• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Garand help

I need some help with reassembling my Garand. I've watched youtube videos and googled write ups for it. I got it to the point where I have no idea what the fudge is wrong with it.
This is a new special grade from the CMP. I just took it apart to lube it up and now the bolt won't lock back all the way.
It works without the stock and trigger housing. But I feel like it's a bit tight, it's not like the other Garand I sold after I got this one.

1966907_10152117860483611_342452631_n.jpg

After I put the stock and trigger housing back it'll look like this picture.

Here are some pictures of the insides

1508168_10152117860688611_804387756_n.jpg

1013785_10152117860608611_2086817548_n.jpg

969266_10152117860538611_558405522_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

One symptom is also I noticed the follower feels stiffer than normal to press down if that means anything?

I'm thinking your op-rod catch is not in properly. Either that or the bullet guide.

Use this step by step assembly from the CMP. It is the best description on assembly and disassembly.

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/fieldstrip.html

I just did a quick field strip and put it together wrong. Your op-rod catch is not in correctly.

Last edited:
So it works correctly without the stock, but fails to lock back with stock installed?
It came with a New-Manufactured CMP stock. The stock may be limiting reward travel of op-rod and not allowing it to be captured by the op-rod catch hook. Another place to look is in the rear U-notch of the stock. (Looking down from the top) See if there are contact marks on the wood from the bolt when being fully pulled rearward.

Also, on the stock, check the area in front of where the trigger assy installs for scratching or rubbing. (When looking down into the stock cavity from the top)

Lastly, if you have a friend with a USGI butt stock, install his and see if it works correctly, then try and relieve stock accordingly.

New CMP stocks usually need a little tweeking...
~Matt

Last edited:
"I'm thinking your op-rod catch is not in properly. Either that or the bullet guide.
Use this step by step assembly from the CMP. It is the best description on assembly and disassembly.
http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/fieldstrip.html"
I just did a quick field strip and put it together wrong. Your op-rod catch is not in correctly."

I thought this too. But if op-rod catch cam arm was above the clip release lug he should not get the op-rod to lock back with stock removed. OP states it works correctly with stock removed, but fails with stock installed.
~Matt

Last edited:
I thought this too. But if op-rod catch cam arm was above the clip release lug he should not get the op-rod to lock back with stock removed. OP states it works correctly with stock removed, but fails with stock installed.
~Matt

One symptom is also I noticed the follower feels stiffer than normal to press down if that means anything?

He also put this at the bottom of his post. I can't see inside to point out something else. I saw the op-rod was locked back in one of the photos. I can't imagine the trigger group causing this problem unless he somehow manages to get the hammer in the way of the bolt.

The deepest cavity of the stock (just in front of where the trigger assy inserts) may not have been relieved enough and when assembled with the clampload of the trigger assy may be pressing on the op-rod catch. this can cause two problems. First the pressure may cause the catch to not capture the op-rod by pressing down on the curve of the follower rod. Second, the follower may feel harder to depress because it is hitting the wood of the stock.

Like you said, I also thought it was the op-rod catch cam arm not being hooked under the clip release latch lug, but that would cause it to fail to lock back with the stock removed. OP states it works correctly with the stock removed.

~Matt

Last edited:
What!? I wasted 2.5 hrs on that?!? [sad2]
Well I will examine that when I go home and let you guys know.

Well at least other than that part I learned how to take it apart and put it back together real quick after doing it that many times.

I need some help with reassembling my Garand. I've watched youtube videos and googled write ups for it. I got it to the point where I have no idea what the fudge is wrong with it.
This is a new special grade from the CMP. I just took it apart to lube it up and now the bolt won't lock back all the way.
It works without the stock and trigger housing. But I feel like it's a bit tight, it's not like the other Garand I sold after I got this one.

1966907_10152117860483611_342452631_n.jpg
The follower was installed backwards.

EDT: Disregard...others beat me to it.

It slips in perfectly and they even all go together and operate somewhat properly I didn't think anything was wrong with it.
Tricky! Now I won't forget after disassembling and putting it back over and over again

I think the follower was correct. The rest of the gun was backwards... [smile] Looking at the first photos I kept thinking 'something' was off but couldn't place it. I should have dragged one out of the safe to inspect.

That's a nice looking stick!

BTW, this one won't feed M2...

Last edited:
The angle and position of my picture would confuse you if you didn't look carefully either.

What do you mean it won't feed M2? Did it turn human and get sick of having the same food?

The angle and position of my picture would confuse you if you didn't look carefully either.

What do you mean it won't feed M2? Did it turn human and get sick of having the same food?

A clue; It functions perfectly but it will not feed M2 ammo. [wink] As the OP's issue was hidden in plain sight, so is this one.

Bingo! Yes, this one has a medium weight Barnett barrel chambered in 7.62 NATO.

I wonder how many un-modified, 7th rd receivers still exist. I suppose I could cheat and break out the die grinder. [wink]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom