1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Gas explosions Lawrence, Andover, North Andover

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Danb3387, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

No, it is not heavier than air. LP gas is heavier

2. Coyote33

Coyote33

At least people weren't forced out into the cold.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Len-2A Training and mikelawtown like this.
  3. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

I was thinking about this last night. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if this happened in February?! Not to mention more people probably would have been inside their homes leading to more fatalities.

mikelawtown likes this.
  4. richc

richc NES Member

I fully understand the point of terrorism.

As to the rest of your conspiracy theory, I stand by my opinion. This would be way too complicated to pull off successfully It's technically complicated. There are much easier ways to cause fear and economic damage to our country.

Sometimes shit just happens.

5. robjax

robjax NES Member

So the NTSB and FBI are involved in the investigation. The FBI is there to rule out any potential acts of criminality and or terrorism. There is the possibility that the gas company was simply performing a test on the systems and it went badly. But everything needs to be looked into.

6. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

Well I probably slept an hour , I was thinking about leaving work at lunchtime to go pick up my family but I guess like 20 people called in the jobsite , must live in or around Lawrence.
    One of the homes that blew

Attached Files:

Choctaw and kalash like this.
  7. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

8. robjax

robjax NES Member

I believe that is the house where the 18 year old was killed in that SUV. When the house exploded the top of the chimney landed on the driver's side of the car. Very sad.

kalash likes this.
  9. 1903Collector

1903Collector NES Member

Make it two..LOL
    My parents live in Swansea, Shit tank and gas.

mibro likes this.
  10. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Correct, the gas mains that are now used to transport natural gas are very thick walled yellow color coded plastic. The reason plastic is used is it conforms to shifting geography without breaking or leaking and its easier to install than steel and will last much longer without deterioration. It is usually rolled off a reel that follows a trencher along its route. I've seen many miles of it being installed along various highways.

The low pressure, flexible, end user stuff used to make appliance connections is corrugated metal with a plastic covering.

Palladin and andrew1220 like this.
  11. richc

richc NES Member

News reports say the poor kid just got his license yesterday.

12. robjax

robjax NES Member

So very sad.

13. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

I wonder what the law is when they tell you to stay out of your homes do I have to leave

14. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

15. Canndo

Canndo NES Member

I just heard from my friend, who lives in Andover, that security experts are investing a computer hack.

16. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Have always had NG here at my house, but years ago the heat was on oil and hot water and stove on gas. About 25 years ago or so changed the heat over to gas and got rid of the oil. I think only 1 neighbor was also using oil, based on seeing oil deliveries. They changed over to either gas or electric as I saw their oil fill removed and plugged. Everyone here is on city sewerage and has been since well before I was born.

My Father in laws house in Woburn has city sewerage, but does not have NG. the entire street has no gas lines, they use propane for stove and oil for heat.

17. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I didn't say it WAS terrorism - I said it was a possibility.

I also don't think that if it actually was terrorism - that any agency connected to the whole incident would be honest about it. Because people would pop a gasket.

Mike Stanton and andrew1220 like this.
  18. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

From 2016, Ohio:
    Columbia Gas fined, must make changes after Upper Arlington explosion
    Utility responds after deadly gas explosions rock Massachusetts
    • LAWRENCE, Mass. -- A utility company says it will "work tirelessly to restore service" after a series of gas explosions an official described as "Armageddon" killed a teenager, injured at least 25 other people and ignited fires in at least 39 homes in three communities north of Boston. The blasts forced entire neighborhoods to evacuate as crews scrambled to fight the flames and shut off the gas.

Emergency management officials believe over-pressurized gas lines triggered the fires, but investigators have yet to reveal an official cause, CBS News' Kenneth Craig reports. Massachusetts State Police urged all residents with homes serviced by Columbia Gas in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover to evacuate, snarling traffic and causing widespread confusion as residents and local officials struggled to understand what was happening.

Early Friday, the utility issued a statement saying its crews need to visit each of the 8,600 affected customers to shut off each gas meter and conduct a safety inspection. "Additional support is being provided by crews from several affiliated Columbia Gas companies and other utilities," the statement said. "We expect this will be an extended restoration effort, and we will work tirelessly to restore service to the affected customers."

