Gentlemen Knife Reccomendation

Junior314

NES Life Member
NES Member
New job requires me to dress up and my current Zero Tolerance EDC is too big/heavy for dress pants.

Any recommendations for a lightweight but quality flipper?

Ok, I went through this myself, though I never actually got the job. The leek is a good option but I might stay away from speedsafe knives because the fast deployment may bring attention. My parameters were sub 3” blade, manual deployment, a somewhat dressed up an non tactical appearance (whip any of these out to open a box in the office and people will think you’re fancy, not killy) which led me to alternative handle materials and a subsequent increase in price. Most of the knives I’m about to list are north of $200 some pushing $300 and the small Sebenza’s are close to $475-$500 because they’re all dressed up versions. Hence, gentleman folder. Some are lock backs, Sebenza’s are frame lock and I think the Domino is a liner lock and a flipper. Hope this helps.

Spyderco Chapparal2D336C0C-C243-4198-A7E3-2615D0E64FF3.png
Spyderco Delica 4 damascus and titanium
C7919B82-268D-4F62-8A9C-9007CB6CB362.png
Spyderco Domino carbon fiber
C99C6659-0CA8-4F93-BA9C-C332748568FF.png
Chris Reeves small Sebenza 21 insingo carbon fiber
20FBB5A0-2359-4EFD-A016-9DDD15F84D14.png
Soyderco Native 5 carbon fiber

B1C0C6FD-A837-44DF-80C8-0CCA43C14FE6.png
That should be a small sebenza drop point with micarta inlays, this has been difficult to do on the phone. Ohh edit, it’s a lefty model too, perfect for me!038257E0-264D-4491-A141-28F2EDC86AAB.png

Last edited:
My first recommendation is that unless you are leaking extra money, don't spend a lot of money on a knife that could potentially be thrown in the trash or tossed into a drawer, that you will never see again.
Second recommendation is to stay away from any knife that screams tactical. If you pull it out, and "flick" it open with one hand, some people (sheep) might think it is just as practical as a switch blade.
I suggest you consider a classic. A knife that says " My grandfather gave this to me when I got my merit badge." Something that no one would look at twice if you used it to slice an apple at your desk, or open a box with. The originals are gone, but they have been reintroduced. Although, you could probably find a real nice original at a flea market or yard sale if you kept your eyes open. At under $50 bucks it is affordable, and is just under 4" folded. Save your ultra cool tactical Spyderco for the weekends
1579689887326.png

ZT 0450? I ordered one that just showed up yesterday. It’s going back because it’s a little too slim/small for my needs, but if you like ZT the 0450 might work for yours.

Kershaw leek

Can't say enough about this recommendation. Been using it for years (work in an office environment). Small, sleek, sharp and easy to keep sharp. Inexpensive so if you lose it then you won't cry; you just get another one. Mine gets used everyday. It is also in my pocket when I am fishing, hunting and working around the house.

Buck 342 Vantage Pro Small

BU-342BKS1.jpg

USA made, holds a great edge. I work at a corporate office and nobody blinks at it if left folded on my desk or whenever I use it. It's not only my office knife, I keep it literally razor sharp and use it every pheasant season to dress out birds.

ZT 0450? I ordered one that just showed up yesterday. It’s going back because it’s a little too slim/small for my needs, but if you like ZT the 0450 might work for yours.

I've got the original in titanium with the red spacer. It is indeed slim, small, ridiculously light, and not something I EDC because of the reasons you're returning yours. It is however, perfect for a night out or social functions where I don't want a PM2 in my pocket.

Ok, I went through this myself, though I never actually got the job. The leek is a good option but I might stay away from speedsafe knives because the fast deployment may bring attention. My parameters were sub 3” blade, manual deployment, a somewhat dressed up an non tactical appearance (whip any of these out to open a box in the office and people will think you’re fancy, not killy) which led me to alternative handle materials and a subsequent increase in price. Most of the knives I’m about to list are north of $200 some pushing $300 and the small Sebenza’s are close to $475-$500 because they’re all dressed up versions. Hence, gentleman folder. Some are lock backs, Sebenza’s are frame lock and I think the Domino is a liner lock and a flipper. Hope this helps.

Spyderco ChapparalView attachment 326347
Spyderco Delica 4 damascus and titanium
View attachment 326348
Spyderco Domino carbon fiber
View attachment 326349
Chris Reeves small Sebenza 21 insingo carbon fiber
View attachment 326350
Soyderco Native 5 carbon fiber

View attachment 326352
That should be a small sebenza drop point with micarta inlays, this has been difficult to do on the phone. Ohh edit, it’s a lefty model too, perfect for me!View attachment 326351

Funny you mention that about Kershaw Speedsafe. I have a beater Kershaw for my office for boxes. Like a $20. knife. Works perfectly for that application, but it is all black and with speedsafe, people around the office think it is more dangerous than it is. I suppose the tanto profile makes it look a bit stabby too.

For my work EDC, where I have to wear dress shirts tucked into slacks, I carry a tiny Spyderco Dragonfly 2. It has a rather harmless looking 2.5" blade that is just large enough to be useful around the office. Tiny little knife though, so if you have bit mitts, maybe not the best suggestion.

I've got the original in titanium with the red spacer. It is indeed slim, small, ridiculously light, and not something I EDC because of the reasons you're returning yours. It is however, perfect for a night out or social functions where I don't want a PM2 in my pocket.

That's the same one; Ti with red. It actually feels about the same size as - but maybe just smaller than - my BM 940, which works well enough for EDC, but I figured I don't need two knives that are so close. With the decision made I did the only reasonable thing and bought one bigger knife and one much, much smaller knife instead. [smile] Both show up on Friday. I'm so excited I might have to work from home and open the front door every 3 minutes until they arrive.

Last edited:
I recently purchased an Ontario Rat II. I try not to over spend on my edc knives because I am rough on them. This one is 2.75 oz, has a 3" blade, D2 steel, carbon fiber handle,and a liner lock for just under $50. Rat II

1579707755357.png

Attachments

• h10-ramshornx(med1====large.gif
    h10-ramshornx(med1====large.gif
    235.5 KB · Views: 17
Kershaw Whirlwind

KE-1560SW.jpg

• Overall Length:7.75"
  • Blade Material:14C28N.
  • Handle Length:4.375"
  • Handle Thickness:0.59"
  • Handle Material Polymer.
  • Weight:3.60 oz.
  • Pocket Clip:Tip-Down.
  • Knife Type:Spring Assisted.

William Henry if you want a gentleman’s knife.

Most everything listed here has not fit that description. Almost all suggestions have been small tactical knives.

Did not see a flipper on his site.
Yeah I guess if he needs a flipper then I suggest an RJ Martin
If lightweight is most important go with the new slim version. If you want more of a gentleman’s folder the sky is the limit with materials.

Not a knife guy but WOW those are beautiful. Fell out of my chair when I saw the price though. Those are some works of art
Yeah they make beautiful pieces. Seems the have some higher end stuff lately. You used to be able to get some more basic items with simple bolsters and sexy koa wood and stuff like that for say $325. That was a while ago though.
if you want to fall out of your seat look for some George Dailey custom folders. Dude is a mentor of mine and a genius when it comes to knives. Not to mention some of the best engravers out there did work on his knives

Back
Top Bottom