gas piston upper

do any of you guys run this system with your AR? the latest magazines ive been reading on them have nothing but praise...talking about finally having an AR that you dont need to meticulously maintain and that will go through thousands of rounds without a bump...the prices for the uppers cost as much as a whole gun but hey if it works ill get one...didnt know if anyone had any first hand experience

They need something to write about or else they'll be out of jobs.Not that there is anything at all wrong with gas piston uppers but there isn't nearly as much wrong with the original AR design as many people think.

I've fired one. I wasn't real impressed with the way it hammered compared to a regular gas operated AR. It seemed kind of harsh. Not saying they aren't reliable or anything, I just didn't like the way it felt and for the price, I'd sooner buy or build another AR

Are their gas sytems ajustable? If so, maybe this one had too much pressure to the piston. I didn't pay it much attention at the range.

The gas piston upper, to paraphrase an article I read about it is: "A solution looking for a problem." Are you shooting your AR in combat conditions? Sand? Mud? Water? Are you shooting crappy ammo, I mean really crappy milsurp stuff, not even the semi-commercial milsurp that many shops are selling? If not then save your money and keep shooting your conventional AR, or better yet, buy another one.

I might step on some toes,but some devoted AR guys tend to be strange creatures and regardless of the fact that many will only shoot 300 rounds a year at paper and tin cans from 25 yards,you'll find a legion of keyboard commandos that will rattle on endlessly about why " 3rd tier" AR's are junk,why they'll only trust HK magazines and why you _need_ to have a SOPMOD stock and EOTech...Only you know how you shoot and what you want your rifle for.I find it strange that many of the same cats that go on about the need for a gas piston upper are those that go into melt-down at the idea of someone just wiping a gun down to put back in the safe ( er, or back behind the door with a Beta C-Mag loaded for the JBT's,zombies and Blue Helmets ) if you've only fired a couple hundred rounds through it and are just going to take it back out again next weekend.
I'm not against cool and trick things for the sake of them being cool and trick but I don't have to try to justify them and pretend I'm ever going to take my AR's into combat in Afghanistan or Colombia.

Are you shooting your AR in combat conditions? Sand? Mud? Water? Are you shooting crappy ammo, I mean really crappy milsurp stuff, not even the semi-commercial milsurp that many shops are selling?

negative on all accounts

If not then save your money and keep shooting your conventional AR, or better yet, buy another one.

already have 4 and counting...i just didnt know if there was any truth in the claims of not having to clean and maintain the gun as much...i love shooting my AR's just hate the time it takes to break em down and clean em after each session

Are you shooting your AR in combat conditions? Sand? Mud? Water? Are you shooting crappy ammo, I mean really crappy milsurp stuff, not even the semi-commercial milsurp that many shops are selling? If not then save your money and keep shooting your conventional AR, or better yet, buy another one.
Somehow or another, conventional M16s in the Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps continue to function just fine in those conditions too.

Back
Top Bottom