• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Garands what to look for/stay away from

usp45ct

NES Member
Looking at garlands. What should I look for or stay away from. My deceased father carried a SA Garand in WWII as a Marine in some pretty dirty fighting in the Pacific. Went from E3 to E6 in about 4 hours is what I heard after his death.

Anyhow, what should i look for or stay away from. It will be shot and not a safe queen but I do want a WWII era SA Garand.

Any help appreciated.

CMP specials are usually a safe bet if you're looking for a good shooter.
New stock and barrel, all parts reparked.

Watch out for cracked receivers at the heel. I've seen more than one for sale over the years, usually at gun stores where the owner legitimately has no idea he has a seriously damaged firearm on his hands.

Also look for overly bent op rods from people previously shooting too hot or heavy commercial loads out the rifle. Op rods are supposed to have a slight bend; just do some research first so you can tell the difference.

Another vote for the CMP also.

Right now it's going to be rough out there.
Your for the most part going to pay double of what cmp offers. CMP will have more up for sale in the near future if you can wait
If your looking for a shooter try finding a M1 with cmp papers. This will at least have a degree of what grade rifle it is.

If it's a shooter your looking for a good crown is a must. Bring a bore lite and magnify glass.

Other than some very clear problems the majority of issues with the M1 won't show their face with out a detailed inspection and some measuring.

You can try the cmp auction although things are fetching some crazy prices. There are a few here on the NES classifieds also.

I am looking as well. It seems I waited too long. http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
Knowing very little about these rifles, I thought buying through the CMP would be my safest bet. Maybe I will try their auctions.

I don't know about CMP auctions in particular but from what I have seen in other auction venues you had better have deep pockets. The people who seem to frequent these events seem to have more money than common sense and tend to raise the bids to very high levels. If you HAVE to have a particular item it might be the way to go but I am afraid that the day of cheap (under a grand) Garands is pretty much over.

Could always make an account over on the CMP forums and post a WTB ad. You'll be flooded with offers and there are many good sellers over there. Though not having a C&R means those sellers need to ship to a dealer, rather than directly to your house.

Also going to CMP matches seeing guns first hand and talking with the guys who already have them is not a bad idea either.

Don't be afraid to go to CMP matches at clubs The are intended to get new shooters shooting! Now Go!

Both clubs( CMP shoots/matches) I frequent have at least 2 very experienced US small arms shooters that can give you the skinny.

Safest thing for a new garand owner is if you find one have it looked at by someone familiar with them. There are some dimensions that are important to the working of the piece. Gauges and tools that most people don't have can reveal an issue not readily seen by eye. And if you do find a problem most of the time its an easy fix that can be a way to get a better price.

CMP is running a New England Games in VT in September. In addition to training and matches, they'll have some of their rifles for sale. Probably the best/quickest way to get a quality Garand, especially when they've got a hold on the online/mail sales.

Worn out barrels. Pay careful attention to the rifling and make sure it's not worn away. Also barrel gauges are helpful, but for the muzzle end you can, if permitted, use a 30-06 round to see. There should be at least 1/8" to 1/4" of pullet showing between the barrel and cartridge case. If the muzzle is worn it affects accuracy so look for out of round and nicks as well.

CMP is running a New England Games in VT in September. In addition to training and matches, they'll have some of their rifles for sale. Probably the best/quickest way to get a quality Garand, especially when they've got a hold on the online/mail sales.

IF you plan to go this route I would get there day one early im sure there will be several buyers there bright and early. IF they have any rifles

Safest thing for a new garand owner is if you find one have it looked at by someone familiar with them. There are some dimensions that are important to the working of the piece. Gauges and tools that most people don't have can reveal an issue not readily seen by eye. And if you do find a problem most of the time its an easy fix that can be a way to get a better price.

Finding even gun smiths with the proper gauges will be tougher than you think. Noahs motors in saugus will have them for sure.
I dont have a timing Guage or a gas cylinder gauge... the Muzzle wear and Throat Erossion guage will really only point out a very worn barrel. I have a 1942 SA with 1942 barrel guages 3 and 3 and shoots as well as my 1956 HRA with 1 and 1.
With a small maginify glass you can spot a worn croen/muzzle quickly.
Simple put your looking for a shooter buy a shooter stay away from the guns with stories and any high tags... looks like 1400 is about what a CMP service grade in the wild is going for these days.

