Garand or SKS?

I think the OP, Mr. Engine, was not trying to compare the two platforms, but was instead saying he had $500 on hand now and wanted to know if he should "pull the trigger" on an SKS.
or parlay it into a Garand...

Okay. But to me, that means he’s wondering whether to settle for a New York strip at Texas Roadhouse or wait to get a fillet mignon at Capitol Grille. Same animal, two COMPLETELY different ways to consume it.

I have no idea why any of us could possibly know that answer better than he does.

Ok so looking to get a semi auto mil surp. Have $500 set aside and waiting to find out if and how much for bonus (would be first year so no context for amount).

If the bonus doesn't come through, easy get an SKS.

If the Bonus is HUGE then I could afford both but that is unlikely.

Have always wanted a garand, but ammo will be expensive (at least untill I also save up for reloading gear)

So if things are somewhere in between, which should I get?

Is it better to get something less expensive where ammo is cheaper also, or get the classic that I have wanted but is more expensive to get to the range.

(Peeled $100 off my "first rifle" budget and bought a Marlin 60 so I do have an as cheap as possible shooter on the rifle range)
SKS. Good cache rifle as well. Buy two. Cache one with 2,000 rounds of fresh ammo and about 100 stripper clips. Like you said, .30 M2 ball is expensive!

SKS. Good cache rifle as well. Buy two. Cache one with 2,000 rounds of fresh ammo and about 100 stripper clips. Like you said, .30 M2 ball is expensive!
$900 worth of SKS, $400-$450 of which cached
$400 of cached ammo

Or $650-$750 on a Garand
and use $250-$300 to get reloading and make 35 cent M2 ball that he can actually shoot?

To me, I'm going to choose #2 and save $300 and now be able to reload my own ammo...

i'm an SKS nerd but one can't really compare it to a garand which is undoubtedly going to the be the choice. suppose if you're looking for a "bury in the backyard" survival rifle the SKS might be more cost effective option but if the purpose here is to own a nice rifle i mean come on how does one even compare them.

$400 of cached ammo

Or $650-$750 on a Garand
and use $250-$300 to get reloading and make 35 cent M2 ball that he can actually shoot?

To me, I'm going to choose #2 and save $300 and now be able to reload my own ammo...
Be careful. The pressure curve can bend or break the op rod on the Garand. Didn't know you planned to reload. SKS is great for those who don't reload.

Both.

Believe me.

FWIW, Cabela’s in Berlin has SKS’s for around $400 (yeah, I know - not the $89 deals my old man tells me about...)

And you can get a CMP Garand for as “affordable” as $650 right now...

This way you can get both, shoot both, and really know for yourself
My first SKS Russian $86, and my first Garand a CMP IH $125, both regrettably gone now... I feel so old.

Garand...if you go the CMP route, it will take some effort and time to get one. You'll eventually own both haha. Priv Partisan ammo can be found online for a decent price.
I don't know, it's only 19 hours to the south store, less to the north but the selection isn't as good (so I've been told). Take the drive south and spend a couple days at the CMP Marksmanship Center, there are no ranges like that around here.

Ok so looking to get a semi auto mil surp. Have $500 set aside and waiting to find out if and how much for bonus (would be first year so no context for amount).

If the bonus doesn't come through, easy get an SKS.

If the Bonus is HUGE then I could afford both but that is unlikely.

Have always wanted a garand, but ammo will be expensive (at least untill I also save up for reloading gear)

So if things are somewhere in between, which should I get?

Is it better to get something less expensive where ammo is cheaper also, or get the classic that I have wanted but is more expensive to get to the range.

(Peeled $100 off my "first rifle" budget and bought a Marlin 60 so I do have an as cheap as possible shooter on the rifle range)
OP, both are nice rifles. The Garand is awesome and also beautiful to look at.

I think it is important to understand what you want to get out of the rifle.

You mentioned ammo cost. I am assuming you plan on shooting it a lot. (I know guys that own Garand and SKS and barely touch them).

Now, what type of shooting?
- do you want to challenge yourself and go for longer than 100 yard shots?
- do you want to go to mil surp shoots that might not allow an SKS?
- do you just want a range toy you can beat up, barely clean and do bayonet charges with for fun?

I think your type of shooting will define which one is right for you. Assuming you cant just get both.

Both.

Believe me.

FWIW, Cabela’s in Berlin has SKS’s for around $400 (yeah, I know - not the $89 deals my old man tells me about...)

Do they add the bayonets when you purchase one?

I stopped by a few weeks back and noticed those b*tches removed all the folding bayonets.

OP, xmas has past and I fear this is your fate

JellyoftheMonth-Slider-FINAL-r-1024x713.jpg

But do not be deterred.
Check the next CMP Clinic at Cape Ann Sportsmans Club and learn the ins and out of using the Garand with Norm. I can't seem to bring up their website right now but if the next schedule is in the spring and you want to get your hands on one check with Norm if can do a primer and let you shoot one with club ammo for a fee. I can't say enough good about this club.

