• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

gearing up for MA hunting seasons, could use help

Anybody have a good calendar (not the abstracts, please) with what is in season when in MA?

Also, what is the required and also desired gear? Mostly, what amounts of orange are needed when for hunting, when is camo allowed, and whatever else.

Here is my take:
Deer: full orange coat and hat
December x-y
Shotgun with buckshot or slugs

Bear: no idea what gear
Need to look up season
Shotgun or rifle?

Coyote: camo OK, night OK with .22 or shotgun
starting soon
shotgun or rifle

Pheasant: orange hat (red OK?)
when?
shotgun of course (#6 lead shot?)

Ducks:?
?
?

I used to hunt pheasant as a kid, deer just recently but not too serious yet, and want to do bear and duck but never have. Have been out for coyote, but nothing to bring home yet (they are smart bastards).

Anybody who wants to take a newbie along and be a "hunting sensei" for a day or two afield, that would be great. Anybody who wants to go out for pheasant, deer, or coyote in Central MA, let me know.

Thanks.

Umm all of this is covered in the abstracts that are avalible on the masswildlife website they this year even have a quick pdf download of all the seasons... Really massachusetts is a great place to hunt! But be smart know the laws inside and out

Mass wildlife home page has the duck info in the box on the right hand side
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/

The hunting section has a quick guide to season on the right hand side
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/hunting/hunting_home.htm

These are the e regulations basicly abstracts in a easy to use form
http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/

This may not be what you want but we have alot of laws not knowing them inside and out is just silly and unsafe..

Also just a sugestion pheasent season only requires a orange hat....I would go with alot more orange then the hat its like ww3 out there sometimes

Edit also Would be happy to take you out hunting if you are willing to take the drive to se massachussets! I am a big gun advocate but I first got into guns to hunt and now love all there's is about them but first and foremost I am a hunter..... Don't think that means I will go soft on the 2A though

Last edited:
Honestly, just read the abstracts. Not trying to be an ass, but if you're going to do this, you need to know the rules. The Environmental Police won't buy "I was told on NES" as an excuse for ignorance of the regulations.

You wouldn't try to drive a car without knowing what the rules of the road are. Did you take a current Hunters Ed class?

Start here:
http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/pageflip/
You can even search the document.

So as not to be totally useless, you need a total of 500 square inches of blaze orange for deer hunting.

ETA: Cerfur beat me to it. Good minds think alike.

I read them cover to cover every year have sence my first season hunting... You never know what they may change on you and you get jammed up! Or they change something and you miss a opertunity

Sully thanks for saying I have a good mind lol

Could you let my wife know??

Thanks so far. Of COURSE I have and read the abstracts. The only reason I mention that is there should be a nice clear calendar (you know with a grid that looks like a calendar) with what is in season. I was hoping maybe someone else out there had that. The Walmart in W. Boylston used to have a white board or something up which tells you what is in season that week.

One thing I didn't do yet is sent in my anterless tag. Is it too late? These are the types of things you need to know in advance, that people who haven't been into it long don't know or remember.

Thanks again, and keep 'em coming!

One thing I didn't do yet is sent in my anterless tag. Is it too late? These are the types of things you need to know in advance, that people who haven't been into it long don't know or remember.

It is too late for zones 1-9 & 12. There will be surplus 10,11,13,14 (13 & 14 are the islands) available over the counter and online starting a 8am on Tuesday October 9th.

Thanks so far. Of COURSE I have and read the abstracts. The only reason I mention that is there should be a nice clear calendar (you know with a grid that looks like a calendar) with what is in season. I was hoping maybe someone else out there had that. The Walmart in W. Boylston used to have a white board or something up which tells you what is in season that week.

not for nothing, but I'd not use Wallyworld as the final source for "what's in season".....[laugh]

Well yeah of course. The point was, they were the only place putting it in nice readable form. Hey, if it helps sales.

My post was mostly in jest, but I do see a danger in posting this sort of info, or relying upon it. There are some people that are less-prepared and/or less caring about the details, and relying on a non-official source can lead to trouble. If a new-ish hunter were to use only the white board, then they might screw themselves over by NOT reading the Abstracts - WMAs have different hours than other areas, etc.

Yes, the Abstracts are a bit....foncused.....at times, but at least it's a primary source. Just as I'd never go out hunting without two compasses, I'd not rely upon a transcription of stuff that an unfriendly EPO might consider significant.

If you have fifteen minutes make your own calendar go down to wally world buy a callender and some highlighters and make your own! Thay way you know you are accurate... Also if you had to ask the questions you haven't read your abstracts well enough! If you just wanted to make sure with us that's fine... But don't belive anything you here if the paperwork is in front of you! Especially in the field! I have herd sooo many stupid things from other hunters they belive is law It boggles my mind..

