Geotags (GPS coordinates) and the pictures you post online....

flintoid

Banned
Many of you NESers like to post pictures of your guns on this forum. And many of you are doing it with your smartphones/iphones/androids. These phones with cameras often are enabled to capture the geotag information of the photos you are taking of your firearms. And as you could imagine, there are quite a few pictures posted by NESrs that still contain this information, unwittingly. This is something that you should be concerned about if you are posting pictures of your firearms online.

What is geotag information?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geotag

How does it get onto your pictures? Most likely you're taking pictures with your iPhone, and usually by default, your iPhone uploads this information if you accepted all of those notifications about location settings while leaving your GPS on constantly. Turn that feature OFF. Here's where you can disable location services in iOS when using your camera:

iphone4_1.png

for other versions of iOS or android, go here: http://icanstalku.com/how.php

Why do you not want the GPS location of where you snapped your photos of your firearms on the internet?

You can do this math on your own.

If you don't know how to disable geotagging on your GPS enabled camera or camera phone, I suggest you just leave the pictures of your firearms off of the internet entirely.

FYI.

Last edited:
I put an ad on craigslist for some personal encounters and some of the women that were sending me pics I could see the address where the pictures were taken I was even kinda creeped out and that takes alot. I emailed one of them with their address and told her what was happening she was blown away and thanked me . I told her she was lucky I wasnt some psyco[devil]

I recommend uploading your images to imgur. It strips all EXIF data from images uploaded to it, so even if your phone is attaching geotag data to your pictures it won't show up in the images you post online. It's also super-easy to use and doesn't require an account if you don't want to create one (although you can if you want).

mine doesn't have any networking built in. Point shoot, pull out the card and upload to the computer.

Even cameras like that can have GPS built in. For example:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_s100#Features

Built-in GPS tracker records your location, and a logger allows easy viewing of the locations on a map to help you remember where images were taken.

The GPS data is embedded in the files, so when you put the card in and transfer the files to your computer, the data stays with them. I'd suggest looking up whatever model of camera you have to see if it has a GPS built into it.

Download EXIF pilot and you can edit the GPS data on your photos, change it to whatever you want. My favorite for gun pictures is:

Address:752 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017, USA
Latitude:40.750432°
Longitude:-73.967412°

Back
Top Bottom