• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gen 4 Glock Laser ?

PeterC

NES Member
Hi All,

Ok, did a web search and got totally overwhelmed on choices....

Any recommendations out there on an (readily available !) add-on laser for my Gen 4 Glock 19 ? This is, mostly, my home gun so don't necesarily care about carry capability (my 26 is good for that these days)...

Thanks for any help !

P

I just put a tlr6 on a 21. Haven’t shot yet but it is compact. Bright and laser. About 135. From optics planet.it is gen 3. But can’t believe it’s much different.

Attachments

• F6E62AF5-CD01-4EA9-B9CC-2D1BA03BEE09.jpeg
    F6E62AF5-CD01-4EA9-B9CC-2D1BA03BEE09.jpeg
    655.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Olight for WML no thanks. They’re not reliable enough. The TLR-6 is tiny with 100 lumen output. Jesus my iPhone is brighter. there’s a reason they’re not very popular. the winners are streamlight TLR-1, TLR-7A or 8A if one really wants a laser. Surefire X300 are nice but not worth the cost when a TLR-1 does the same for way less.

Streamlights are hard to beat for the value to performance. I don't think they make any laser only versions, it's either light only or light/laser combo, but don't get wrapped up in high lumen counts, anything between 100 and 500 lumens is fine.

Olight for WML no thanks. They’re not reliable enough. The TLR-6 is tiny with 100 lumen output. Jesus my iPhone is brighter. there’s a reason they’re not very popular. the winners are streamlight TLR-1, TLR-7A or 8A if one really wants a laser. Surefire X300 are nice but not worth the cost when a TLR-1 does the same for way less.

My buddy bought a box of stuff from a guy. It had a new TLR-6 in it. He had no use for it so he gave it to me because he knew I had a Shield. I read the specs and said to myself 100 lumens is crap. I was curious so I installed it.

That night after it was dark I shut off the lights in the house and checked it out. I was pleasantly surprised by how much light was thrown. If you are inside the TLR-6 is a viable option. I did not go outside to try it.

Crimson Trace also has some nice options. And they’re good quality. I put their laser grips on all my tiny snubbies. They also offer decent discounts to instructors.
I would stay away from the lasers that replace your recoil spring, I wouldn’t trust their reliability.

Crimson Trace. they make one that mounts to the grip.

You can use any holster with the grip mounted ones

really nice product

the TLR-8A has laser only function. if i were sufficiently confused to need only a laser this would be the choice as the switches are actually usable. crimson trace products work great in a showroom for a month then goodbye.

olight baldr s

check eurooptic and other obvious places for deals, of course.
I second this recommendation, you have 3 options, light, green dot or light and green dot combines.

Why do you say the Baldr S is unreliable?

the TLR-8A has laser only function. if i were sufficiently confused to need only a laser this would be the choice as the switches are actually usable. crimson trace products work great in a showroom for a month then goodbye.
IMG-2542.jpg

I bought a StreamLight TLR-8AG, 500 lumen light with green laser for my home protection pistol. I really like it!

I just put a tlr6 on a 21. Haven’t shot yet but it is compact. Bright and laser. About 135. From optics planet.it is gen 3. But can’t believe it’s much different.
That’s interesting. I was under the impression that the TLR6’s were solely for non-railed compact pistols. Never saw one mounted to a full size rail gun.

I’ve had a TLR6 on my G43 for at least 7 yrs, it still works just fine for me and I’ll buy another when this one craps out. They weren’t made to be uber bright search lights and 100L in the dark is just fine for identifying friend v foe and a quick determination of what, if anything, they have in their hands that could hurt you if not immediately stopped.

Keep in mind this is on a pistol, it’s not a $1500.00 rifle mounted laser you’ll be shooting out past 50M on moving targets nor is it meant to be. It still shines in its purpose of home defense in that you can easily lock onto the dot with both sleepy blurry eyes open while looking over your sites at the dot in a ‘holy shit what was that” / “who the f*** are you” / “get down get down get down” type of loud noise/intrusion/response/event at your home while you are both half asleep and now just about drowning in the adrenaline dump and confusion that comes with it.

because its an o-light. i own several of their EDC lights and have carried an S2R baton II for past 4 years. i like their products but their electronics are glitchy and not 100%. therefore i would not use them for a WML where reliability really matters.

because its an o-light. i own several of their EDC lights and have carried an S2R baton II for past 4 years. i like their products but their electronics are glitchy and not 100%. therefore i would not use them for a WML where reliability really matters.
I bought one last March I believe, and it's attached to my night table G19. I should shoot with it more at the range to test its reliability.

Whatever light/laser you go with, if you take it to the range, be sure to clean the lense after with rubbing alcohol to get the gun powder residue off. Otherwise your high lumen light will turn into a low lumen

how long are these shots in your house that warrant a laser
Well, honestly the laser isn't exactly for me. I have a friend that is liking shooting so far but is having trouble with using iron sights (but absolutely loved the red dot on my bullseye M41 :) ). So, in order to keep the interest up I thought a laser would be helpful for range fun while she learns iron sights.

mine is just fine. i have several of those rechargeable ones, and it is simpler when it is all the same stuff that uses same charger.
rifle has one with a slightly better capacity, i think, do not recall the name.

Well, honestly the laser isn't exactly for me. I have a friend that is liking shooting so far but is having trouble with using iron sights (but absolutely loved the red dot on my bullseye M41 :) ). So, in order to keep the interest up I thought a laser would be helpful for range fun while she learns iron sights.
I like the idea of trying to keep up the interest in a new shooter, but if that is the case, you may be better off with a red dot and co-witnessed iron sights.
Lasers don’t work so well outdoors in sunlight. They are just not bright enough. Also, lasers take your focus off the sights and onto the target. That’s one of their biggest assets, but in this case it might actually hinder a new shooter.

Maybe consider a SIRT pistol to practice with and learn how to use sights, or go with a red dot mounted to co-witness. The dot can be turned on or off as needed, and the shooters focus can shift from dot to sights as they are learning.

Crimson Trace. they make one that mounts to the grip.

You can use any holster with the grip mounted ones

really nice product

how long are these shots in your house that warrant a laser
My crimson trace has had the same batter for maybe 6 years.. gunna have to change it. They aren’t really waterproof.. but mine seems to not mind getting wet.. only issue is make sure you remove lint from the laser.

Lasers are pretty worthless outside during the day..

As far as how far do you need to shoot indoors.
For home defense I’d want a flashlight and that’s where the crimson trace falls short.. If you’re going to have a weapon light you might as well have a laser… I would definitely want to light with a strobe capability… It makes a huge difference when you’re on the other end of it in close quarters it’s an advantage

this is where I am going to differ from most of the group (again)

I am a big fan of Crimson Trace grip mounted lasers , again because you don't have to try to find a holster to fit a rail mounted piece, but if this is going to be something you are going to carry and or be a night stand gun, my choice has been a rail mounted light and the grip mounted laser

When in night stand mode you can keep it in one of those cheap Uncle Mikes multi fit / universal holsters that will accommodate the light plus many OWB styles have a pouch for an extra mag.

When you want to carry IWB just pop the light off and use a good holster.

Back
Top Bottom