Gas price's spike?!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So im on the way to work this morning notice gas prices at cumby's and HESS $3.69, nothing new its been around that for a week or two. So im on the way home from work and BOTH HESS and cumby's.... $3.85. So what caused this spike? I did a google search but only found "Obama's fault" There's got to be something else to it right?

Maxpower

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are switching from the late August/ early September mix to the late September / early October mix.

And El Nino.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Usually the change to winter blend results in cheaper prices. You also get slightly worse fuel economy with winter blend.

The change over date is usually Sept 15th but gas stations are allowed to use up remaining summer blend as long as their tanks last.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea it was nuts....i stopped by my grandparents house in burlington at 1130am today drove by the Hess near the high school, $3.67, same as 2 days ago, when i filled up...I thought on my way home ill top it off...well 3 hours later drove by it was up..........$3.89...........WTF

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
yea it was nuts....i stopped by my grandparents house in burlington at 1130am today drove by the Hess near the high school, $3.67, same as 2 days ago, when i filled up...I thought on my way home ill top it off...well 3 hours later drove by it was up..........$3.89...........WTF
I saw it jump 14 cents overnight Saturday, thankfully I only burn my own gas on my day off. [smile]

Wait until Granny Warren gets in, when she get those oil company tax breaks rescinded, we'll all be paying European gas prices. [sad2]

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm not defending the oil industry, but the gas supply is a little stressed right now due to the refinery fire in Venezuela.
The gas you're getting at CITGO right now may not necessarily be a CITGO product.
Irving is supplying many of their retailers in New England right now.

soloman02

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Usually the change to winter blend results in cheaper prices. You also get slightly worse fuel economy with winter blend.

The change over date is usually Sept 15th but gas stations are allowed to use up remaining summer blend as long as their tanks last.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

What is the difference between the summer and winter blend?

JuergenG

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wait until Granny Warren gets in, when she get those oil company tax breaks rescinded, we'll all be paying European gas prices. [sad2]
She'd need to raise gas taxes significantly to achieve a European price level as gas tax + VAT are the biggest portion of what we pay at the pump.
We'd be happy to pay just slightly under 4 bucks a gallon; vegetable juice a.k.a. E10 is running around $ 8.25/gal here.
The swings are crazy, too: prices sometimes change several times per day by +/- € .07 PER LITER, that's a whopping $ 0.35/gallon.

EPN

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I filled my car with 17.7 gallons of premium after work at Bjs in Northborough, $4.20

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not to hi jack, but I have a diesel and since July it has gone from 3.54 to 4.09. That is just plain rape. Less to refine and no ethanol either,

- - - Updated - - -

I saw gas north of 4$ a gallon in RI or CT today.

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Not to hi jack, but I have a diesel and since July it has gone from 3.54 to 4.09. That is just plain rape. Less to refine and no ethanol either,

- - - Updated - - -

I saw gas north of 4$ a gallon in RI or CT today.
I saw diesel jump $.20 over night in Taunton last month. I was so excited for a while because it was cheaper then mid grade for a few weeks. I wonder if it is one of those "we can't let it be cheaper then gas" kind of things.

Sir_Macadoo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   1
The gas you're getting at CITGO right now may not necessarily be a CITGO product.
In all likelihood, the gas you buy from Citgo is not from Citgo. Gas is considered fungible (consider that the next time someone says "I'll only buy Shell, it has better detergents") and the way the pipeline distribution system works, it is very unlikely you are buying the actual product associated with the sign on the gas station.

Last edited:

Sir_Macadoo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   1
What is the difference between the summer and winter blend?
Long story short, they change the blend to change the vapor pressure - so winter gas is generally more volatile than summer gas, so it can fire more readily and completley in cold conditions. There are also EPA considerations as well.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is wrong. We're all entitled to gas at reasonable prices. Someone ought to make a law!

[/sarcasm] [rolleyes]

Get over it, the gas prices will be what they will be. The lesser of two evils each election cycle will only do things to make it worse. The only improvement that could be made would be get the gov and their taxes out of the oil industry. And out of the middle east. Try building a new refinery today, chances are you wouldn't be able to.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Wait until the cost of transportation begins showing up in every thing you buy!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Speculators is right! Why does gas go up because it is a commodity... If the welathy sweater vest folks decide they want to all buy up 10 million barrels of oil this week in the futures market gas goes up.... They use a silly reason like oh billy in the middle east is mad...so I bought 10 million barrels of oil....Then when they have inflated it enough they sell it off makes lots of money on our backs.... Want to solve the problem make them take delivery of there oil.....

Top Bottom