• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Garand Gunsmith?

NHKevin

NES Member
I'm looking for a gunsmith somewhere between the Manchester, NH area and the NH seacoast. I need to get my M1 Garand looked at. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

A little further than what you were looking for, but this guy has done work for me and he is outstanding. He has been around for many years. He first did work for me about 15 years ago. He is reliable and really good at what he does. You could take a nice drive to ME or ship it to him.

http://angusarms.com/

Last edited:
Thanks! That is about what I'm looking for. Too bad I had to google him to learn he was in Wiscasset - strange that info wasn't on his website.

Whats the problem? Somebody here might be able to help you without having to go to a gunsmith.

Thanks, but I don't want to take any chances.

I was shooting with some friends and while I was loading up a Saiga 12 magazine a friend was shooting my Garand. It jammed and the charging handle sat at an awkward angle. There is minor damage to the stock. It took some muscle to get the handle back on the bolt and clear it. All that I have put through it is Greek HXP from the CMP.

Your call, but sounds like a basic op-rod dismount. (Op rod sprung itself from the bolt lug, right?).

I'd get a $19 pair of digital calipers, mic the op rod tab (height and width) to see if it specs, and if not, send it off to Columbus Machine and have it re-bent, and the tabs rebuilt.

Basically an in-spec op rod will not dismount...(ETA: on a serviceable/non re-weld receiver).

Last edited:
Your call, but sounds like a basic op-rod dismount. (Op rod sprung itself from the bolt lug, right?).

I'd get a $19 pair of digital calipers, mic the op rod tab (height and width) to see if it specs, and if not, send it off to Columbus Machine and have it re-bent, and the tabs rebuilt.

Basically an in-spec op rod will not dismount...(ETA: on a serviceable/non re-weld receiver).

Thanks, that sounds easy enough. Just the same, I think I'll take it to a pro. I really don't want to do any more damage to my stock - it is a nice USGI stock with the eagle stamp on it.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/130077-Detailed-CMP-Timeline/page2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom