George Patton Military Day

It's being going on for 5 or 6 years now and it is well received by the locals.
Good to know the locals don't get their panties bunched up over a patriotic event with gunz, veterans, war machines, etc[thumbsup]

The small town rag covering Hamilton and a few other little towns has an article about "Wenhan Museum's Patton Family Archives receives DAR Award"
(Daughters of the American Revolution)

Good to know the locals don't get their panties bunched up over a patriotic event with gunz, veterans, war machines, etc[thumbsup]

The small town rag covering Hamilton and a few other little towns has an article about "Wenhan Museum's Patton Family Archives receives DAR Award"
(Daughters of the American Revolution)

There’s a Sherman in their main park, Patton Park.

Lots of libs and fudds but I know a lot of gun guys from there too.

This event is definitely worth the trip! I've been to a few West Point Alumni Association events at Green Meadows farm and they have always been memorable. Joanne Holbrook Patton, widow of the late Major General George S. Patton (son of the famous World War II hero, General George S. Patton, Jr.) is a most elegant host and an amazing woman. Her home is a living museum, particularly, with respect to MGEN Patton's service in Viet Nam. Hopefully, that will be open to the public at this event. She and her late husband are truly magnificent American heroes!

Are they going to reenact how Patton gave the order to fire on American WW1 vets in the bonus army? Patton was a dirt ball and a piece of shit officer who got idolized because he was fortunate to rake in some wins during WW 2. He was the epitome of a crappy leader, with no regard for the lives of the men under his comand.

Show was a good time. Hot as balls though.
Both of my grandma's brothers served under patton.
They didn't complain about much but I do recall them not being his biggest fans.

Are they going to reenact how Patton gave the order to fire on American WW1 vets in the bonus army? Patton was a dirt ball and a piece of shit officer who got idolized because he was fortunate to rake in some wins during WW 2. He was the epitome of a crappy leader, with no regard for the lives of the men under his comand.

Opinions vary. And sometimes so do facts.

The two veterans killed seem to have been shot by police.

In the melee that followed, one veteran grabbed a policeman’s nightstick. The officer, George A. Shinault, drew his gun and shot and killed two veterans.

As the ambulances carried the fatally wounded men away, a St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter told the chief that troops were massing on the Ellipse. Unbeknown to Glassford, MacArthur had drawn up a plan to quell domestic rebellion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ck-them/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.281fb051d47f

Patton was there, along with several other senior officers and he apparently did his part but with less bloodshed.

Patton and the Bonus March of 1932
One of the first federal officers to arrive in Washington, D.C., was Major George S. Patton. His cavalry troops met up with infantry at the Ellipse, near the White House. Patton and the federal troops, equipped with gas masks, bayonets and sabers, marched up Pennsylvania Avenue, firing gas grenades and charging and subduing the angry crowd. Later that night, Patton and the federal troops cleared out the marchers' camp in Anacostia, with some tents and shacks catching fire in the process. By the following morning, most marchers had left Washington, but the incident left bitter memories and affected Patton deeply. He called it the "most distasteful form of service" and later wrote several papers on how federal troops could restore order quickly with the least possible bloodshed.

Patton a "crappy leader"? No way. Hard-nosed, autocratic, demanding, yes. But he got the most out of his men by understanding one thing. Men die in wars. It can't be helped. You can reduce casualties by not entering the battle, or you can do it by strong, forceful action which reduce the enemy's ability to kill your men.

We are going to have to differ on this point but I think many more knowledgeable military experts would agree with me rather than you.

As a final reference:

A Study of General George S. Patton Jr's. Leadership Style

Went for the second year in a row. My eight year-old daughter loves it. WWII day in NH is coming up next weekend, too. Took her to that one last year, she loved it as well.

Opinions vary. And sometimes so do facts.

The two veterans killed seem to have been shot by police.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ck-them/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.281fb051d47f

Patton was there, along with several other senior officers and he apparently did his part but with less bloodshed.

Patton a "crappy leader"? No way. Hard-nosed, autocratic, demanding, yes. But he got the most out of his men by understanding one thing. Men die in wars. It can't be helped. You can reduce casualties by not entering the battle, or you can do it by strong, forceful action which reduce the enemy's ability to kill your men.