CBS Boston reports this is what we currently know about the devastating explosions:

• Leonel Rondon, 18, of Lawrence, died after a chimney crashed into his ca; at least 25 others were injured
    • 60-80 fires and 3 explosions, according to MEMA
    • The issue is related to a high pressure gas main, possibly over-pressurized
    • An estimated 8,600 gas meters in that region, served by Columbia Gas, were affected; multi-unit homes have multiple gas meters
    • Emergency crews going door-to-door to turn off gas at each home
    • The restoration process is expected to take several days or longer
    • Nearly 18,000 National Grid customers are without power in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover
    • Lawrence, Andover and North Andover leaders say there is no timeline on when residents can return
    • All roads into Lawrence are closed until further notice
    • All residents of South Lawrence, regardless of utility provider, were asked to evacuate
    • Andover residents south of Rt. 28 and Salem Street were allowed to return home early Friday
    • Power shut off to South Lawrence, parts of Andover and North Andover. This includes traffic lights
    • 38 fires extinguished in Andover alone, with 17 additional gas leaks
    • 29 homes impacted in North Andover
    • "It looked like Armageddon," said Andover Fire Chief Michael Mansfield
    • 10-alarm fire response in all 3 communities
    • Firefighters and police from across eastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire responded
    • Red Cross reception centers: Andover Senior Center and Youth Center, North Andover High School, Parthum and Arlington Schools in Lawrence, Central Catholic and St. Mary's Church in Lawrence
    • Residents in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover can call 211 for information
    • Commuter Rail service on the Haverhill line suspended beyond North Wilmington
    • All off ramps from I-495 between Exits 42-45 were closed; on ramps remained open
    • No school in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover on Friday, including Catholic schools
    • State offices in Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover are closed Friday
    • Merrimack College without power, but students are in dorms
    • Lawrence courts closed Friday
    • Department of Pipeline Safety and NTSB involved in investigation from federal level

19. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

When I moved into my house I had a septic tank - and gas service. Put this in an earlier response - but the gas is original to the house (1954) - and we didn't go off septic until 2002. So the house was on septic with gas service for something like 48 years.

20. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

I didn't realize there was that many. I guess its nocentma bias on my part. A lot of towns out here have no ng at all or very little sometimes.

21. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

It doesn't make a lot of sense - since when my house was built it was in what used to be farm land. I think a lot of the town got built out in the 50's and 60's so perhaps the gas company thought it was worth running the lines at the time and hooking people up.

The sewer is a different issue since the town is responsible for that expense, and the sewer system collects shit (literally) - that you then have to process and get rid of. Natural gas lines ship product out that you MAKE money from.

Different economic incentives.

TLB likes this.
  22. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Maybe they should use different sized pipes for different pressures so you couldn't connect the 1kpsi line to the 100psi line or the 10psi line... at least not without trying REAL hard to do it...

10thSFFD likes this.
  23. NorthShore

NorthShore NES Member

My neighborhood is gas and septic. Most oil customers made the switch to gas a few years ago when new lines were installed

24. Nikos

Nikos

Glad our hero’s in the FBI are there to keep an eye on things.

25. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Just google: Columbia gas safety violations

26. snubnose

snubnose

The 'natural' gas lines are nothing more than the *sewer* pipes of the energy sector-they both stink and they both can and do explode.

As for septic v town sewer-at least when your septic backs up you only have to deal with your own poo.

27. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

"3/4 of Lawrence exploded last night, damage is estimated to be in the 10's of dollars."

Sorry, too soon? :oops:

DPR, namedpipes, Orvanic and 5 others like this.
  28. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

Poor Mike. The hits keep coming.

mikelawtown likes this.
  29. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

They are there to monitor hard drives walking away from the computers without any supervision to prevent Las Vegas style hard drive walkout from the mass shooting scene. [rolleyes]

W.E.C likes this.
  30. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Rumor has it that a newbie did just that yesterday. Connected high pressure with a low pressure.