Gen 4 glocks?

Its been a while since i have even held a gen 4 , and now im willing to try one. Wondering how much difference in the recoil characteristics of the new RSA.

Thinking maybe a glock 21 gen 4 could be in my future instead of the 30sf i have a love hate relationship with.

IMO its all personal preference. Personally I am partial to gen 3's. I find the grips on gen 4 provide more texture. A wet Gen3 is tough to hold, but gen 4 is still usually grippy. my experience w the dual recoil spring is that it makes no difference at least for a 9mm. In fact I have found some of the gen 4 9mm models are quite sensitive to limp wrisiting until 200-300 rds when the recoil spring chills out.

if youve never owned a Gen 4 its worth it just to experience the gen 4. Lets be serious its still a glock so you arent gonna be roo disappointed....then again even the finest Gen 4 still isnt a Sig Sauer. [smile]

What makes a brand an icon?

Building a quality production that evolves...not revolutionizing a product every few years/

There isn't a huge difference between 3's and 4's and I notice ZERO recoil difference. I have a gen 3 and 4 19, I prefer the 4th gen as it is a little better for my hand.

Its been a while since i have even held a gen 4 , and now im willing to try one. Wondering how much difference in the recoil characteristics of the new RSA.

Thinking maybe a glock 21 gen 4 could be in my future instead of the 30sf i have a love hate relationship with.

A bunch of people make hay out of it but IMHO there's not really a huge discernible difference between the two. The energy's gotta go somewhere. I think the Gen4 springs will last longer than their Gen3 counterparts, but since it's a cheap consumable not really a big difference. You should be more focused on whether or not the mag release, etc, works better for you.

-Mike

I sold one of my Gen 4's to a guy that said his Gen 3 19 was pure crap, unreliable. Asked him 2 weeks ago about the gen 4 was and he said it even shoots aluminum. Myself I liked my gen 3 grip texture better than my gen 4 but I have never had an issue with Glocks and I have had a gen 2 that I sold for 13 yrs. just not a fan of the sharp squares on the Gen 4, will I ever sell my Gen 4 26? Never

I have a g30SF and a g26 gen 4. Little different due to caliber but biggest difference for me is the ability to change the backstraps on the g26. Probably an obvious statement but what the hell.

Gen 4 30 with a brass stacker solid guide rod. Better than stock but longer barrel will be more accurate.

In god's name, why? What is so horrible with the factory part that everyone and their brothers uncle needs to buy fru-fru crap to replace it? [rofl]

-Mike

A Gen 4 will not be much different than a Gen 3 unless you get one of the bad ones that malfunction. I'm not impressed with Gen 4

In god's name, why? What is so horrible with the factory part that everyone and their brothers uncle needs to buy fru-fru crap to replace it? [rofl]

-Mike

I Guess Dr. Mike Grant has never bought rims for his car/truck, he has never replaced any stock gun parts or spent money on a fru fru crap for his "toys".

By the way if you could please use a CAPITOL "G" when speaking of your maker that would be better. Thanks!

Because I like it.

ps...have you tried a solid guide rod vs the stock?

No, but I bet it's still unnecessary. At one point a long time ago I was dumb enough to buy a tungsten guide rod for my G17L I had at the time. I think it's rolling around on my desk. I think the ISMI springs that accompany it are also floating around. I have a G34... you know what's installed in that gun? The stock OEM spring. I just think that most of these products are the biggest suckers market there is. Saw it all the time on sigforum, too. At least one guy on the forum who machined solid rods didn't charge an arm and a leg for them, and I respect him for that at least.

So what does it do? Does it make the gun easier to cycle or something? Does it last longer? (I can concede that's a pretty good selling point if it proves out well). I think in almost a decade of owning a crapload of glocks I've replaced a grand total of ONE captivated spring assembly cause it was worn out..

-Mike

Last edited:
Not going to lie, i had thought about an uncaptured guide rod and throwing in a stronger spring in the 21sf to see if it would do anything with recoil for self defense rounds.

Might still

I Guess Dr. Mike Grant has never bought rims for his car/truck, he has never replaced any stock gun parts or spent money on a fru fru crap for his "toys".

Right on one account at least, I've never bought a single rim for any of the 4 cars I owned and I probably never will on any future cars unless I destroy a rim or I have a need to have more working sets of tires. I'm not into "bling". Particularly not on something that's about the firearm equivalent of a hammer.

I just resist the urge to buy this crap whenever possible because I know most of it is worthless. I change a few things that actually make a difference, everything else stays OEM. There are so many other expenses WRT shooting that I don't have money to spend on $40 guide rods if I don't need it. I used to buy more of that kind of crap in the distant past but in the past 5-6 years or so got away from that stuff because I figured out what most of it really is.

