Garden ammo?

So the wife is digging up the garden area, getting ready for spring and found something interesting.

It looks to be almost the exact same size as a 20mm shell I have. (In the pictures below)

The primer seems to be sticking out the back about half an inch and it's corroded so badly I can't see a difference between the case and bullet.

Not something she was expecting to find...

fca6832d26124fad2cece882fd8cde11.jpg

1a7eb6c93c6fff7acd58f6a13fb076f9.jpg

df35f8d1cda3b842405d738ceceb1dad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If that is a shell and not a bigass plumbob, it's a 20×138mm belted antitank round from WW2. Probably a training round or dummy 'cause it's all steel. Dunno what that thing is sticking out where the primer should be.

I looked up some sites that showed German aircraft 20 mm ammo . . . Could be one of theirs ? (Brought back by a vet ?) Their ammo showed a large gap at the back end very similar to yours . My 2 cents

Try inert-ord.net

Last edited:
If that is a shell and not a bigass plumbob, it's a 20×138mm belted antitank round from WW2. Probably a training round or dummy 'cause it's all steel. Dunno what that thing is sticking out where the primer should be.

maybe someone used a 20x138mm belted antitank round as a plumb bob? [smile]

It isn't solid steel, when you shake it, you hear something inside moving around (like sand or powder).

Plant it back in the garden. Maybe it'll grow an ammo plant!!
Pick em early and they're .22s. Wait till the end of the season they're 50 cals!
Don't forget to save seeds for next year

Classic application for "google image search" - "antique plumb bobs" turns up LOTS of pictures of peoples' collections.
While it does not match your example, I thought the one on the right was compelling! [rofl]

attachment.php

Attachments

• plumbbobs.jpg
    plumbbobs.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 263
Put it in a vice,and hit the primer looking thing with a hammer.If it goes off then you will know what it is.

Back
Top Bottom