NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi there we are looking for a generator for our house

We would use for the generator for the following:
sump pump
Furnace (gas)
Tankless water heater (gas)
Coffee maker (not a deal breaker could also do the whole French press deal v keurig)
Fridge
Maybe the tv etc and some lights
Portable heater (dyson)
Washer dryer are electric but wouldn’t plan to run

We don’t have a transfer switch so would just run extension cords.

Thinking of this one thoughts?

Last edited:

Robin Proctor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

Go bigger, you only get about 80% of the rating with propane. Since gens shouldn’t be loaded over 80% of their rating anyways , except for brief periods, you are looking at 80% of 80%.
Also you don’t need a transfer switch. If you have a spare 30Amp breaker you can tie into it and back feed your panel through a 30Amp twist lock installed on the outside of the house. Transfer switches are easier but the method I mentioned isn’t bad either. You just have to be conscious about opening the main before turning on the spare ties into the gen. Otherwise you will need a break gen

Enzo

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go bigger, you only get about 80% of the rating with propane. Since gens shouldn’t be loaded over 80% of their rating anyways , except for brief periods, you are looking at 80% of 80%.
Also you don’t need a transfer switch. If you have a spare 30Amp breaker you can tie into it and back feed your panel through a 30Amp twist lock installed on the outside of the house. Transfer switches are easier but the method I mentioned isn’t bad either. You just have to be conscious about opening the main before turning on the spare ties into the gen. Otherwise you will need a break gen
This but use an interlock. Costs about $40 at places like Home Depot.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you're going to backfeed through an inlet and fear you'll forget to disengage the main when running off the genset, they make an interlock for your main panel that will prevent the main and the 2 pole 30 from being on at the same time. They sell a few different ones based on the brand of your panel and they are very easy to install. Drill a couple holes in the trim panel and install. Not necessary but foolproof. Again, if doing this, you'll need a 240v genset. I agree with the above that you should go bigger. 6500 watts or so would run the whole house as long as you don't go crazy running everything at once. That said, try to find a backup rated unit. Some construction site units don't provide clean power and their output can be hazardous to sensitive electronics.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get at least a 7500-10000 watt genie. I would go with the generator transfer kit because it’s the right way and safer than cords everywhere. But I get it if it’s for very limited use and your power doesn’t go out much. If your not handy and the kit is too much to handle for you hire an electrician. I would say hire a “LICENSED” electrician but that’s gets everybody fired up on here😂😂.good luck.

Atlantis

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Listen to @Palladin to do it right.

Many people do backfeed through a 30amp twistlock connection. Code says if you do this you have to have an interlock and also break the bond between neutral and ground at the panel. Virtually no one back feeding does this. Some do not wire the ground wire on the 30amp receptical so that if your generator is chassis bonded neutral, then there aren’t two neutral - ground bonds.

Short answer is backfeeding is fairly common just buy that little interlock for your panel to make it dummy proof.

And like everyone said, the load regulation of a generator suffers greatly near its max rating. Two common reasons generators cause issues for downstream equipment:
1) Running at max load and surging causes voltage and frequency variation.
2) Running out of gas and wild surging causing wild voltage and frequency variations.

Both of these get better if you run your gen at ~50% rated load. You have better economy and you also have much better voltage/frequency regulation

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen to @Palladin to do it right.

Many people do backfeed through a 30amp twistlock connection. Code says if you do this you have to have an interlock and also break the bond between neutral and ground at the panel. Virtually no one back feeding does this. Some do not wire the ground wire on the 30amp receptical so that if your generator is chassis bonded neutral, then there aren’t two neutral - ground bonds.

Short answer is backfeeding is fairly common just buy that little interlock for your panel to make it dummy proof.

And like everyone said, the load regulation of a generator suffers greatly near its max rating. Two common reasons generators cause issues for downstream equipment:
1) Running at max load and surging causes voltage and frequency variation.
2) Running out of gas and wild surging causing wild voltage and frequency variations.

Both of these get better if you run your gen at ~50% rated load. You have better economy and you also have much better voltage/frequency regulation
Back feeding kills lineman😂😂😂

bsaks

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had @Palladin do an interlock setup for my house just this fall. I'm on propane everything and a well. Went with a westinghouse dual fuel similar to the one you posted but bigger. Not that I need 9500 watts, but factoring use of propane and trying to stay around 50% load.

Save yourself the trouble and just have @Palladin take care of you.

Robin Proctor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
More likely to kill your gennie than a lineman, takes a lot of juice to backfeed those lines. But yeah I wouldn’t want to be one of those guys. Gens and solar everywhere these days... Like above I only recommend backfeeding a spare if you install an interlock. You might remember to do things in order when you test it once a year...I mean month. But @2AM on a Tuesday just you, your britches and a flashlight...forgetting is very easy.

oldguy68

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Hey, just buy a $400.00 Harbor Freight generator and plug it right into a dryer or range outlet.
Throw all that caution and safety out the window. Only a fool would hire someone to jerry rig that up!
What's the worse that can happen?[rofl2]
You don't need a license to do something so simple a five year old could do it!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

Please post your first experience here after your done with your insurance co and the fire dept/police investigation.[smile]
Doing it right will be cheaper than any lawyer on this forum![slap]

Last edited:

NES Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Hey, just buy a $400.00 Harbor Freight generator and plug it right into a dryer or range outlet.
Throw all that caution and safety out the window. Only a fool would hire someone to jerry rig that up!
What's the worse that can happen?[rofl2]
You don't need a license to do something so simple a five year old could do it!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

Please post your first experience here after your done with your insurance co and the fire dept/police investigation.[smile]
Doing right will be cheaper than any lawyer on this forum![slap]
[puke2]Nothing Chinese.....NOTHING

JJ4

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

RoterTeufel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
not to hi-jack... but

I recently picked up a generator too.
Need to find a pro to wire it for me - household electrical is one of those things I never picked up.

Any contractors/electricians on here, please feel free to PM me.
I've got more projects too (i.e. room above garage, run 220 to garage)

bostonelli

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks all - our power goes out maybe once a year for half a day on average. Really just looking for a simple solution and don’t mind running extension cables for the basics. Agree it should be done by a professional as I am the last person to ask about electrical work.

Palladin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
not to hi-jack... but

I recently picked up a generator too.
Need to find a pro to wire it for me - household electrical is one of those things I never picked up.

Any contractors/electricians on here, please feel free to PM me.
I've got more projects too (i.e. room above garage, run 220 to garage)
PM sent

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had @Palladin do an interlock setup for my house just this fall. I'm on propane everything and a well. Went with a westinghouse dual fuel similar to the one you posted but bigger. Not that I need 9500 watts, but factoring use of propane and trying to stay around 50% load.

Save yourself the trouble and just have @Palladin take care of you.

Can you pay him in ammo?

Top Bottom