By the way if you could please use a CAPITOL "G" when speaking of your maker that would be better. Thanks!

how about no

Last edited:
Right on one account at least, I've never bought a single rim for any of the 4 cars I owned and I probably never will on any future cars unless I destroy a rim or I have a need to have more working sets of tires. I'm not into "bling". Particularly not on something that's about the firearm equivalent of a hammer.

I just resist the urge to buy this crap whenever possible because I know most of it is worthless. I change a few things that actually make a difference, everything else stays OEM. There are so many other expenses WRT shooting that I don't have money to spend on $40 guide rods if I don't need it. I used to buy more of that kind of crap in the distant past but in the past 5-6 years or so got away from that stuff because I figured out what most of it really is.

how about no
AMEN

Not going to lie, i had thought about an uncaptured guide rod and throwing in a stronger spring in the 21sf to see if it would do anything with recoil for self defense rounds.

Save your money, the energy's gotta go somewhere, it doesn't just disappear into thin air. It might change the "way" the gun recoils a little, but the net amount of energy there is still going to be the same.

-Mike

Might still
You seem to be really recoil sensitive. Why not a Gen4 G19? Or 19c even?

Already got 2 of those :)

I can handle the 21 even with full power loads if i death grip it which is fine.

The 30sf on the other hand IS to much for me with full power loads.

Moving to fullsize only .45's for me

both are fun with powder puff loads, but that does not help me overall.

Last edited:
Already got 2 of those :)

I can handle the 21 even with full power loads if i death grip it which is fine.

The 30sf on the other hand IS to much for me with full power loads.

Moving to fullsize only .45's for me
Ok. Gotcha. I have a G30sf and a Gen3 G21c. I guess the mass of the larger G21 does make the recoil slightly more tolerable, but I've never had an issue with either. I can't even tell the difference between the ported and unported Stormlake brl I run in the 21c. (aside from the flames) lol.
Good to see you sticking with the .45. It is GODS caliber you know.

See what I did there Mike? [rofl]

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to getting a Gen 4 21 as soon as I figure out where to get one at a reasonable price. The beavertail backstrap is why I prefer the Gen 4's. I get a little rub on my hand without it.

My Gen 4 26 & 17 have run flawlessly. The only thing I changed are the sights. No polishing or extended this and that for me, just consistency and reliability.

^^^This.

I love the people who dump several hundred dollars into "go fast" parts for their pistols, then put them in front of a target and they can't have 5 shots touching at 3 yards. You can't add good shooting to your gun, spend the money on ammo and learn to shoot.

^^^This.

I love the people who dump several hundred dollars into "go fast" parts for their pistols, then put them in front of a target and they can't have 5 shots touching at 3 yards. You can't add good shooting to your gun, spend the money on ammo and learn to shoot.

False. A Salient Tier Whatever package has good shooting included.

As much as I hate to admit it Dr. Grant is right about bling on guns. I paid $70 for a Tungsten steel guide rod for my Glock 19 and it makes ZERO difference, I just felt that a plastic guide rod might not last but they obviously do. It was more for my peace of mind. On the other hand I paid $100 for the Cerakote and I don't regret it one bit.
-Mike

I'm a big fan of the Gen 4 Glocks but don't think there's any appreciable recoil dampening, save maybe for 357SIG and 10mm, where recoil levels are higher. Especially in .45, I can't imagine there's a huge difference. I like the Gen 4's for their grip and mag release.

This is correct. I do notice a bit of difference with the gen 4 32.
Not a lot though. Nothing different with the other gen 4s.

Other than that i like the grip and the mag release on the gen 4. Would never go back. All mine have been fully reliable.

The new spring seems less cheesy to but its a cheap wear part anyway. I dont believe in any fancy bling for glocks either.
Stock stuff works great and is cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the market for a full sized 45...the gen 4 glock 21 is on the list...anyone have any of the issues that Volk78 mentioned?

Who knows, I've owned 4 different G21s, (one was replaced by Glock, full gun replacement), and like a retard I sold the original 21SF I had, which out of all of them, worked the best. The one I have now is fine (21SF) but it will punish you with brass to the forehead if you limp wrist it, particularly if you are using weak ammo. The 2 Gen4s I had all worked fine, but they both gave BTFs, although the replacement gun Glock sent me was way, waaaaaay better than the original. The first 21 Gen4 I had would btf you 90% of the time regardless how good your grip was... it was that bad. I had to sell my 2nd Gen4 due to stupid reasons unrelated to the gun, and eventually picked up another G21SF. Sucks because the original G21SF I had would not BTF you at all, even with a shitty grip. I think they changed something about the way the guns eject or extract.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom