• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gen 5 glocks

M1911a1g17

NES Member
Just curious and been thinking about this. Are there any differences between early gen 5’s and the more recent gen 5’s? Thank you.

Early gen 5 frames weren't beveled with the slide. Not a big deal but there is a small lip where the slide and frame meet. Newer gen 5s frames are beveled and look better. It's honestly cosmetic. If anything, some crazy collect will probably pay a premium for the non beveled version.

glock-gen5-fix.png

Just curious and been thinking about this. Are there any differences between early gen 5’s and the more recent gen 5’s? Thank you.

Some early gen5s don't have front cocking serrations on the slide. Some also have a mag cutout on the front of the grip that's annoying.

ETA: there's the beveled frame thing, too.

Some early gen5s don't have front cocking serrations on the slide. Some also have a mag cutout on the front of the grip that's annoying.

ETA: there's the beveled frame thing, too.

I got the gen 5 MOS cause it didn’t have the mag cutout which I can feel with my hand. Now the regular model has no cutout either.

I got the gen 5 MOS cause it didn’t have the mag cutout which I can feel with my hand. Now the regular model has no cutout either.

Honestly the mag cutout thing did not last very long at all had I waited a month or two I would have just ended up with a normal gun like my other one.

Honestly the mag cutout thing did not last very long at all had I waited a month or two I would have just ended up with a normal gun like my other one.

Glock might have already changed the base model and I didn’t know it. I think bad designs must come from upper management and nobody is willing to stick their neck out criticizing it so it makes it to production.

It’s possible but not likely. I don’t think Glock has done anything to their triggers since my first G19 back in 1990. The triggers are still just as bad. lol
Gen5 triggers are indeed different than Gen1-4. Multiple changes to the slide components as well regarding firing pin safety, etc. The Gen5 trigger is better than previous gens but still not great.

The biggest gen 5 improvement was redesigning the trigger bar spring from using extension to compression. This spring was always a weak point in the design and usually would break around 10-30k rounds. The compression design of gen 5 is more robust. It’s basically an NY1 style but even better. The non-round / newer striker safety also provides more consistent trigger pull and is unaffected by flexing or inconsistencies in the trigger bar. To me everything in the gen 5’s is a step up.

Gen5 triggers are indeed different than Gen1-4. Multiple changes to the slide components as well regarding firing pin safety, etc. The Gen5 trigger is better than previous gens but still not great.
Still not great? The Gen 5 trigger is still trash IMO. It’s like pressing a lemon squeezer that got filled with sand at the beach. If there were no aftermarket trigger solutions for Glock, I’d never buy another one. Straight up garbage.

Still not great? The Gen 5 trigger is still trash IMO. It’s like pressing a lemon squeezer that got filled with sand at the beach. If there were no aftermarket trigger solutions for Glock, I’d never buy another one. Straight up garbage.

You haven't tried an FN509 yet. [rofl]

Honestly an OEM 3.5 connector and some 2000 grit sandpaper (to smooth the striker face) cures a lot of sins.

You haven't tried an FN509 yet. [rofl]

Honestly an OEM 3.5 connector and some 2000 grit sandpaper (to smooth the striker face) cures a lot of sins.
I know and thankfully so, because I was eye balling an FN509c for a couple months when I heard you talking about the trigger with someone and it being total trash. Saved me 600.00! lol

99f2ca814e6d2fe2e22c1207ded6147b.png

(Sorry the gun in that photo has a hammer; isn't striker-fired).

The biggest gen 5 improvement was redesigning the trigger bar spring from using extension to compression.
[rofl2]

Wah, who has heard of such a thing?

The Intarwebs have yet to meet a spring
that is anything other than "under tension".

This Dan Wesson 1911 manual warns how to
safely release the "tension" on the recoil spring.

It will end all life on the planet
if the instructions are not followed to the letter.
072-Explosion+in+Space.gif

Changes I know of (one I dont see listed yet)
  • Frame bevel to match slide bevel
  • Slide front serrations (I remember when it was a "summer special" for the gen4s)
  • Magwell cutout (what a stupid design it was)
  • Extractor
The one I dont see listed is the change to the extractor. That ECO seemed to get cut in about 6 months after the release of the g19 gen5. Without it you could see the some FTE or throwing the rounds in slightly random directions. The increased the groove that grabs the rim to it fit better and became more reliable. @92G Can probably describe it in gory detail since he was the one that showed me the change when it first started showing up.

Changes I know of (one I dont see listed yet)
  • Frame bevel to match slide bevel
  • Slide front serrations (I remember when it was a "summer special" for the gen4s)
  • Magwell cutout (what a stupid design it was)
  • Extractor
The one I dont see listed is the change to the extractor. That ECO seemed to get cut in about 6 months after the release of the g19 gen5. Without it you could see the some FTE or throwing the rounds in slightly random directions. The increased the groove that grabs the rim to it fit better and became more reliable. @92G Can probably describe it in gory detail since he was the one that showed me the change when it first started showing up.
Don't forget the notch cut out by the breech that allows for better extraction.

I talked to tech support about this.

It's only on models with front serrations.

@AHM

the Glock trigger bar spring was the weakest link of their design. theres a reason why HK goes out of their way to use compression type springs for everything. Glock got the message after 30+ years.

1629845580813.jpeg

my apologies for thread derailment as these are gen 5 changes as opposed to updates after gen 5 release. As @CrackPot mentioned they incorporated a cutout in the breech to facilitate ejection Instead of the trademark brass- to- face. I’m a believer. Damn after nearly a decade I still cringe thinking about my wife’s G34 gen 4 that BTF every single round perfectly to forehead. Most insulting part is how reliable it still was.

Last edited:
Let’s see, Gen 4 = brick, Early Gen 5 = brick, Later Gen 5 = brick…

“brickiness” is a good thing

if I handed someone a perfectly round object like a dowel, there is no way to determine its point of direction. a Square is barely any better at providing directional info. Now a rectanglular object is perfect for transmitting directional information to the hand and thus to brain.

a Glock can be shot with precision in the absence of any sights or visual alignment. This is 100% a product of the grip shape that cues the brain into understanding the muzzle. its similar with a 1911. it’s for this reason I do not like rounded grips and much prefer a pistol with Some degree of grip elongation (front <-> rear) and mildly squared edges.

so yes understood many complain about the blockiness of a Glock. It’s there for a reason and does not prohibit use of the pistol even for a child.

Back
Top Bottom