• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gear review. Crazy Creek tarp and .....

other stuff.
I went up to Manadnock this weekend with my son and his Boy Scout Troop. We camped at a public campground in Swanzey, and it was a good test of my new tarp.

the tarp itself is lightweight nylon, and is rather big-120"x144". I wanted a longer tarp so I could have more room under it. Since I usually camp with one or both of my sons I wanted it big enough for all of us if needed.

For this trip I was sleeping in my hammock-it's a piece of Wal Mart remnant polyester cloth I tied an overhand knot in each end and wrap my rope around below the knot. I hung a mosquito net under the tarp, too, as it was rather buggy.

Friday night was OK, Saturday night it rained like crazy. My tarp didn't leak and I slept dry as could be....http://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=38

I prefer tarp camping for a few reasons...I always feel claustrophobic in tents, you can set them up in a variety of ways- tarps are very versatile. With a hammock you don't need perfect ground like you do for a tent, and around here the woods are full of trees anyway...

My tarp, hammock, and mosquito net together are smaller and lighter than my tent with all of its accoutrements, too.

Tarp in it's stuff sack with my Eagle AIII pack.......

IMG_2470.jpg

Tarp set up low to the ground....

IMG_2474.jpg

Corner tie down, stitching and reinforcement.....

IMG_2475.jpg

Little gear bags...these are shavin travel bags from Target. For $1 a piece they are sturdy and come in green and Coyote Brown....I made two into side pockets for my AIII....they are sized just right for the little Pelican case that I keep my camera in, and for mini binos and bug juice.....for in the pack they are good as organizeers. tent pegs, bungees, and even toiletries.....

IMG_2477.jpg

other stuff.
I went up to Manadnock this weekend with my son and his Boy Scout Troop. We camped at a public campground in Swanzey, and it was a good test of my new tarp.

the tarp itself is lightweight nylon, and is rather big-120"x144". I wanted a longer tarp so I could have more room under it. Since I usually camp with one or both of my sons I wanted it big enough for all of us if needed.

For this trip I was sleeping in my hammock-it's a piece of Wal Mart remnant polyester cloth I tied an overhand knot in each end and wrap my rope around below the knot. I hung a mosquito net under the tarp, too, as it was rather buggy.

Friday night was OK, Saturday night it rained like crazy. My tarp didn't leak and I slept dry as could be....http://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=38

I prefer tarp camping for a few reasons...I always feel claustrophobic in tents, you can set them up in a variety of ways- tarps are very versatile. With a hammock you don't need perfect ground like you do for a tent, and around here the woods are full of trees anyway...

My tarp, hammock, and mosquito net together are smaller and lighter than my tent with all of its accoutrements, too.

Tarp in it's stuff sack with my Eagle AIII pack.......

IMG_2470.jpg

Tarp set up low to the ground....

IMG_2474.jpg

Corner tie down, stitching and reinforcement.....

IMG_2475.jpg

Little gear bags...these are shavin travel bags from Target. For $1 a piece they are sturdy and come in green and Coyote Brown....I made two into side pockets for my AIII....they are sized just right for the little Pelican case that I keep my camera in, and for mini binos and bug juice.....for in the pack they are good as organizeers. tent pegs, bungees, and even toiletries.....

IMG_2477.jpg

And you didn't snore at all...... [smile]

Back
Top Bottom