Do the op rod slide test if they'll let you. Bent op rod's are expensive to replace

this might help but I have a bent op rod in a field grade that will pass a tilt test....it will jump out of the track every few rounds though.

Go to a cmp shoot or match and check out shooters guns. You will get a idea of what a decent shape rifle looks like. Its one of those guns that if you pick it up and your gut says its rough or beat up it most likely is..... If at all possible buy with a 3 day inspection period and have a know gun smith that knows M1s...

There are some top notch gunsmith out there that work on Garands. If you do make a mistake the rifle is so popular and so many parts that you can get it fixed. Recently sent my old beater to a fellow that tuned and tweaked and timed it into a real good shooter. One of the very best rifles ever made so don't be afraid to buy one.

Take pictures before you buy and show them to the fellows who know everything about them, there is a lot of good help out there.

Just becuase a op rod does not pass the tilt test it does not mean there is anything wrong with it!
People put way to much emphasis on the tilt test. It isused ONLY to diagnose function problems, short stroking etc. If you passed up every rifle that failed the test you would pass up alot of good rifled

Finding even gun smiths with the proper gauges will be tougher than you think. Noahs motors in saugus will have them for sure.
I dont have a timing Guage or a gas cylinder gauge... the Muzzle wear and Throat Erossion guage will really only point out a very worn barrel. I have a 1942 SA with 1942 barrel guages 3 and 3 and shoots as well as my 1956 HRA with 1 and 1.
Simple put your looking for a shooter buy a shooter stay away from the guns with stories and any high tags... looks like 1400 is about what a CMP service grade in the wild is going for these days.

Holy crap, for real? I got mine from CMP in 2014 with two ammo boxes full of Greek 30 cal for less than $750, with guaranteed bore and rifling, delivered to the door. Guess I should have bought two. Damn.

With your military background you would have no problem becoming a CMP member. Join the Garand Collectors Association and then tackle the paperwork they want to make sure you qualify to be in the CMP. I actually drove to Alabama from Mass so I could take a good look at the rack grades they were offering. There were a ton of empty rack slots.....and I was not happy with condition of most field grades. I took the jump and moved up to a CMP Special. The new Criterion barrel, wood stock and almost new interior components for a great price of $1050. She is a shooter, a 1954 Springfield Armory. The greatest part is that the CMP doesn't just throw an unsafe M1 into the racks. They do replace parts. My special came with 100 percent SA parts. No bent op rods. It is worth the drive down, not to mention the nice ammo I got to by while there. If that is too long of a drive, visit the Camp Perry CMP store, same great M1's. They are offering mostly newer Garands now...my generation of the fifties. You will pay more for a WWII rifle. So, tough decision, do you want a shooter or a piece of history. Its tough. I gave in to the fun of shooting. Good luck. A truly fun rifle to shoot.

With your military background you would have no problem becoming a CMP member. Join the Garand Collectors Association and then tackle the paperwork they want to make sure you qualify to be in the CMP. I actually drove to Alabama from Mass so I could take a good look at the rack grades they were offering. There were a ton of empty rack slots.....and I was not happy with condition of most field grades. I took the jump and moved up to a CMP Special. The new Criterion barrel, wood stock and almost new interior components for a great price of $1050. She is a shooter, a 1954 Springfield Armory. The greatest part is that the CMP doesn't just throw an unsafe M1 into the racks. They do replace parts. My special came with 100 percent SA parts. No bent op rods. It is worth the drive down, not to mention the nice ammo I got to by while there. If that is too long of a drive, visit the Camp Perry CMP store, same great M1's. They are offering mostly newer Garands now...my generation of the fifties. You will pay more for a WWII rifle. So, tough decision, do you want a shooter or a piece of history. Its tough. I gave in to the fun of shooting. Good luck. A truly fun rifle to shoot.

The shelves are pretty bare.... might want to check the store reports on cmp forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy crap, for real? I got mine from CMP in 2014 with two ammo boxes full of Greek 30 cal for less than $750, with guaranteed bore and rifling, delivered to the door. Guess I should have bought two. Damn.

