• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

General Mini 14 Thread

Not mine but that's a pretty neat setup:
P1w15OM5sCc2KRe-SmgX6tsZmMLRnRWcx4nZrLtiw0w.jpg
A bad guy’s right hand henchman would use that in an 80’s action movie, while defending the bad guy’s palatial cocaine-provided mansion.

Just got a Mini-14 too. Pretty excited. Anyone here have advice about what accessories are “must have”? How have you all improved the iron sights or have you gone with some kind of optics? What spare parts and such should I have on hand? Any other advice for a novice with his first rifle?

Just got a Mini-14 too. Pretty excited. Anyone here have advice about what accessories are “must have”? How have you all improved the iron sights or have you gone with some kind of optics? What spare parts and such should I have on hand? Any other advice for a novice with his first rifle?
If you use iron sights, the Tech-Sights rear sight is a significant upgrade. If you want to mount a red dot or long eye relief magnified scope you will want a scout rail to replace the factory hand guard. Mounting with scope rings over the ejection port, even though the rifle is designed for it, is not ideal because ejecting brass is hard on scopes and the height over the action doesn't allow for the best cheek weld without a cheek riser added the stock (or a custom ordered Boyd's stock). It works but not great, so the scout rail setup is really the best if you want to run an optic.

Amega's rail offers built in sling and flashlight mounting holes with a longer Picantinny rail, but site too high to lower 1/3rd cowitness (depends on the optic, typically only the Bushnell TRS-25 only) with iron sights if that matters to you. Ultimak's scout rail will lower 1/3rd cowitness (TRS-25), but lacks the attachment points on the sides of the rail (you'd have to use low profile top mounted accessory mounts instead). The scout rails are milled aluminum which is an excellent heat sink. This requires removal of the gas block screws which is a pain and if you're at it, might as well address the gas system and screw torque. See further below.

If you don't mount an optic I recommend replacement of the factory hand guard with a Choate Machine Tool's ventilated composite hand guard (15 dollars thereabouts) or Accuracy Systems Inc's aluminum version ($80ish, essentially the same ventilation pattern as the Choate and it acts as better heat sink in addition to air circulation because its aluminum) to help keep the barrel cool. Keeping the barrel cool significantly improves the consistency of accuracy. The impact of the operating rod on the gas block causes significant vibration of the barrel and the cooler the barrel stays the less susceptible it is to flexing (barrel whip) which results in vertical stringing of shots. (this was the source of notorious accuracy problems in the older pencil barrel Mini-14s)

Place a 1911 buffer bushing (rubber impact pad) behind the spring guide at the rear of the receiver for the operating rod to keep the action from beating itself to death. This will help with barrel harmonics and reduce vibrations transferred to optics. This is a must upgrade item that makes a significant difference for less than 10 dollars.
download (11).jpg
(not my photo, credit goes to PerfectUnion forums)

I'd recommend a M1 Carbine sling on the factory swivels or to replace the 1" factory sling swivels with 1.25" quick detach swivels to permit use of common rifle slings. The existing swivel studs can be drilled out to fit the qd swivels.

Preferably you'd replace the gas system bushing with a .45 to .50 to tame the overgassed action (also reduces heating of the barrel @ the gas block which improves accuracy on hot days + sustained fire) and evenly torque the gas block screws, if not replace the entire steel gas block with an adjustable one from Accuracy Systems Inc (adjustable gas block is made from aluminum which again is an improved heat sink). This requires a good torque wrench and isn't for the non mechanically inclined, but if you install a scout rail (mentioned above) you'll have to undo these screws anyway.

Mini14 doesn't really need spare parts. If something breaks Ruger will usually take care of it.

Non factory magazines will most likely require disassembly and tweaking of the followers to work reliably.

Painting the front sight blade with green photoluminescent paint (FolkArt 2874E Glow-in-the-Dark Acrylic Craft Paint ~$2 at Walmart) or nail polish works wonders.

It is possible to replace the front sight blade with a SKS style post from Sunflower Outdoor Sports called the MoReaper or a M1A dovetail base from Cogburn Arsenal for M1A or M14 sight posts, but both require a front sight puller tool from Matrix Precision Parts to remove the front sight without potentially damaging the barrel.

If your short on money: I'd paint the front sight, buy a 1911 buffer bushing for the action, a Choate hand guard to cool the rifle, and a m1 carbine sling. Best ~$50 spent to maximize enjoyment on a budget.

Last edited:
Everything Waher said. The big question that needs attention is did you get a new mini with a tapered barrel or an older mini with a pencil barrel?

I got a newer tapered barrel model, manufactured in 2014 if I am not mistaken, so the accuracy is not too bad (though I am still getting used to it, and was not firing from a rest or anything), just found the iron sights limiting if you will.

