• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

gas piston vs carbine

Okay, so I'm not with the gas system as opp to carbine. If I get an upper with a gas system, does this dictate the type of lower I need? Or does the gas system not effect the lower receiver?

If you mean an AR15, the gas piston modification would only affect the upper, nothing to do with the lower.

If you mean some other model of carbine, an M1 carbine is a gas piston already, no need to modify it :)

If you mean an AR15, the gas piston modification would only affect the upper, nothing to do with the lower.

If you mean some other model of carbine, an M1 carbine is a gas piston already, no need to modify it :)

Yeah, I was referring to the AR15, and sorry about the question, I just read what I typed and even I hardly understood it...[rofl]

The gas piston system is a great improvement, particularly when it employs an operating/recoil spring that is housed over the barrel, rather than in the buttstock. This will give you an AR that vents its operating gas into the atmoshpere, rather than into the lower reciever and a buttstock that can now be folded because it no longer houses the recoil spring.

These improvements are a major step foreward for military rifles (I'm amazed they haven't been adopted as they have been available for about 20 years) but not really necessary for civilian use. I have several ARs and wouldn't consider converting one to piston operation because it just isn't necessary; my ARs are pretty much 100% reliable as is for their intended use. I would love a folding stock, but such an improvement is frowned upon in MA.

Back
Top Bottom