• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Generally speaking, what competition available for .22?

Those of you familiar with competition shooting, what do you find actually being available or common for .22 rifle or pistol? I'm interested in venturing into competition shooting, but trying to keep the budget low.

Competitions/events I'm aware of:
Appleseed (.22 rifle 3 position shooting)
One hand pistol bullseye
Two hand pistol bullseye (more informally)

What else is commonly available, especially around MA?

Any action shooting with .22 pistol or rifle? I know they usually emphasize practical defense calibers, but the thriftiness of .22 is very attractive.

PF&G has 22LR silhouette shoots. Not sure about other places, since I'm within walking distance of PF&G (of course I'm a member). :) IIRC, they also have turning targets for 22LR shoots. I seem to recall something about NRA competition with that.

Many years back, I know my father did some competitions (indoor IIRC) with a 22LR pistol (High Standard tricked out pistol) close [enough] to Shrewsbury.

theres plenty of games for 22lr
The BIG question is if ANYONE is running anything at your local clubs.

I have been trying to get some interest in some 22lr F class style and Know Your Limits style 22lr shoots.

Any action shooting with .22 pistol or rifle?

Steel challenge! Harvard and Holbrook are two clubs in MA that offer steel challenge. Might be more that I’m not aware of. Chester rod and gun in Chester, NH and Pioneer Sportsman’s in Dunbarton, NH does steel challenge too.

This was the 2017 Harvard SC scheduled. 3rd Saturday of the month:
2017 Steel Challenge at Harvard Sportsmens Club

Last edited:
New Bedford used to run Steel Challenge fairly regularly, that was where I shot the various games when I lived down there.

Where is the pelham silhouette schedule? I am a member and have been looking
I don't see anything on the calendar... Maybe send an email to the club secretary to find out if there's a schedule coming up or what the deal is. I know it was mentioned during orientation when I [re]joined in early 2017.

Those of you familiar with competition shooting, what do you find actually being available or common for .22 rifle or pistol? I'm interested in venturing into competition shooting, but trying to keep the budget low.

Competitions/events I'm aware of:
Appleseed (.22 rifle 3 position shooting)
One hand pistol bullseye
Two hand pistol bullseye (more informally)

What else is commonly available, especially around MA?

Any action shooting with .22 pistol or rifle? I know they usually emphasize practical defense calibers, but the thriftiness of .22 is very attractive.

Looks like Holbrook holds matches June-September (4th Sunday). I’ve never made it down to their matches.

Holbrook Sportsmens Club - Steel Challenge

First ones in April
2018 dates :
4th Sunday of the month @ 9am ( except 2)
April 22
May 26 ( sat)
June 24
July 22
August 25 (Sat)
September 23
October 28

Harvards another good place for Steel. I was kind of bummed out that they cancelled the March s.c. shoot. I cried on the inside. I'm going to try and bounce between the 2.

Action Pistol is another good one. We (Holbrook) run a lot of steel for that. 1 free for all stage and 1 random s.c. stage. I think theres a shoot this sunday.

Most clubs have a bullseye nra rifle team, thats a good time. Good precision pracice.

Trying to push a "know your limits" style shoot for the summer. Have 3 sets targets made up,shoot/program details are all hashed out, just waiting on nicer weather and some dates.

Country pond fish and game in Newton nh does 22 rimfire plate shoots once a month. Next one is March 11. Rifle and pistol categories and divisions based on type of action and optic used.

It is open to the public. Tons of fun. Easy going group as long as you are paying attention to the safety rules .

Country Pond Fish and Game Club 22 Plate Shoots

Back
Top Bottom