Thank you Waher, especially for the $50 buck advice, I think I will definitely start there! And I saw the Tech-sights rear sight on Amazon of all places, almost picked it up... sounds like that and the paint might be the way to go for now before trying my hand at installing any further optics.

Thank you all again, and any further thoughts appreciated!

I have the Amega rail. It's nice, and I like it, but remember that it's solid aluminum, not shitty plastic. It's freaking heavy.

Definitely tackle the overgassing issue. Launching brass the whole way down the firing line is very obnoxious to the people on your right.

I've also found that the Hogue over molded stock fits me way better than the factory black polymer one.

Picked up a mini 14 yesterday from my favorite shop up in Turners Falls.
Finally moved on from only having 7.62x39 for my various sks collection to shooting something more domestic.
I cant wait to get it out to the range and now I can begin the arduous process of finding the last 4 pre ban mini mags in the state, otherwise its 10 rounders from here on out

Picked up a mini 14 yesterday from my favorite shop up in Turners Falls.
Finally moved on from only having 7.62x39 for my various sks collection to shooting something more domestic.
I cant wait to get it out to the range and now I can begin the arduous process of finding the last 4 pre ban mini mags in the state, otherwise its 10 rounders from here on out
A familiar pain! I got lucky in the classifieds here, just asking every time someone was selling their mini-14 with the option of buying some prebans with it, if they were interested in selling just the mags. They all wanted to wait to see if the buyer wanted them… and I got lucky one time, and the buyer didn’t want them! Good deal, too.

Ironically, I am having similar trouble finding a reasonably priced SKS!

A familiar pain! I got lucky in the classifieds here, just asking every time someone was selling their mini-14 with the option of buying some prebans with it, if they were interested in selling just the mags. They all wanted to wait to see if the buyer wanted them… and I got lucky one time, and the buyer didn’t want them! Good deal, too.

Ironically, I am having similar trouble finding a reasonably priced SKS!
Not sure if this will be of help but I recently directed a friend to this online vendor who got a shipment of chicom sks

OOPS!!!Doubled up, sorry fellas, out here in Ohio and been lurking, figured I'd share a current project!!!...Just got some Cogburn sights for the front and need to decide which one to use....Gonna chop the barrel to 16.5" and thread it, put on a Keymount brake/suppressor for the Dead Air Sandman-L...I'd like to think it has an "American AK" Kinda feel to it...LOL

Which one you guys think?? I'm leaning toward the H&K style, but the Dovetail would allow me any number of options....I'm really kinda stuck and NOT doin a thing till I set my mind right...

If you go with the dovetail, you will have to aware that most M1A/M14 sights height may have to be filed down to adjust the point of impact with a chopped barrel since they were size for a longer sight radius on a M1A/M14.

Yep, but I can't bring myself to ever own a commie gun, no matter what, I suppose I was "brainwashed as a kid and from Basic Training in 81...LOL...Hence my attempt at having my answer to those damned things with my "American AK"..LOL...I fo think it's gonna look FAR better than any AK once I get the sight on and put on that Deadair Brake, I got one on my LR308 and they look as good as they work, and man they work fantastically!!!!

If you go with the dovetail, you will have to aware that most M1A/M14 sights height may have to be filed down to adjust the point of impact with a chopped barrel since they were size for a longer sight radius on a M1A/M14.
Thanks for the heads up!!! I hadn't thought that far down the road in regards to that, I'll have to make sure the gunsmith I commission to do the work is aware of the issue and can remedy the prob!!!..That certainly would make for a useless unit if it can't be properly zeroed, actually, it's a really good thing you mentioned that, I'm gonna mic the H&K blade as well and see how wide it is too, it might need attention even if I go with that one...I wanna get to a NM either way, didn't bother asking Cogburn bein I heard he's not one to answer emails ordinarily...

Cole over at Cogburn Arsenal has become difficult to contact. He used to answer emails promptly and now it's weeks if he gets back to people at all. Still processes orders without issue. Don't know what's up with him. His entire social media game dropped off a cliff.

Cole over at Cogburn Arsenal has become difficult to contact. He used to answer emails promptly and now it's weeks if he gets back to people at all. Still processes orders without issue. Don't know what's up with him. His entire social media game dropped off a cliff.
Yeah, literally got my stuff tonight and HAD asked a question....No dice, but man they came quicker than I'd heard was the norm, I really like what he's done though, fantastically done in terms of quality visually, I'm expecting the exact same in the way of fit as well!!!

Just ordered my rear tech sights for my mini 14 (thanks @Waher !). I found the factory sights to be way off out of the box and I wasnt terribly good at using them compared to shooting my old mans garand and m1a.
Now to look into that 1911 bushing deal and getting some white or flouro green on the front sight post

Back
Top Bottom