Gen 2 Glock 22 issues

Soundwave

NES Member
So I just sent my Glock back to them for a full refurbish and refinish. When it got back the shop put a drop in ZEV trigger. The first time I tried the slide in the store it had an issue so he took it out back and ended up putting an extended slide stop in for free. No more issue by hand.

Now today at the range the slide doesn't lock back at end of mag and has locked back once on a loaded mag. Oh I also did a drop in KKM barrel.

I know I shouldn't have messed with perfection but I was just trying to spruce up my old Gen 2 and hopefully make the .40 a little nicer to shoot. Shooting it is really but nice but recoil is still snappier than I'd like.

So basically you're telling us you put some cash outside in a small pile and ignited it? [laugh] (I laugh only because I have done this before myself, although not quite in that manner).

Been there before, but still. You're not going to be able to "beat the gay out of it" like a disapproving redneck father would want to. [laugh]

90 out of 100 times the correct answer to "I don't like my .40 cal glock" is to sell it and buy a 9mm. But you knew that already.

-Mike

My brother has two .40s and I have enough prebans it wasn't worth selling. I enjoy it but I do think I prefer 9mm out of Glocks. Next steps may be the guide rod lol but I really just want to make it reliable. It also seems like something is gouging the top left of my magazine more than it should. An extended mag release was out in as well....

What was the issue that caused you to need the extended slide release in the first place? This is probably what needs to be fixed first.

When I pulled the slide back it didn't go forward. So the slide stop was replaced after that. What else would hang the slide up and not allow it into battery? While possibly digging into a magazine.

How does a mag release get jacked up so bad the slide wont go into battery? Only the mag spring should be pushing that up, and it shouldn't be strong enough to cause it to drag

Ok going through the list

Magazine/follower, does it do this on all your mags, do you know these mags are ok in other guns?
Slide release gun runs ok without it installed i assume?
Slide release spring, can you actuate slide release freely with slide off the gun?

Slide off gun, mag inserted you should see mag release move up and down freely. With no mag inserted it should be pretty much flush with the slide rails

Somethings f***y here.

I guess if you were totally sure that everything else was OK you could grind a little off the top of your mag release, not sure how much you're out and if you can take down that much material.

Thanks for input! I love the trigger so I hope that isn't the cause. I believe it's done it with multiple mags. I'll try and take it down tomorrow and look more closely.

I feel like I've run into a similar situation after installing a Vanek trigger into my wife's competition G34. IIRC, I had somehow managed to get the spring on the slide catch to wrap behind the top pin on the frame. That said, it failed very quickly and often while initially testing on the range. Was able to quickly determine the issue & fix it.

May not be your issue, but something to look out for.

but I really just want to make it reliable.

Probably stating the obvious here...but you're going in the wrong direction...stock Glock sets the standard for reliability.

Don't get me wrong, I've poured money into some of mine as well....sometimes things get better...sometimes things get worse.

Are you comfortable working on it yourself ? Roll back to stock and change *one* thing at a time, then test.

Do you have the original parts? If so, compare and contrast, and then go from there.

Who did the work?

Guns inc. in West Springfield did the drop in trigger and extended slide release after the slide wouldn't come forward reliably. This is also after getting it back from Glock.

Is the spring on the slide release in correct location. I know my father had one that he stripped and when reassembling the slide release spring was on wrong side of pin and it wasn’t putting tension on release. If my memory serves install the top pin first than slide release into position and insert lower pin.

I was just trying to spruce up my old Gen 2 and hopefully make the .40 a little nicer to shoot. Shooting it is really but nice but recoil is still snappier than I'd like.

You are never going to get a .40 cal gun to shoot as soft as a 9mm. New barrel and trigger are certainly not going to help with snap/felt recoil. Those are more "accuracy" mods. The gun stock is far more accurate than most of us average shooters. Im in the leave then damn Glock alone camp. (minus the sights). The only reason a barrel should be swapped out is if you need a threaded barrel for a suppressor. I HATE .40, can't get comfortable with it especially in a Glock. Maybe its more mental but I can not shot the .40 as well as a 9mm or a .45

Just buy a 9mm Glock and leave it alone.

I swapped the barrel so I could shoot reloads because the older ones didn't like them I had read. Also was hoping to improve accuracy. I was just hoping to improve it over all with the trigger as well. Which was accomplished but now the slide doesn't lock back reliably. Will have it apart tonight hopefully.

after reading the OP a few times the type of malfunction remains unclear. there is no "issue" that is solved by an extended slide stop. premature slidelock is either operator error or the slide stop is incorrectly installed. in this case I don't think anyone has enough information to provide an answer.

regardless i would not dump $$ and mods into a gen 2 G22. the gun will be far better served with OEM parts. if frame battering is an issue one can swap in a heavier recoil spring although it's not necessary. with .40 S&W if you want it to shoot soft then go with 180gr loads. they're subsonic and not loaded nearly as warm as the supersonic 155 or 165gr loads. I'm no .40 S&W fan but have not yet found a 180gr load that was unpleasant like a hot 165.

there's a whole slew of 9mm pistols that were upsized to .40 S&W including the glock series. none of them are well suited for .40. there are so many issues here from insufficient slide mass, RSA's that are same as 9mm, marginal chamber support etc. If there were something wrong in my head such that I needed a striker gun in .40S&W I would go with the HK VP40 which is adequately sprung and weighted for the cartridge.

Last edited:
how do I say this without being a jerk? alright, if a professional smith installed a slide release wrong, that person is a f'n dunce. there's many good videos on YouTube showing step by step removal and installation. check one out and you can check for wrong spring placement yourself.

Let me try and be as clear as I possibly can. The gun came back from Glock with a full refurbish and refinish on slide and barrel. The shop then did a drop in trigger from Zev. I believe it was a single piece not the ultimate kit.
He hands it to me with the slide back and I rack the slide, I did not use the slide release/catch. The slide did not go into battery instead it got hung up on the slide catch. No magazine inserted. We all thought that was odd so he took it out back again. When he returned he had installed a new slide release/catch saying the factory one was causing the issue. After that I had no issue and took it to the range once without issue.
Yesterday on it's second range trip I noticed it consistently not locking back after a magazine and it locked back once in the middle of a magazine. Also it does look like something could be dragging on the upper left polymer portion of the magazine.

Yesterday on it's second range trip I noticed it consistently not locking back after a magazine and it locked back once in the middle of a magazine. Also it does look like something could be dragging on the upper left polymer portion of the magazine.

When I have had issues with the slide locking back its was the 10 round mags and those awful "special" followers. OR worn out springs in the mags. I could be wrong but this gun seems to be new to you, As far as the slide locking back mid magazine I had a similar issue. Come to find out it was my big ass hands hitting the slide stop while shooting unknowingly and the slide locking to the rear. I was on a single stack gun and my thumb was ever so slightly catching the slide lock while shooting. Once I finally figured it out it hasn't happened since.

The gun is not new to me but it is my first time at the range with an extended slide catch. So possibly that one lock back was user error. All standard capacity mags

As far as the slide locking back mid magazine I had a similar issue. Come to find out it was my big ass hands hitting the slide stop while shooting unknowingly and the slide locking to the rear. I was on a single stack gun and my thumb was ever so slightly catching the slide lock while shooting. Once I finally figured it out it hasn't happened since.

Same here.

Check you grip. Try shooting strong hand only and see if the slide lock issue occurs.

Back
Top Bottom