We are going to have to differ on this point but I think many more knowledgeable military experts would agree with me rather than you.

As a final reference:

A Study of General George S. Patton Jr's. Leadership Style

tenor.gif

Before you post, make sure you have your facts in order, unless you like to create stupid myths and legends.

So called "Bonus Army" was manipulated by few commies to demand early maturity of bonds given to vets by the government. These bonds were suppose to mature in 1945, not whenever somebody needed them to mature. March happened in 1932! Patton was the executive officer and did not exercise direct command. "Bonus Army" started hurling stones and bricks first. They were tear-gassed. The cavalry advanced with sabers drawn and occasionally used the flats of their blades.

It feels awkward that refugee like me has to defend American hero from a misinformed citizen.

General Patton liberated concentration camp Buchenwald. Buchenwald was already under the control of the communists who initiated uprising knowing Patton's Army is on it's way. My grandfather, who was one of the leaders of the uprising, has told me that General Patton and his Army were something unbelievable back then. Unlike Red Army, which was stealing, raping and killing civilians all the way to liberation, Patton's Army was disciplined, very helpful and friendly. This from a hard core communist who was sitting in that camp from 1939 and thought Stalin was above the God!

Liberation of Buchenwald Concentration Camp by 6th Armored Division of US Third Army, 11 April 1945

Instead of posting insults you should pay attention to those who celebrate Patton's 6th Armored Division EVERY YEAR. Thousands of people would not appreciate your comments. Here is one example of such celebration from Pilsen (where beer is cheaper than water). I recommend you fly over there next year and get your facts updated on the ground:

View: https://youtu.be/qcoUvCME8Ko

This Museum of General Patton in Pilsen was funded by grateful citizens of the Czech Republic from their own pockets and it is maintained by private donations only.

View: https://youtu.be/2eWR335mUR0

Last edited:
Show was a good time. Hot as balls though.
Both of my grandma's brothers served under patton.
They didn't complain about much but I do recall them not being his biggest fans.

My dad’s unit was in 3rd Army briefly during the Bulge then moved to 9th Army. He was quite relieved when they were. Wasn’t a fan of the “I’ll get to Berlin first even if it takes a boxcar load of dog tags to do it.” comment.

My dad’s unit was in 3rd Army briefly during the Bulge then moved to 9th Army. He was quite relieved when they were. Wasn’t a fan of the “I’ll get to Berlin first even if it takes a boxcar load of dog tags to do it.” comment.

Patton understood the strategic importance of Berlin, unlike our politicians, who have decided already that they will gift half of Europe to Stalin and his security forces. To put it in perspective here are approximate casualties from WWII.:
WWIICasualities2.jpg

Massive Russian casualties were result of an absolute disregard for human lives exhibited by the Soviet leadership. Patton knew better, than our overly optimistic politicians, what Soviets can do. He considered them as an absolute evil and he would be fighting them after the war, if it would be up to him.

While his comments could be more sensitive, his desire to get to Berlin is understood more today than back then.

Take a look at the casualties list. Hungary, for example, lost more people than the United States. Yugoslavia, which was fighting Italians and Nazis during the entire war and had strong partisans lost 1.7M, Poland 4.3M.....Yet, all of these countries were given to Stalin! Stalin made sure the casualties went into astronomical numbers right after the war when his secret police (NKVD) liquidated millions in all of those countries. Patton talked about it during the war. He was not listened to and our politicians wanted him to be silent.

Our history does not speak about concentration camps in Europe built by Stalin. We talk about gulags, but concentration camps were working in Europe from 1945 under the direct command of NKVD which also utilized former Nazi prison guards in some areas. Patton listened to Russian refugees who escaped from communists in 1918 and were living since then in European cities. They were begging him to liberate those cities because if they would be liberated by Soviets they will be all killed or deported to Siberia. Our politicians did not care and gave such refugees back to Stalin as a gift. Only very few of them survived.

I served in both military pacts, NATO and Warsaw Pact, and I can tell you that NATO was always about making sure no soldier is left behind. In Warsaw Pact, which was under the control of the Red Army, you were expected to die. That was just one of many main differences.

Last edited:
He helped save France.

Back
Top Bottom