Gen-4 G19, one of 3 mags fails to feed only specific ammo.

sbi

Pic below shows what happens.
The other two mags (all three are the OEM 10 round magazines) are fine.

Ammo in pic is Independence HP. It happens only in this magazine and only with this ammo.

Other ammo (Tula) fed without an issue.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20170507_134615.jpg
    IMG_20170507_134615.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 275
On my gen 4 19 I had a similar issue with a 10 round factory mag I ended up just tossing it out it had trouble feeding any ammo glock mags when they are new are tough to put bullets in I can never get the 10 round in I'm guessing the spring is ****ed

Option 1)
Measure feed lips against known good magazines, modify if possible. (If unable/unwilling to, mark mag in some way to distinguish from others and only use for range trips if you are sticking with that ammo.)
Option 2)
Replace magazine with another known good.

Note: Did you try any other Independence cartridges? Maybe you got 1 with a fat case?

Last edited:
Yep, I've been reading up on everything Glock since getting interested in them and the general consensus is that the OEM Glock 10 round mags can be problematic, especially with HP.

One solution I've read is to swap out the followers with Glock "9mm3" followers, which are shaped differently from the standard 10 round followers and may help in feeding.

I have had good luck with the ETS 10 round mags. They use a follower shaped much like the "9mm3" ones and so far these mags have been perfectly reliable in my pistols.

attachment.php

I may be mistaken but "hollow points" aren't what's wrong in this case.

You can see where the extractor groove is just hanging up on the left side feed lip. I expect the same on the right...

Last edited:
Think of the Independence Ammo as a "Go / No-Go" gauge for your feed lips. Open them up just enough to accommodate this brass.
Just make sure it works fine with other brands too.

Are the mags warranteed? I've never had to use it but I've read many times that Glock has excellent customer service.

I've heard that the independence ammo is about as shitty as maxxtech which I've also seen cause malfunctions in Glocks that eat everything else without a problem.

I've heard that the independence ammo is about as shitty as maxxtech which I've also seen cause malfunctions in Glocks that eat everything else without a problem.

I don't think a shittyness in ammo can cause it in one particular magazine while passing through without any issue in the other 2 + another two G43 magazines.

Probably is a bad magazine, but on Saturday I was in a gun shop and someone else was bitching about this exact type of ammo being weak and underpowered, so this doesn't surprise me.

-Mike

well know issue is the oem 10rd follower. switch to the 9mm3 standard follower feed problems solved. this has been addressed ad nauseum on then glock forums. glock is aware of their shitty 10rd mags and they dont seem to want to fix the follower issue.

All I know is that factory G19 10rd mags are god awful dogshit, mostly thanks to the follower design, and Glock doesn't care to make them work any better.

I've never had a problem with newer 10 glock mags but I always deburr/clean up the feed lips when I get a new one.
However the two preban standard g19 mags I have often fail to feed the last round (gets hung up on the feed ramp) with all kinds of ammo (ball and hp's). I can usually clear it with a by tapping the back of the slide. Still sucks.

Then you probably have a defective mag. Call glock.

Question is - can a "defective" mag be 'selective' based on the ammo?

Probably is a bad magazine, but on Saturday I was in a gun shop and someone else was bitching about this exact type of ammo being weak and underpowered, so this doesn't surprise me.

-Mike

No round was fired, this is the first round in the mag. I did several tests, with 10 rounds in the mag, 2, 1, etc. It just didn't budge. Took the Independence out, put the Tula in and the same mag had no issues whatsoever.

As has been mentioned, swap out the followers for 9mm3. HP ammo in particular is finikey with some stock 10rd followers (plenty of examples online with a google search.) If you look at the followers side by side, you will scratch your head wondering why Glock made a special follower for the 10 rounders. If capacity concerns played a role, I think they could have easily modified the lower part of the follower, rather than messing with the top.

I have swapped out all of mine for 9mm3 and have used Independence and a number of other types of ammo without any problems. Just know that taking apart the 10 round mags is pain in the butt.

Back
Top Bottom