Personally I would scrape up the extra $250 and get the $750 Service Grade Garand. I wouldn't be surprised those Service Grades are gone in the next couple of months. Just look at the other non-Frankenstein M1s out of stock circa 2015. Pick up some PPU M2 ball from one of the members here get you by while your waiting for the cmp delivery.

I really wish Cabelas hadn't stopped their layaway program thanks to bAss Pro. Discounted Cabelas gift cards used to be a good way to get a cheap sks from Cabelas but not sure with the current level of bassification. At one point they also had no 7.62x39 for a very long time. Last time I was there I grabbed the last of the RedArmy fmj on the shelf and they had only the pricey domestic ammo left.

Shoot a club Garand at Cape Ann if you haven't already and you'll know if you want one.
I really don't know how anyone could not like the Garand. It's always the favorite when I take out family and
Friends but ammo can be an issue for a new owner.

That said sks will be around for awhile and you can pick one up later. I got my Garand long before I touched any commie sks.

Do they add the bayonets when you purchase one?

I stopped by a few weeks back and noticed those b*tches removed all the folding bayonets.

They had them out back and could supply you with one or so I was told when asked last year. I asked why they removed them and was informed it was Store policy. My guess is they didn't do this in free state stores.

Be aware that it's quite a production to purchase a firearm from them. No less than a 2 hour ordeal, not like an LGS. They have seating (no joke) to wait at the counter area.

SKS are the only guns im 100% ok with making illegal.

If I didn't know any better I'd take you for a rabid leftist anti and negrep on the ban comment [troll]

Ignored them until discovering the existence of historical pieces Vietnam bringbacks and Serb/Bosnian war and Albanian Chinese imports.

SKS "just in case" and a fun range toy.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1c7ZTcNTC5s

My first SKS Russian $86, and my first Garand a CMP IH $125, both regrettably gone now... I feel so old.

I don't know, it's only 19 hours to the south store, less to the north but the selection isn't as good (so I've been told). Take the drive south and spend a couple days at the CMP Marksmanship Center, there are no ranges like that around here.

Considered going to the North Store. It's 2 hours from my in laws, but would not be out there till August most likely. Unless a weird unexpected international trip comes up and the wife insists on going out there.

OP, both are nice rifles. The Garand is awesome and also beautiful to look at.

I think it is important to understand what you want to get out of the rifle.

You mentioned ammo cost. I am assuming you plan on shooting it a lot. (I know guys that own Garand and SKS and barely touch them).

Now, what type of shooting?
- do you want to challenge yourself and go for longer than 100 yard shots?
- do you want to go to mil surp shoots that might not allow an SKS?
- do you just want a range toy you can beat up, barely clean and do bayonet charges with for fun?

I think your type of shooting will define which one is right for you. Assuming you cant just get both.

Looking for a nice rifle that I can both take to the range and also just look at in my safe.

Coming up on 1 year with a baby and switching to one income so will only be going to the range occasionally for a while.

Have access to a 100 yd range, unless the club builds a 200 yd range.

OP, xmas has past and I fear this is your fate

JellyoftheMonth-Slider-FINAL-r-1024x713.jpg

But do not be deterred.
Check the next CMP Clinic at Cape Ann Sportsmans Club and learn the ins and out of using the Garand with Norm. I can't seem to bring up their website right now but if the next schedule is in the spring and you want to get your hands on one check with Norm if can do a primer and let you shoot one with club ammo for a fee. I can't say enough good about this club.

Personally I would scrape up the extra $250 and get the $750 Service Grade Garand. I wouldn't be surprised those Service Grades are gone in the next couple of months. Just look at the other non-Frankenstein M1s out of stock circa 2015. Pick up some PPU M2 ball from one of the members here get you by while your waiting for the cmp delivery.

I really wish Cabelas hadn't stopped their layaway program thanks to bAss Pro. Discounted Cabelas gift cards used to be a good way to get a cheap sks from Cabelas but not sure with the current level of bassification. At one point they also had no 7.62x39 for a very long time. Last time I was there I grabbed the last of the RedArmy fmj on the shelf and they had only the pricey domestic ammo left.

Shoot a club Garand at Cape Ann if you haven't already and you'll know if you want one.
I really don't know how anyone could not like the Garand. It's always the favorite when I take out family and
Friends but ammo can be an issue for a new owner.

That said sks will be around for awhile and you can pick one up later. I got my Garand long before I touched any commie sks.

No bonus definitely was a concern, though it makes my path pretty clear.

Also, not a Christmas bonus but yearly. I know for a fact it will be based on targets for yearly performance which ends 12/31 and nothing will be paid out untill January.

I have looked at the CMP garands before but changed focus when I saw stuff going out of stock.

At this point if I don't get the garand I think it is pretty likely they will be out of stock the next time I have burning a hole in my pocket.

What range are you going to be shooting the Garand at out to its max range of 1000 yards? Heck, what range in New England are you going to find that goes out to 500 yards?

That aside, what's going to be more fun to shoot? The SKS is a smaller, lighter rifle that's 300 yard capable even with ammo that costs a quarter a round vs the Garand that will costs twice as much to shoot.

The SKS has two weaknesses: its trigger and its sights, both of which can be easily upgraded to improve your results.

