Garand or SKS?

Don't forget to save your once-fired brass for reloading. Or get them over to someone who does! By the way, can anyone comment on accuracy of .308 Garand vs 30-06? Consensus is that the .308 has less recoil, but I'm interested to see if accuracy is better too . . . .
Not very scientific but i shoot better scores with my 308 garand than my 06 both with new Criterion barrels , fitted wood, trigger job and the best fitting parts I had on hand. 168 gn bullets Varget Powder
On really good days from prone supported I can sneak down to 1.5 MOA with both. Average for prone unsupported is 3 moa ish

7.62Nat o vs M2 ball is about 3lbs or so in recoil energy difference . i think the accuracy comes out of the different accuracy nodes cr eated with the different recoil impulse ? Just a guess.
I asked a old timer once who worked for the US gov as a engineer and he said sometimes stuff just is.
Then he always adds stuff like this. "308" might be more accurate than " 06" but i will take M2 ball bullets over 7 .62 Nato bullets. AnD his play on words. Notice he said bullets and not a specific cartridge ......

Last edited:

'shoot little more accurate than an AK' - for it to shoot accurate you need somebody to hand pick one with a good barrel out of the whole batch. as with all mass production items some were really good while majority was, well, crappy. with mine i could shoot a neck of the duck from 50 meters, but it was a good sample.

accuracy of the 6.5CM bergara i got now is on the whole different level. 20" larue also got a very good barrel. if i could get an SKS for $200 as it used to be - it would be a no-brainer, just to be able to plink 7.62 ammo, but, at current prices it lost any practical reason to own.

YouTube Video dated June 17, 2021 (less than a month ago) showing Atlantic Firearms sorting, inspecting and getting ChiCom SKS's (Type 56) ready for sale...

YouTube Video dated June 17, 2021 (less than a month ago) showing Atlantic Firearms sorting, inspecting and getting ChiCom SKS's (Type 56) ready for sale...

Loved to see the import stamps, are they the older style or the newer billboard style.
Would not surprise me if these are old inventory they decided to move out?

Loved to see the import stamps, are they the older style or the newer billboard style.
From what I've read, these are ChiComs that were sent over to Eastern Europe as aid...

They look A LOT like the ones Classic Firearms had last year. Right down to the crate boxing and 1x1 fir spacing wood...

~Enbloc

What's the going rate for an sks these days? So far out of the loop, I haven't bothered to buy anything or even window shop in years now.
This isn’t quite what you’re asking, but I traded into a sino-Soviet about 11 months ago in exchange for a run-of-the-mill Smith & Wesson model 36, blued. The SKS has a graffiti’d stock, but it‘s original.

So $450 in trade? Both of us were happy.

What's the going rate for an sks these days? So far out of the loop, I haven't bothered to buy anything or even window shop in years now.
$400 to $600 for Chicom Type 56 (very clean Norincos seem to be getting the most, and certain rare arsenals/factories) , More to MUCH more for Russian etc.

Chinese SKS Type 56 ID FAQ

Last edited:
Wow, I may have to dig mine out and maybe get rid of one. Again, haven't used them in years either. I have a Russian, Chinese and a Yugo, the Yugo was one of the easy to get covered in cosmo ones that seemed so plentiful some years back. I spent some time on that one making her all pretty again with the stock wood.

I used to peruse the NES "SKS Questions & Possible Answers" thread in Mil Surp Collectors Sub-forum from time to time, but it has gotten dusty lately...

SKS questions and possible answers (authored by @SKS Ray )

Some great SKS info there from some really great and knowledgeable folks...

Last edited:
Palmetto State Arms has some spikers in stock...
I, know...PSA [thinking]

https://palmettostatearmory.com/chi...-military-surplus-rifle-w-spiker-bayonet.html

FEATURES​

This is a new shipment received on 5-10-2021 and is one of the best quality batches we have ever received!
These are authentic Vietnam Era Military Surplus Chinese Type 56 SKS rifles, manufactured at the #26 Jianshe Arsenal factory. This lot of rifles was stored in a neutral country for the last 20 years, so they are able to be imported and available to the public now! Unique, battle-worn characteristics define this classic SKS rifle as they have everything from wear marks, scars, and even some have amazing trench art etched into the wooden stock. These rifles were stored with heavy amounts of cosmoline in order to protect them from rust and other environmental factors over the decades. The rifles come complete with spiker-style bayonets, a ten-round box magazine, and adjustable iron sights.
These rifles will vary in condition. The image above represents a range of conditions that are common for these military turn-in SKS rifles. Each rifle is going to be sold as-is and we are not offering hand-picked selections for purchases. All rifles are complete and fully functional but will need to be cleaned thoroughly prior to usage.
In regards to the varying condition of the stocks, we have found some with just minor scratches and dings and others with dents, gouges, and cracks caused by battle use and storage. The metal components were very well preserved by the cosmoline, and the functionality will reflect that.

DETAILS​

Caliber: 7.62x39mm
Barrel Length: 20"
Action: Semi-Automatic
Frame: Steel Frame w/ Wooden Stock
Magazine Capacity: 10rds
Magazine Type: Fixed
Sights: Adjustable Iron Sights
Bayonet: Spike Bayonet
Cleaning Rod: Rifles may or may not come with a cleaning rod, although most do
Condition: Military Turn-In Rifle; Condition Varies
Other: C + R Eligible
**These rifles are MIlitary surplus and are in a used condition and are sold as-is. They will all come with heavy cosmoline on the exterior and internals of the rifle, along with varying degrees of markings on the wood stock. Some rifles include trench-art as well as issues with the finish.**

Back
Top Bottom