• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Garden Thread 2013

waiting for the white stuff to melt.

Making the dog hungry, so she'll kill the woodchucks

Making the kids practice with the air rifle, for when the dog's too lazy.

Dreaming of punji traps for Bambi

Actually planning "deer panels" to keep Bambi away from the tasty cukes, as the fences are inadequate, and the f'ing things are fearless.

Looking in the trash for old hoses, to upgrade my drip irrigation systems.

In short....not much, yet!

Researching growing potatoes in a barrel.

(Suggestions welcome.)

I haven't read anything definitive about any possible negative effects of using a black plastic 55 gallon drum (my current candidate).

Looking for ideas for a short-amount-of-daylight area for other foods.

Started Broccoli, Cauli., and herbs inside a couple weeks ago. They're all sprouting well. Next in line is peppers, eggplant, and cukes in a few weeks.

2013 garden loadout:
Broc (4 green /4 purple)
Cauli x 8
Peppers: green x 6, hot x 4 and pepperoncini x 2
Eggplant x 6
Cukes(pickling) x 4
Pole beans x 100
Patch of Peas (~50 plants)

Potter loadout
Parsley x 2
Sage
Basil x 2
Dill
Scallions
Thyme
Rosemary

I'm doing the raised/square foot thing again. Might put my drip line under ground. Gutta round up stakes for peas/beans. Need cow poop. I'm only feeding myself and leftovers go to family/neighbors. Also thinking of trying dehydration of things that are ready in big batches. Tips and tricks are welcome....

I've given up trying to start shit in doors.. too much hassle and wind always manages to destroy a green house. Everything is going direct sow this year.

My tomato plants that were direct sewn bared more fruit, faster and bigger, than ones that were already 8 weeks old. Same for the cukes and squashes.

Re-configuring the layout this year too. Need to re-up with one of those garden planning sites.

I made this last year and it was pretty popular, for those who didn't see it or save it:

PDF

(Suggestions welcome.)

I haven't read anything definitive about any possible negative effects of using a black plastic 55 gallon drum (my current candidate).

I did so in a white 55 gal.. barrel uncut. Not sure if the black will get too hot in the sun.... may want to paint it white.

The problem you will have is that light won't get down to the bottom for the leaves. Consider cutting the barrel in quarters or 5ths, and stacking the sections as you fill... use a couple stakes to hold them in place.

Looking forward to it.

Set up a small 'square foot garden' last year that uses 1/3 Peat moss, 1/3 compost and 1/3 vermiculate in above ground boxes - wasn't really convinced so wanted to try it and see what kind of yield it would produce.

It did much better than I would have thought, with fantastic yields of tomatoes, cucumbers and beans

Will look to expand it this year significantly to add some more veggies.

Anybody else use a square-foot garden?
Square Foot Gardening

I've given up trying to start shit in doors.. too much hassle and wind always manages to destroy a green house. Everything is going direct sow this year.

My tomato plants that were direct sewn bared more fruit, faster and bigger, than ones that were already 8 weeks old. Same for the cukes and squashes.

Re-configuring the layout this year too. Need to re-up with one of those garden planning sites.

I made this last year and it was pretty popular, for those who didn't see it or save it:

PDF

Thank you for sharing!
How far from the coast are you?
I can still get tomato killing temps into the first week of june.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

All I grow is rhubarb. Well, as a perennial it grows itself.

I haven't been able to grow rhubarb. It always dies.

(Suggestions welcome.)

I grow potatoes in an old plastic garbage can and also in really large rubbermaid containers. Just make sure you have enough drain holes in the containers and water them evenly, adding soil as he plants grow.

We don't have a lot of light at our place. This year I only bought seeds that had minimal time to harvest. On of the tomato seeds I ordered should be ready in 49-59 days. I'm trying to work around our cool weather and short season this year.

I ordered my seeds the other day. Well, everything but the potatoes. I'm growing peas, lettuce, 3 types of tomatoes, brussels sprouts, two types of beets.

I have a lot of work to do on the garden this year. I want to put a border around it to define where the lawn stops for the landscaper and a fence to keep out some of the critters.

Thank you for sharing!
How far from the coast are you?
I can still get tomato killing temps into the first week of june.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Probably 10 miles as the crow flies. Our direct sew tomatoes we dropped in around june 5th last year and had fruit by the first week of august.

Mostly just in "thinking mode" so far. Veges: decided no yellow squash or broccoli this year, more zucchini, celery, spinach instead. Undecided on tomatoes (they're easy, but I don't care much for eating them). Might try garlic and kale. Peppers: no apaches this year, and cutting back to just a couple habaneros, cayennes, jalapenos. Considering indoor mushroom cultivation as well.

I did so in a white 55 gal.. barrel uncut. Not sure if the black will get too hot in the sun.... may want to paint it white.

Ah, yes.

The problem you will have is that light won't get down to the bottom for the leaves. Consider cutting the barrel in quarters or 5ths, and stacking the sections as you fill... use a couple stakes to hold them in place.

Perfect. Thanks.

Mostly just in "thinking mode" so far. Veges: decided no yellow squash or broccoli this year, more zucchini, celery, spinach instead. Undecided on tomatoes (they're easy, but I don't care much for eating them). Might try garlic and kale. Peppers: no apaches this year, and cutting back to just a couple habaneros, cayennes, jalapenos. Considering indoor mushroom cultivation as well.

Garlic gets planted in the fall and then you harvest it the next summer. Not sure if you knew that. They have the bulbs for planting at the stores in the spring for some reason. For the first 2 years I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then I looked it up. The last 2 years it's been super easy.

Garlic gets planted in the fall and then you harvest it the next summer. Not sure if you knew that. They have the bulbs for planting at the stores in the spring for some reason. For the first 2 years I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then I looked it up. The last 2 years it's been super easy.
Garlic can be grown in spring, but it's got to be early, like Feb/Mar (I need to get a move on!) No need for bulbs, you can just plant a single clove. It won't give me as much of a harvest in the fall, but will get me some until I can plant whole bulbs before the fall frost and be booming next spring.

Last edited:
Garlic can be grown in spring, but it's got to be early, like Feb/Mar (I need to get a move on!) No need for bulbs, you can just plant a single clove. It won't give me as much of a harvest in the fall, but will get me some until I can plant whole bulbs before the fall frost and be booming next spring.

Thata's good to know if we ever have an early spring and the ground thaws out! :). I guess I used "bulb's" because that's where they put them at the store. The past 2 years I just use some of the bigger cloves from the last harvest.

Some fun info for those who want it...
List of companion plants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Plant this plant with this plant with these plants as a border to keep out pest x, pest y, and deter animals a, b, and c from munching on your veggies!" ...good stuff to have in your arsenal. I wish I wasn't moving, or my garden would be a much better thing this year.

Is anyone doing berry bushes? Could use some pointers on raspberries and blueberries. Also, if anyone wants strawberries, the garden at my place has them growing like an invasive species. Veritable carpet of red berries in the summer, and they are already starting to go green again for this year.

Some fun info for those who want it...
List of companion plants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Plant this plant with this plant with these plants as a border to keep out pest x, pest y, and deter animals a, b, and c from munching on your veggies!" ...good stuff to have in your arsenal. I wish I wasn't moving, or my garden would be a much better thing this year.

Is anyone doing berry bushes? Could use some pointers on raspberries and blueberries. Also, if anyone wants strawberries, the garden at my place has them growing like an invasive species. Veritable carpet of red berries in the summer, and they are already starting to go green again for this year.

I've used companion planting the past 2 years and feel like it has helped the garden.

I also have an ongoing edible landscape project with both. Raspberries are easy. Put them some place out of the way where they get a decent amount of light and they will do great with little work. Blueberries like a more acidic type of soil and plenty of water but they are also easy.

I haven't been able to grow rhubarb. It always dies.

My experience has been that rhubarb needs full sun here in NE. water 1-2 times per week or if leaves start to curl. We potted ours and brought it to NH with us. Will be interesting to see how it does.

We've been thinking of starting a raise bed for veggies. Currently scouting 2 locations for amount of sun.

My wife and I decided to start looking into starting a veggie garden this year. The Square Foot book and another book should be delivered via Brown Santa today. Hopefully it won't be a disaster (wife and I don't have a good track record of keeping plants alive [laugh])

My experience has been that rhubarb needs full sun here in NE. water 1-2 times per week or if leaves start to curl. We potted ours and brought it to NH with us. Will be interesting to see how it does.

We've been thinking of starting a raise bed for veggies. Currently scouting 2 locations for amount of sun.

Thanks. I've tried different locations. Watering more, less and in between. I'm starting to wonder if voles are eating the root stock??

One thing on the raised beds. Depending on where you are they need a lot more water. If you're in an area with poor drainage they work well and they are nice looking. The few raised areas I have need twice the water as the main garden.

Thanks. I've tried different locations. Watering more, less and in between. I'm starting to wonder if voles are eating the root stock??

One thing on the raised beds. Depending on where you are they need a lot more water. If you're in an area with poor drainage they work well and they are nice looking. The few raised areas I have need twice the water as the main garden.

Thanks for the tip and good luck with the rhubarb. We found a great rhubarb bread recipe. :)

Thata's good to know if we ever have an early spring and the ground thaws out! :). I guess I used "bulb's" because that's where they put them at the store. The past 2 years I just use some of the bigger cloves from the last harvest.
Planting from your existing food/food scraps is awesome. You can also plant the celery ends to grow new bunches (I've heard bok choy works as well, but I haven't tried it yet.) You can also plant the ends of scallions and leeks for new plants. I've heard that carrot tops work if you suspend them in water like avaocado seeds, then plant once they have some root growth.

Just picked up some pallets to use as a raised bed.

Last year was our first garden at our new house. Definitely going to have to till again.

Planting:
Zucchini
Cucumber
Strawberries
Roma Tomatoes
Cherry Tomatoes
Egplant
Broccoli
Green Beans
2012-03-21_16-36-04_620.jpg

Picture is from last year after I did the tilling & setup 1 raised bed within the 10' x 12' area.
This year I have to take down 2-4 trees for more morning sunlight.

Grapes (2-years old)
Blue Berries (1 year old)

Sounds like me.

Don't care for Tomatoes that much, and growing pretty ones is difficult.

I believe Cayenne, Ecuador Lemon Hot Peppers (my favorite), Cilantro and Basil will be all this season.

Ah, yes.

Perfect. Thanks.

I'd stick with the Black Barrel unless it PROVES to be too hot. This is New England, after all.

The extra heat will be useful in the Spring and Fall.

Back
Top Bottom