Honestly, I would have more fun playing with the SKS vs the Garand. The SKS you're going to want to improve, make upgrades, customize it to your liking, but the Garand you won't touch because "that's the way its meant to be and the way Gen. Patton likes it and who am I to disagree?"

Bottom line is the Garand is a collectors gun, the SKS is a shooters gun.

I have both and I prefer my SKS. Infinitely more reliable, less maintenance, cheaper ammo, simpler operation.
Tbh, I think a lot of people prefer the garand for mostly idealistic reasons.
The SKS is a much better firearm.

Attachments

• 20191227_060449.jpg
    20191227_060449.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 22
You're gonna want them both, before they are both banned... Hillary 2020
Garand first, then SKS (or a Saiga 7.62x39 [smile])

LOL thought had crossed my mind. Will need a battle rifle for the great war after 2020. (Sarcasm)

I think the OP, Mr. Engine, was not trying to compare the two platforms, but was instead saying he had $500 on hand now and wanted to know if he should "pull the trigger" on an SKS.
or parlay it into a Garand...

Yes, cash in hand now so I can easily buy an SKS and start stacking ammo. If I wait, might be waiting for a while.

Baby (coming up on 1 yr) means fun money isn't around the corner every month.

I could go to the store today, and have a range report in by noon. Or I keep saving and maybe get something in a year.

Alternatively I have to convince my boss to sell me his father's garand for $500 because his keeping it in a closet and never getting around to selling it is idiotic. (Unlikely)

I have both and I prefer my SKS. Infinitely more reliable, less maintenance, cheaper ammo, simpler operation.

You are just trolling here right? Even the Soviets would take umbrage. SKS might be somewhat handier but oh nevermind I am a boomer and not ashamed.

Interesting that you say you prefer the SKS.

Do you have a particular variety you prefer?

Garand...if you go the CMP route, it will take some effort and time to get one. You'll eventually own both haha. Priv Partisan ammo can be found online for a decent price.
Only time it takes is going to ups or bank for the Notary.
Dro p your order in Today you might have a M1 by new years , CMP might be on holiday ?

Good to know you use the x39 stuff more for plunking/mag dumps

Is the rack grade special a better idea than a service grade. Had been leaning towards a service grade but easily swayed by someone who knows better. More money for ammo and accessories is good.

Yeah fairly made up but waiting on funds along with second guessing myself.

Oh and I reread both of those threads while up by the fire Christmas morning!
I mention the cmp special I posted because
1. Price
2. It comes with a brand new barrel and stock.
I think is a great option for a capable shooter and you can run a JCG match here and there.

Right now the cmp service grade Springfield/HRA are $750 and will be the least expensive option to get something close to GI. It will have new wood stock.

I wont sit here and tell you which gun is more accurate.
If your young and can see that sks sight well enough to hold under 4moa god bless you. Im beyond those days.
As far as ammo prices. Once you get beyond the cheap steel cased x39 its just as costly.
If you have not shot a M1 find a club near you that host CMP shoots or Clinics.
If your trying to squeeze into a budget it can get harder to make choices.
I have been down that road. They key is figure What type of shooting and how much your really going to shoot it.
These days I only shoot the 30-06 M1 at CMP
Running 50 rounds max (35 as we run the short corse of fire) so under 500 rounds a year.
308 M1 even less and even less for the 8mm,swiss and 303.
i do most of any "practice " with the pellet guns or 22s

$400 of cached ammo

Or $650-$750 on a Garand

Since when do you start making sense, lol. God i need a match where we can fling some good old BS around. Apeezas hitah!!!!

what type of maintenance is more on the garand? Honeslty the only have 2 that get any real maintenance. My cmp match rifles.
My others even in the heavy use days got a quick wipe and a bore swipe here and there once in a while. Just like the sks.
Both are designed to be simple and robust.
Im not a history buff but I can say that what killed the sks was production cost. You can say the same for the M1 also.
As far as operation they are darn near the same ?
Weak link in the M1 is the long operating rod.
Weak link in the sks is the safety it only keeps the trigger from moving it does not prevent the hammer from falling.

What range are you going to be shooting the Garand at out to its max range of 1000 yards? Heck, what range in New England are you going to find that goes out to 500 yards?

That aside, what's going to be more fun to shoot? The SKS is a smaller, lighter rifle that's 300 yard capable even with ammo that costs a quarter a round vs the Garand that will costs twice as much to shoot.

The SKS has two weaknesses: its trigger and its sights, both of which can be easily upgraded to improve your results.

Honestly, I would have more fun playing with the SKS vs the Garand. The SKS you're going to want to improve, make upgrades, customize it to your liking, but the Garand you won't touch because "that's the way its meant to be and the way Gen. Patton likes it and who am I to disagree?"

Bottom line is the Garand is a collectors gun, the SKS is a shooters gun.
Reading rifle is 600 yards
Theres so many levels of "shooting"
Theres a good reason you do not see SKS at cmp events or AK , maybe once in a great while for fun.
I keep saying Im going to shoot my sks at cmp but then I say to it sadly ........next time.
Take a SR 1 target go prone and report back.

Back
Top Bottom