• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

General NH questions...

<rant>
Most importantly, help us fight all the bills that the Democrats, who control congress, are trying to push through (or override vetos) right now.

Hopefully, the Republicans can take control the next election, as these bills are horrible.
</rant>

If the exit you are getting at has one of the liquor stores, you're legally required to purchase a handle before proceeding to your destination.

I’m pretty sure that’s on the “Welcome to NH” and “Liquor Store” exit signs.

I realize it now because I was pulled over on my way to Ossipee by a NH State Trooper who noticed I didn’t walk out a state liquor store with a bag/box of booze. He gave me some of what he had in his trunk and let me off with a warning.

Learn to pronounce names of stuff up here so you won't stand out when saying them wrong. Let's see... Coos, Kancamagus, Cheshire, Pisgah, Contoocook (that one is tricky), Belknap, Berlin, etc...

Also, anyone who has done home renovation projects and can tell me what the process of pulling permits and stuff is like, thatd help too. I gotta re-do the bathroom before we move. Thanks everyone for the input keep it coming!

Its already been said.

Pretty much you can do what you want, to a degree....within the adopted state regs and local town ordinances (which can vary = so IMHO, check with your local Building Dept and Zoning Board).

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I believe you still need a P&R license to carry on a sled or ATV.
Yes, for loaded handguns (and no loaded long gun carry at all).

Fritz has already been mentioned, but remember: in February, it's good to know a plow guy.

That grew out of their earlier video:

Also, anyone who has done home renovation projects and can tell me what the process of pulling permits and stuff is like, thatd help too. I gotta re-do the bathroom before we move. Thanks everyone for the input keep it coming!
Not really big on asking government permission for every little thing around here...

When I moved to NH I thought, cool now I can buy the guns Maura hates. After 1.5 years I'm saving up for an MG..... FU MA

Hey all,

Been in MA my whole life. Finally moving up into NH. Any one have any thoughts or advice about firearms/home ownership in NH? Or anyone wanna remind me of which bullshit laws i no longer have to put up with?

thanks
In addition to what has already been said, to put a point on it . . . a friend retired to the middle of NH and went to the PD to find out what licenses he needed for his machine guns. The PD told him just take them out and shoot them! That's really it.

One thing you no longer have to worry about is storage laws.
True except if children can get to them.

Oh yeah, I believe you still need a P&R license to carry on a sled or ATV.
True.

As others have said, Drop the MA mindset. It is legal unless prohibited. In MA they allow you to do things.
PS. Read [memorize] the NH Constitution, at least part first which contains the bill of rights. Make sure the legislators follow it!

Dont vote/drive like a ma**h***
57% of NH residents were not born there. Only about 1/4 of those are from MA. And that suggests that most people who move from MA to NH are strident liberals - which makes no sense. But Massachusetts is the Bogey Man: all problems originate from your southern neighbor and you are powerless to fix them.

If you buy a pickup truck in NH, it comes with a deed to the left hand lane. You never have to pull over and let faster traffic by: whatever speed you decide is "fast enough." Driving to Boston for a Red Sox game? Same rules.

When we bought the place at Sunapee, we asked the real estate agent, "You gonna make fun of the new people from Boston once we leave?" She said, "Lord, no - there is a long list of locals ahead of you!" She was not kidding. When I go to town hall I get the lowdown. Population 830 and they have an opinion on every one of them.

Depends on the municipality, but the phrase “it’s easier to ask for fogiveness than permission” is quite applicable. I live in literally the worst municipality in the state for permitting for projects. My neighbor put a shed dormer on his house with no permits. I did pretty big work with no permits. No one cares, taxation is theft.

Wouldn’t know: our place is in Goshen. The taxes, although absurd, are still lower than Sunapee.

Arguing whether MA drivers in NH are worse than NH drivers in Boston is like arguing who is worse, the Dolphins or Jets.

Sunapee is a small town with a lot of homes/properties owned by out of state weekenders that dont participate in any way, shape or form in the actual day to day operation of the town besides paying property taxes and blowing in/out a couple weekends a year and sometimes during school holidays......its a resort town of sorts and not representative in a great many ways of the region let alone NH

Do you really expect locals to NOT make fun of the dumb shit that blow ins do on the weekends?

PoPo in most every town on every route in/out of the area are super busy every weekend pulling over bad out of state drivers......Sunapee is somewhat unique in the sense that most every major road in/out of downtown areas have flashing warning signs displaying messages to slow down/not speed and out of staters STILL blow through them 15-20 over the limit and are shocked that they get tickets.....

Dont even get the rest of us started on ma**h***s that sit in the left lane of our highways doing the same speed as the right lane and refuse to let anyone pass.......

Its pure comedy

As for your suggestion that most MA-NH transplants are libs I would challenge you to do a little research......

you'll find that generally speaking the counties that border mAss are actually the most conservative......they are the most populated and they are also generally speaking the counties that most blow ins settle down in.

