears are more likely to be damaged by loud noises??

Parameters
Mom: 72-year-old female
Range: Outdoor
Shooting position: covered, standing
Distance from discharge: 5-6 feet, to the right side, slightly behind, left ear toward discharge
Round: .357 Magnum
Firearm: 3" Revolver

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Old people are very delicate.

I know one senior who damaged an eardrum just but taking a shower and getting water sprayed in her hear. It was a strong shower head.

I would never take a noob to the range without double protection installed by me. Plugs and muffs.

I went to a KISS concert (first ever show for me) in 1979 and my ears are still ringing badly. Hearing loss blows. Hope your mom is not damaged for life. Terrible way to learn a lesson on ear pro.

I experienced a similar problem. My friend and I were at an outdoor range shooting his 380 bodyguard. I adjusted my foam plug and while it was partially out, he fired the gun. My right ear (only good one I have remaining) went south. Loud ringing and very muffled hearing. It didn't go away, and after a couple of days. I finally went to my ear dr and found out the loss is permanent. My left ear is almost totally gone from when it was infected 50yrs ago. So now I have about 55% hearing in my right. Took steroids for a week but the damage was done. Kaput. Tinnitus is permanent 24/7. Got hearing aids which help but not same. Now I always wear cans and plugs. I'm 63 yrs old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out sighting in my Barrett M82 shortly after buying it - on a hot summer day. On the 100 yard walks back and forth to the 100 yard target I was shooting at, I took off my earpro. Got into position to fire it, and just as I pulled the trigger, I realized oooooooooooh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit my earpro isn't on.

I still have profound hearing loss and tinnitus in my both ears, and right is worse than left. The static noise is pretty loud as I sit here and type. So yeah....one round can do it

Sorry to hear what happened. It's always a good idea to make sure that everything is not only on but that it is on properly.

Thanks for your sympathies and feedback. Sounds like it's going to be her "new normal".

Poor thing... a cautionary tale for the rest of us, to be sure!
bf7f430d1dbb6b356029cb06ba0ad619.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom