• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gas block pinning/barrel dimpling

snax

NES Member
Anybody know a good smith who can pin at a reasonable cost?
Anybody try one of those dimpling jigs?
Anybody have any issues with the gas block moving on a dimple setup?

Trying to do a cost/benefit here.
I have some barrels I need to get the gas blocks on.

If you're in the Lowell area, definitely go see Steve at Northeast Arms in Peabody. He can definitely do that for you. @sschevy

I have this dimpling jig that I use for BCM gas blocks. It was worth the money to me as I have assembled multiple uppers for myself and friends.

1A Pro Gas Block Dimple Jig 0.460" Centers (Vltor/BCM/Old Rainier/Fortis/Midwest Industries/SLR/Radical/Odin/CMMG)

It times off the gas port with a pointed screw and then I just run my drill press into the holes for bit, just enough to give the gas block set screws a place to ensure the block is straight. Then just stake the screws in the gas block for good measure.

Peabody is a bit of a ride. But I'll give the guy a call if I can.
Definitely worth the ride. Though Lowell to Peabody is not remotely far in my opinion - this is coming from someone who lives on the ass end of 128...[laugh]

It's not that bad of a job to diy, if you already have a drill press and decent vise. A 2/0 taper pin reamer is the only specialized tool needed.

I have this dimpling jig that I use for BCM gas blocks. It was worth the money to me as I have assembled multiple uppers for myself and friends.

1A Pro Gas Block Dimple Jig 0.460" Centers (Vltor/BCM/Old Rainier/Fortis/Midwest Industries/SLR/Radical/Odin/CMMG)

It times off the gas port with a pointed screw and then I just run my drill press into the holes for bit, just enough to give the gas block set screws a place to ensure the block is straight. Then just stake the screws in the gas block for good measure.
Where u located? Want a quick buck and some booze? I have a sacrificial 7.5 barrel to practice on too.
I may go with my own jig. I have 4 barrels to do.

If you have a cordless drill, you can dimple a barrel. The SLR jig costs $30.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/slr-gas-block-dimpling-jig.html

You'll need to know the dimple spacing (different manufacturers use different spacing), and select the appropriate holes on the jig.

Once you get the first hole dimpled (it's always under the gas port) you could even make the 2nd or 3rd dimple using the gas block itself as a guide.

https://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=579

Video:

View: https://vimeo.com/164471200

To pin the gas block you're going to need a drill press, and carbide drill bits if you have a nitrided barrel.

Last edited:
If your using set screws to secure your gas block simply line everything up, tighten your screws and range test rifle.
Then remove one screw. Take drill bit and dimple barrel through the set screw hole. Loctite the set screw and secure it. Repeat for 2nd set screw.
Pin and weld is just as easy but requires a welder and some experience to have it look good. Nothing a good set of files and fine Emory cloth cant handle. Cold blue any bare metal and carry one. Gun smith fees saved go to tools and ammo

If your using set screws to secure your gas block simply line everything up, tighten your screws and range test rifle.

That's one way to do it. And it'll save you hundreds of pesos (I guess). So there is that.

But there are actually upsides to spending the thirty bucks--especially if (like the OP) you're doing more than a couple barrels.

For instance--you aren't taking a blind guess as to where the gas port is, because the jig actually indexes on the gas port itself. By indexing on the gas port, a jig also gives you perfect setback for your gas tube, so the gas tube isn't getting tensioned (or prematurely wearing itself out getting peened by the gas key every time the bolt goes home into battery). I dunno. That's why I bought one anyway.

Plenty of ways to skin a cat, I guess.

Yup plenty of ways.... Now you just have to hope the gas port is in spec and lines up to your port and jig dimples......all fun stuff.
Dimpling has advsntage as it does not scare the barrel like cranking down the set screws does.
A few beaters i slapped together with those Sarco kits a few years back I did just that. Some harden steel set screws and some of that loctite for sealing/bonding sleeved parts.
Yup its going to be a bit of a pain if I have to take it off but for what those platforms where built for the barrel will be junk anyway if it ever comes off.

Back
Top Bottom