Such as

I cannot stress enough these are untrue!!! Just the more commen stupid things I here all the time while with hunters new and old alike!

THESE ARE NOT TRUE!

You can take 4 pheasents in a day, as long as you bring two back to your truck. Because the possession limit is 4

You can hunt deer on your own land without a hunting license and you don't have to tag them in. Buck or doe as well I have herd on this..

You can hunt with a shot gun during muzzle loader season as long as you have a primitive fire arms stamp...

And when you bring up or even show them the abstracts (smart phones are wonderfull for this)

You will often get well a "game warden" told me that and I belive him before your phone...

Don't hunt with these people!

Read the abstracts again!

What Sully said.

Read them, then re-read them. Some of the stuff is confusing. Some EPOs are humorless.

This! I posted some incorrect info the other day and MisterHappy and stixnstones set me straight. I had to go back and re-read them again just to be sure. Regulations change all the time, often without notice.

If you plan on hunting pheasant on a WMA, wear as much orange as is humanly possible. Blaze orange from head to toe and a matching jock.

The sight of 50 guys with shotguns marching up the hill at 7:04 or whenever the season opens chasing after the same handful of low-flying birds is not one you'll soon forget.

If you plan on hunting pheasant on a WMA, wear as much orange as is humanly possible. Blaze orange from head to toe and a matching jock.

The sight of 50 guys with shotguns marching up the hill at 7:04 or whenever the season opens chasing after the same handful of low-flying birds is not one you'll soon forget.

And this is why I love pheasent hunting in massachussets its not really hunting but its a whole lot of fun!!! Like ww3 out there at sunrise on a Saturday..

This! I posted some incorrect info the other day and MisterHappy and stixnstones set me straight. I had to go back and re-read them again just to be sure. Regulations change all the time, often without notice.

Actually, for once, I will say that it is with notice, as the Abstracts are printed annually, and come out well before the season(s) start. Though, I wll say, that when there is a change of language between one year and another, putting it in BOLD for 2-3 years would be a good plan. Actually, I'll bring this up at the next Worcester County League to the guy from MassWildlife. I don't know if it will do any good, but it can't hurt to highlight a change, as hunting is a "traditional" thing, and many people go with what's always been done, not what's on paper.....

I'd also like to clean up some of the vague language about what is carrying versus transporting versus possessing. It is just a mess.

If I were a representative, my first legislation would be to put a "Table of Definitions" into the MA firearms and hunting laws, to which all the other laws refer.

I'd also like to clean up some of the vague language about what is carrying versus transporting versus possessing. It is just a mess.

If I were a representative, my first legislation would be to put a "Table of Definitions" into the MA firearms and hunting laws, to which all the other laws refer.

[rofl]

Sorry....couldn't help it....the legislature clarifying laws.....

These are the "same" people that give you a "Paperwork Reduction Act Notice" disclosure statement on a separate sheet.

I guess I already missed the mail in for anterless permit, but I can still apply again, is that right?

Do I need a special tag for turkey? (I think I just read that in the abstracts). If so, where do I get that?

Why do they make you jump through so many hoops?

OK, number 7 lead shot OK for pheasant/grouse?

Who on here hunts ducks or geese? I'm interested, but have ZERO experience or knowledge there.

Anybody up for coyote hunting in central MA once we get some snow?

So many questions, so little time.

You'll need a hunting license and....

Too late for applications for antlerless deer permits July was the deadline. Any surplus permits are sold ($5) online or over-the-counter (at a Fish & Wildlife Office) starting 8am on Oct 9th. One per day per zone. Zones 10,11,13,14 will be available. (13&14 are the Islands)

Yes, you need a fall turkey tag. Available online or over the counter (at a Fish & Wildlife Office) ($5).

The hoops aren't too bad once you get a few seasons under your belt.

#7 lead is fine for pheasant although there is another thread on that: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/173870-premium-pheasent-loads

I have never hunted ducks or geese...

I've "hunted" coyote....but never gotten one except with hounds.

So, I need a turkey tag for turkey season. All set for pheasant, and need to buy some ammo for coyote.

I'll need to find someone who is more knowledgeable to take me out for ducks and geese.

I guess I'm limited to antlered deer at this point for this year. Oops.

Thanks everyone.

So, right now is pheasant, duck, coyote, squirrel, chipmunk, and archery for deer. At some point soon will be goose and turkey.

Is it only deer when you are required to wear the blaze orange? I know people wear camo for turkey and coyote.

Who would like to take a newb for duck or goose hunting somewhere within an hour or two from Worcester area?

Anybody want to get together for some pheasant or coyote hunting?

Didn't know you could hunt chipmunks :(

I'm thinking of going hunting next year I understand hunting deer. Taste so good.

What do you guys do with squirrels and coyotes after the hunt ?

Back
Top Bottom