What did you get? That's really cheap.... didn't think they had any rack grades for mail order in 2014?

Wow- the prices the collectable receivers are going for on CMP auctions!

My Grandfather carried a Garand in the Philippines with the 32nd Red Arrow Division. I think the 32nd has the record for most days in combat at 654 in WWII, and was the division known as Les Terribles in WWI. Anyway, according to Gramps his boots rotted out a couple times but the Garand never let him down. Originally, as SSgt. he was issued a BAR but found it too cumbersome in the jungles and mountains so he swapped it for the Garand. My CMP Special has a receiver that was made at the same time as the Battle of Leyte was happening, so it's a somber reminder of what my Grandfather was doing during that time.

Kicking my self for not picking up an extra Field Grade, but extremely happy with the Special. It's capable of winning a JC Garand match, though I'm not quite there, LOL.

Last edited:
You also should check your gauges. I have a buddy that got a CMP gauge that he measured with his calipers and found it to be one measurement off (1 should have been 0, and so forth).

You also should check your gauges. I have a buddy that got a CMP gauge that he measured with his calipers and found it to be one measurement off (1 should have been 0, and so forth).

Very true to check any gauges. Although I would have to look in my over haul manual to see if they actual list the specs for the guae itself. I know they give the gas cylinder gauge specs but I dont recall see them for the muzzle and throat errosion gauges.

Its amazing how worn a M1 can be and still function and deliver USGI accuracy.... and again many times those guage readings have no bearing on accuracy.
Some rifles just shoot better than others even with a wide range of readings. Remember it was not un heard of for new barrels to guage 2 and 2 sometimes more. Remember the military had a MAX before the barrel was considered end of useful life.

Last edited:
Service grade. I had to go back and double check to make sure I remembered correctly when I saw today's prices. Here's a article from 2014 that gives the CMP prices back then ($525 for service grade if you bought it in person [shocked]).

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/07/31/buying-m1-garand-cmp/

thats 525 for a field grade service grades where 630 plus shipping then the price jump to 730$ shipped not long after. 2014 200 loose was about 58 cents per round I believe?
anyhow cheaper then and prices will only go up. Buy HXP now while its still 60ish cents per round before its sold out also. If you do not reload and like to shoot your M! get your 10 case limit now....im sure soon it will be a 5 case limit....300 million rounds only ast so long.

thats 525 for a field grade service grades where 630 plus shipping then the price jump to 730$ shipped not long after. 2014 200 loose was about 58 cents per round I believe?
anyhow cheaper then and prices will only go up. Buy HXP now while its still 60ish cents per round before its sold out also. If you do not reload and like to shoot your M! get your 10 case limit now....im sure soon it will be a 5 case limit....300 million rounds only ast so long.

Well the article says $525 for service grade in 2014 if you bought in person, which I didn't, but that's all water under the bridge at this point. Regarding the ammo--based on this thread I've decided to stock up on some more HXP. The 192 rd spam cans, which come with clips pre-loaded in bandoliers, are 60 cents per round. The loose ammo in the ammo cans is 68 cents per round. I don't understand that. Are they charging for the ammo cans? I would think the clips and bandoliers would add some value too.

Well the article says $525 for service grade in 2014 if you bought in person, which I didn't, but that's all water under the bridge at this point. Regarding the ammo--based on this thread I've decided to stock up on some more HXP. The 192 rd spam cans, which come with clips pre-loaded in bandoliers, are 60 cents per round. The loose ammo in the ammo cans is 68 cents per round. I don't understand that. Are they charging for the ammo cans? I would think the clips and bandoliers would add some value too.
If I remember correctly it was the difference in the size of the container or some other BS plus they had to "sort" and pack all that loose stuff in house.
Anyhow buy while you can... the 192 cans are a deal...you can unload the bandoleers and clips for 10-15$ each and recoup some cash. not to mention theres always someone willing to buy the brass.

Down my club its easy to sell the brass 10 cents is about what these guys will pay but you can get more in the right place.
I have a buyer for my bandoleers he gives me 7$ each I think he flips them on ebay or gun shows ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom