Garand aquisitions and projects.

Maninblue1861

NES Member
Starting to feel like 1998 again when I started amassing my original collection of 36 M1's. Thanks to Magoo, added a nice 99% correct h&r m1 for a bit less under 2k. Had the correct bolt in my parts bin to be 100%. That brings up to 4 with my 1940 Winchester, 1943 and 1956 SA, and now a 1954 H&R.... now just need to find a IHC at a non lube price....

20230507_160756.jpg

20230506_153048.jpg

20230506_153128.jpg

Last edited:
Finally landed a IHC today, I'll take new full family pic of all 5 after it arrives.... now if like first time this started next comes the snipers C and D , followed by type 1, type 2 and type 1 rebuilt to type2 national matches, then 3 digit, 4 digit and 5 digit, then serial ranges..... never ended and why was at 36 last time lol

Well ihc fell through due to scammer. Luckily caught when did and was able to stop payment. *sighs
Sorry to hear that, but glad you were able to catch it before losing some serious coin.

Sometimes I think about selling the IHC that I have but so far have resisted that. Pretty cool to have a rifle that was made by a tractor company, LOL.

Yes, Winnie’s basically all had light roll marks. Some are very hard to read 80 years later. Anyway, it looks goofy having bright white lettering on a Garand.

Yes, Winnie’s basically all had light roll marks. Some are very hard to read 80 years later. Anyway, it looks goofy having bright white lettering on a Garand.
I go back and forth on it . Was detrimental to help find what I was looking for back when I had tons of them. Now way have displayed they are receiver out and makes the makers stand out..

FB_IMG_1574945424147.jpg

Well due to bank F'in up, and didn't stop payment proper way I'm out $2k. Bank manager opened a case about it, and escalated it as was their call center f up. Hoping they will get my $ back due to their morons manning phones as would have been stopped if did right to begin with, but not holding breath...

Fortunately found another ihc that I'll pick up locally Saturday.. some good news least. Def done with gunbroker as their identification checks useless.

Trying to condense my m1 threads to 1 super thread.

Now that I've obtained a hra, 6 mill and finally a IHC to go with my pre ww2 and ww2 Wra and SA m1's, I've begun tasks of restoring what and where I can. 6mil was fairly easy to restore.

HRA I'm awaiting new headspace gauges to come to swap out the incorrect later hra bolt for correct early one.

IHC haven't decided on how far to take its restore. Right now thinking just a soft restore of any non correct receiver or stock parts that it may have. Don't think I can find a correct date lmr barrel or stock to improve on near new layer IHC ones currently on it..

Also now contemplating next acquisition. Thinking a m1d or a type 2 NM. Have enough usgi NM parts, including a brand spanking new usgi NM marked barrel in tube and NM stocks to build one of can find a late receiver... but rather a real one I think....

Decisions Decisions.

Currently attempting to build a new display for my M1 family. Still working on cad drawings. Option 1 was a coffee table based off this with 1 way mirror shatter proof glass (can't see inside unless light on) ..

FB_IMG_1687625317522.jpg

Option 2 is a wall mount option....

Another decision I need to figure out to practicality.

20230624_094842.jpg

20230624_094935.jpg

20230624_105626.jpg

20230624_094635.jpg

20230624_095156.jpg

Well designed a custom coffee table/ gun cabinet/display all in one, and found a millwork able to bring to life. Can't wait to finally have the home for my relics. Display will be like the crate pictured above. Screenshot_20230723_112004_Samsung Notes.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how your coffee table comes out...I've been thinking about how to more visibly store and display my modest but growing collection (so far all three M1917 manufacturers, and a couple of M1s)...thanks for sharing!

Tackled the next restoration project today as got house to self. My HRA I got from Magoo. Was already like 95+% correct/ original, but some reason the bolt was swapped out to a late HRA one some point in life.

So dove into my parts bins to find what, if any HRA bolts I had.

Luckily found 3. 2 of which were correct early ones that I needed. 1 was reparkerized, which was no Bueno for project. Other was original finish with just right amount of wear.

Hra prior. Late HRA bolt with correct original battleship grey finish(was from contractor that way)
Screenshot_20230514_062502_Chrome.jpg

The new correct one on
20230731_124719.jpg

No to check headspace. Closed on go, now to try nogo...

20230731_124738.jpg
Success. Doesn't close on no-go

Now that one is 100% correct..

Next up the soft IHC restore...

And I was happy just getting 1.....
Sling's
Is it beneficial to have the leather replaced or just buy a reproduction ?

And I was happy just getting 1.....
Sling's
Is it beneficial to have the leather replaced or just buy a reproduction ?
Buy a repro if shooting alot. Couple company's make great reproduction ww2 leather ones, including "aged" look so don't kill an original.

Of the 5 I got, got 1 repro leather, 1 1944 canvas, and 3 1953-55 web slings.

Still researching the IHC to how I want to go forward with restoration. Has signs of reheating on receiver legs, evidence that receiver had flaws when made which were common in early IHC production that required additional forging/machining to correct to get to acceptable spec... Def was made before the Aug 1953 shut down to correct the "drop 4" problem, where the first 4 was stamped lower than rest of serial number. so with that knowledge, instead of correcting to as built in March or April 1953 with early IHC parts and ordinance wheel stock, that now means would have been completed later with later parts in 1954 possibly into 1955/56...

