• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gear Review: Muddy River Climbing Sticks

http://www.gomuddy.com/store/mainprod-Climbing-Sticks/477.html

445495_L1

I'm just under a month into RI's archery season, and I've been using these with a couple of fixed stands instead of my climber this year. They've been fantastic so far. This is only my second season, and I used a climber all last year. I wasn't a big fan of the climber. Some of the spots I hunt are through some nasty brush, so getting there with a climber is a pain. The other thing I don't like about climbers is that I always felt like if I moved wrong either the top half or bottom half would let go. I picked up a couple of cheaper lock on stands after the end of last season, and did a bunch of searching for what would be the best option for getting up to them over the spring/summer. After watching a bunch of youtube videos and reading a bunch of message board threads I opted to go with these. In the final round it was between these and lone wolf's climbing sticks (http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shopping/departments/climbing-sticks.aspx). The main reason I wound up going with the muddy river's was I liked the idea of having a step on both sides of the stick. They're sturdy, easy to pack up, and really easy to use. I leave my stand up in the tree with a single steel gorilla climbing stick, and I have 4 of the muddy river's that I use to get up to it. I mostly hunt public land, so I didn't want to leave a ladder hooked to the tree. I figure if somebody is willing to shimmy 20 feet up a tree to steal a $30 stand and a $15 single climbing stick section, they probably need it more than I do. YMMV, but they've been great for me so far.

Thanks for the review!

Do the sticks interlock, or remain independent sections? Also, how much do the cleats rotate?

They remain independent. The taller you are, the farther you can space them apart (and the high you can get up the tree). Are you talking about the cleat that holds the rope, or the contact point to the tree? There are 2 anchor points on each stick that rotate 70-80 degrees or so. You can run them in a straight line, or stagger them as you go up so you could go around the tree as you go up. They do interlock when you pack them up though.

Like this

SticksStacked.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom