Garden ammo?

Any local history in the area? Business,manufacturing? How about local historian? I would rent a,nice metal detector and sweep the area. Might find more cool stuff.

Classic application for "google image search" - "antique plumb bobs" turns up LOTS of pictures of peoples' collections.
While it does not match your example, I thought the one on the right was compelling! [rofl]

Lol I want that last one... I don't think my company will like me using it though...

So there's no "what's this app?" Would be cool just put object into view and bingo .....you got xxx

Going to try electrolysis...let's see what happens

faf6ee64b071f59ea17605759902396c.jpg

39fbe82ad01eff3d145dc3aedf44f1f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I think the electrolysis was a sucess. It definitely has the shape of a 20x138mm, but it is entirely made of steel.

Someone put a screw into the primer pocket. Maybe they used it as a plumbob as some have suggested.

4cbb4c7309f4e33070b34fef6fdb0e31.jpg

fffb51ddf6bea2318cf4b13183eb364b.jpg

308b7f700722def8a5486aa443b49087.jpg

My best guess by shape and google is a "German Inert WW2 20mm Flak DUMMY Round"
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4254
Item1112.JPG

Or a German Inert WW2 20mm Flak API-T Round
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4252&idcategory=71
Item1110.JPG

Last edited:
This is a German 20x138B Rheinmetall "Dichtungspatrone" of the navy for use in submarines. A chamber plug for guns installed on submarines. These were heavily greased and then inserted into the chamber of the gun and remained there as long as the weapon was not used and in particular when submerged. These "plugs" were supposed to prevent corrosion of the chamber and sowith a rough (corroded) surface of the same. Otherwise cases would not be extracted properly during firing or might even been torn apart while in the chamber. All that during an air attack on a emerged submarine whould result in a catastropy.

These "plugs" existed also in 30x211 MK303 and in 37x250R C/36.

Above info is from a Google search and is just a guess.

This is a German 20x138B Rheinmetall "Dichtungspatrone" of the navy for use in submarines. A chamber plug for guns installed on submarines. These were heavily greased and then inserted into the chamber of the gun and remained there as long as the weapon was not used and in particular when submerged. These "plugs" were supposed to prevent corrosion of the chamber and sowith a rough (corroded) surface of the same. Otherwise cases would not be extracted properly during firing or might even been torn apart while in the chamber. All that during an air attack on a emerged submarine whould result in a catastropy.

Seems to be the best explanation so far!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP should rent a backhoe... there could be a whole damn U-boat buried in his backyard

Back
Top Bottom