But back to the point.....if you dont want to be treated like a ma**h*** then dont ACT like a ma**h***......you know the saying......when in Rome.....

Sunapee is a small town with a lot of homes/properties owned by out of state weekenders that dont participate in any way, shape or form in the actual day to day operation of the town besides paying property taxes and blowing in/out a couple weekends a year and sometimes during school holidays......its a resort town of sorts and not representative in a great many ways of the region let alone NH

Do you really expect locals to NOT make fun of the dumb shit that blow ins do on the weekends?

PoPo in most every town on every route in/out of the area are super busy every weekend pulling over bad out of state drivers......Sunapee is somewhat unique in the sense that most every major road in/out of downtown areas have flashing warning signs displaying messages to slow down/not speed and out of staters STILL blow through them 15-20 over the limit and are shocked that they get tickets.....

Dont even get the rest of us started on ma**h***s that sit in the left lane of our highways doing the same speed as the right lane and refuse to let anyone pass.......

Its pure comedy

As for your suggestion that most MA-NH transplants are libs I would challenge you to do a little research......

you'll find that generally speaking the counties that border mAss are actually the most conservative......they are the most populated and they are also generally speaking the counties that most blow ins settle down in.

But back to the point.....if you dont want to be treated like a ma**h*** then dont ACT like a ma**h***......you know the saying......when in Rome.....
Wait, do ma**h*** drivers drive to fast and get tickets or do they drive too slow in the breakdown Lane and slow you New Hampshire idiots down you're all over the freakin place.

Again

They just don't want to have to dig out the typewriter.... no I'm not kidding.

He's not kidding. The permit is done on this tissue thin paper with several layers and the carbon paper built into it. So, you need the typewriter to press hard through all the copies. It's nearly impossible to then carry the permit around with you without turning it into a crumbled mess. I had carried a photocopy of it shrunken down to fit in wallet, no idea if that was legal, but it hardly matters now unless I'm on an ATV.

He's not kidding. The permit is done on this tissue thin paper with several layers and the carbon paper built into it. So, you need the typewriter to press hard through all the copies. It's nearly impossible to then carry the permit around with you without turning it into a crumbled mess. I had carried a photocopy of it shrunken down to fit in wallet, no idea if that was legal, but it hardly matters now unless I'm on an ATV.
My P&R was delayed, took almost a week, because they had to get a new ribbon. They actually apologized for the delay.

This annoys the crap outta me cause if I’m not mistaken non res license is a card like a drivers license. I know it doesn’t really matter now with CC and all but I’d pay and extra $1 to not have this folded wafer thin piece of paper floating around in my wallet.

This annoys the crap outta me cause if I’m not mistaken non res license is a card like a drivers license. I know it doesn’t really matter now with CC and all but I’d pay and extra $1 to not have this folded wafer thin piece of paper floating around in my wallet.
The non-resident license is also $100, and is produced centrally by the state, instead of being generated locally at each town without any (acknowledged) central recordkeeping.

And even the Non-res license were all delayed a few years back when they ran out of the card blanks.

I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no requirement to carry the license with you while in state on the rare occasions that it would even be needed. You may need to carry it if you are using it out of state for reciprocity though.

Not having the non-resident style card is a good thing. To produce those, either every town would have to purchase more expensive equipment with your real estate taxes, or the state would be involved in issuing licenses. Lower tech is much better in this case.

Acclimation is a 3 step process.

1. Register and vote
2. Submit as many form 4s for suppressors as you can afford.
3. Download the NH Brewer's association app and start collecting stamps.

Can you still get a P+R permit if you want to?
Sorry my Mass paranoia is showing.
ggboy
I would recommend getting it.

- Useful for face-to-face purchases when you don't know the seller (requirement for pistols)
- Cheap and easy to get (mine took less than one business day)
- Some other perks like ATV carry and stuff, reciprocity with like 20+ states
- Required if you are going to apply for a MA non-res

If you never travel out of NH and never do face-to-face sales or carry "in weird ways/places" then maybe it's not worth your $10. But I'm surprised at the number of people who say "don't bother" when it definitely does have some benefits to many people.

I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no requirement to carry the license with you while in state on the rare occasions that it would even be needed. You may need to carry it if you are using it out of state for reciprocity though.

Not having the non-resident style card is a good thing. To produce those, either every town would have to purchase more expensive equipment with your real estate taxes, or the state would be involved in issuing licenses. Lower tech is much better in this case.
According to the PD where I got mine, a picture (on your phone) satisfies any need to "carry" it with you. In state, the police can simply call the issuing town to confirm you have the P&R if needed.

Since I don't actually HAVE a wallet these days, trying to carry the 'wafer thin' license wouldn't work well for me. Especially since you're not supposed to copy/reduce and/or laminate it.

Back
Top Bottom