Generac Portable Recall

“According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, unlocked handles can “pinch” people’s fingers against the generator frame when the generator is moved, leading to fingers being crushed or even amputated.

Generac has received 37 reports of injuries due to their power generators, 24 of which are finger amputations and five in finger crushing.”

So they sell a million units and 37 people don’t know how to move the unit and that forms the basis of a recall? Heck, I injure myself all the time moving various machinery and other shop equipment. I mean, I know it sucks, but a recall? What is the fix?

Might explain why GNRC has gone from $500 to $100 in a years time when rolling blackouts are expected across Western Civilization

and that is why I have Honda generators.... 5 in total.... never a recall, start on the first pull
7000i sitting in the garage as my redundancy generator. Has full tank of treated non e-10 fuel plus 25 fresh gallons of the same in Eagle Safety Cans. $4.50/gal.
I just went thru it last week in the spring like weather we had.

If something happens to my Kohler standby I wanted to have more backup. I can easily back feed my generator panel from my garage panel and kill both my main panels.

More so if you're stupid.

Just another reason why a friend who used to sell and service Generac stopped. "Genercrap" is what he called it. He told me that they used to be good, he traces the change to when they shipped engine production to China. They've changed that since, bringing it back to the US, so maybe they have improved.
"Life is dangerous..."

"Life is dangerous..."

Kid's lucky he didn't get a "Blood Eagle"... 🤔
View attachment 684955
Damn I bet that hurt. 😂

Engine lathe, long sleeves and a rotating high speed shaft. What could go wrong??

You learned quickly if running a lathe to at least roll up your sleeves. You also learned when polishing a shaft with emery cloth NOT to hold onto both ends of the strip cause sometimes it grabbed and sucked your thumb into the spinning work and that hurt.

Damn I bet that hurt. 😂

Engine lathe, long sleeves and a rotating high speed shaft. What could go wrong??

You learned quickly if running a lathe to at least roll up your sleeves. You also learned when polishing a shaft with emery cloth NOT to hold onto both ends of the strip cause sometimes it grabbed and sucked your thumb into the spinning work and that hurt.
Might have been worse if he was wearing a tie... 🤔 [smile]

I have a bit of experience with engine mills and Bridgeports. No Daydreaming allowed...

I can absolutely see how this could happen. Not a great design, I'll say that. Fortunately, haven't lost any fingers yet. And I make sure my 5 year old is no where near it when I move it.

Might have been worse if he was wearing a tie... 🤔 [smile]

I have a bit of experience with engine mills and Bridgeports. No Daydreaming allowed...
We had to wear hairnets in school for a reason.
Daydreaming was fine as was pounding beers at lunch but you better be paying attention to what you are doing at all times.

I ran mine in the garage with the door open and I’m still here.
I also fueled the genny and a trash pump many times while they were running.

It’s called having a clue.
OMG you spilled a cup of fuel on your driveway, call the EPA!!!

Back when my backup was a portable gasoline generator, I refuels it, while running, IN THE RAIN!!! That generator still runs.

The article said it happens when you move the generator with the handles unlocked. How and why do you move it with the handles unlocked?
I guess if I want to cut off my fingers ill have to wait to unclog the snowblower while it's running, or maybe I could play chicken with an M80.

Holy shit, I just looked and my brother in law has one of those models. The handle is awkward....but wow, to cut your fingers off with it??!!! Are people no longer taught ‘don’t put your fingers anywhere you wouldn’t put your dick?’

We are f***ing doomed!!!

Back
Top Bottom