Thank You
The sling has "1/4 cracks and have no trust in it
But it has the brass hardware,
From the 969XXX number it is Nov 42, But the Barrel is 44 and shoots well
Picked it up for a hunting rifle, Yeah too heavy for some but I like a classic
And if it was carried across europe I figure I could carry it in the woods for a day

Thank You
The sling has "1/4 cracks and have no trust in it
But it has the brass hardware,
From the 969XXX number it is Nov 42, But the Barrel is 44 and shoots well
Picked it up for a hunting rifle, Yeah too heavy for some but I like a classic
And if it was carried across europe I figure I could carry it in the woods for a day

So my IHC saga continues. As most well read M1 experts know, IHC m1s aside from being rarer, also have the most confusing and diverse history of all the makers. Is the only maker can't go off serial number to determine when actually made if original or for parts to restore it.

Alot of the rifles had manufacturing flaws, that resulted in new rifles or receivers being put in parts cribs to be repaired and built at much later dates due to heavy back log through 1953 and 1954. Like a 3-53 made receiver could have been actually repaired and built as late as 1955-56, meaning alot may have been passed by as rebuilt when they could have in fact been original. That's what I've discovered about mine, as was accumulating early IHC parts it was discovered the receiver was originally rejected and then fixed and rebuilt later. That means it could technically have a 1955 barrel and a DAS stamped stock and be original, rather the 3-53 barrel and ordinance wheel stock was collecting parts for...

20230828_094928.jpg

20230828_094954.jpg

20230828_094424.jpg

20230828_094351.jpg
20230603_104447.jpg

Now to try to determine when it was actually built....

Last edited:
If you are on the CMP forum, contact ihcfan55. Wayne Bradford has literally written the book in IHCs (last update, I think, was that it is at the printer!!!).

Well more back and forth with the IHC guru Mr Bradshaw, determined receiver was made and rejected due to flaw in forging around 3-53, and was repaired and built in 10 or 11-53. Now have a time frame for parts i will need. Luckily I think the cross cannon ihc stocks were phased out by then for the DAS stamped ones. Also fortunate to have connections to the parts I'll need. Will update as this progresses.

With the IHC being the most stressful restoration, there is some progress.

As stated the receiver was made in Feb or March 1953, but was found to have mfg flaws like alot of early ihc rifles had. So it sat in a parts crib till was pulled out, repaired and assembled around October 1953.

I happened to find a September 1953 made ihc stock with all stamps. The julian date code is 2683 which stands for 268th day of 1953 (Sept 25 1953) which falls in line for a October 1953 assembly. Problem now is finding 2 ihc/overton handguards to go with it.

IMG_20230831_141749.jpgIMG_20230831_141746.jpgIMG_20230831_141743.jpgIMG_20230831_141740.jpgIMG_20230831_141738.jpg

Now the only 2 roadblocks I'm hitting to finish this intensive restoration is the handguards and a early lmr mfg barrel with proper punch mark..

Break down of IHC and parts that I need to swap...

Parts marked with * flagged to change for correct restoration

IHC 4483981

Trigger Housing: IHC D6528290
IHC Trig Guard w/ dimples
* Hammer SA 5546008
* saftey SA-11
Hammer Plunger w/out wings w/ round sides
* Hammer Housing SA w/ round window
Hammer Spring- OK
* Trigger SA profile
Hammer Pin, Trigger Pin Both w/ IHC dimples

Butt PLate: IHC Profile w/round plunger Mod-good checkering

* Long Buttplate Screw WW11 w/ step
Small Buttplate Screw- standard

Butt Swivel Standard

* Complete Stock Ferrule, very rough and rusted but does appear to have the swivel screw staked IHC . Prob replace

* Poppet Screw P O re-finished

*WW11 Lock w/ chamfer edge

Front Sight- IHC 7/16 inch wing span

Sight Screw Post solid w/ checkering

Wide Base Gas Cylinder W/ IHC staked swivel screw Re- Finished Gas Cyl Gages OK but gets a little stick when you check the 2nd round, but should be fine.

Follower Rod Long Fork IHC profile- very worn

Follower Rod Spring; 19 3/4 inch free length

* Op Rod D6535382 IHC re- finished and modified Piston out of spec chip on Tab (cheaper to replace or rebuild? )

Lower Band Post Flat profile- worn finish w/ rolled lower band pin

Op Catch- Standard late

Follower Arm IHC/HRA

Bullet Guide Late w/ notch w/ chrysanthemum

Follower & Slide assembly Late, unmarked

Follower Arm Pin w/ dimple

Handguards:
* Front HG Walnut, no Liner Thick profile- SA
* Front HG Ferrule- Rough condition
* Rear HG No IHC early “0” marking

Rear HG Clip Late/flat nice dark patina

* Clip Latch WW11 SA w/ Drop Forge Numbers

Clip Latch Pin & Spring OK

Bolt D6528287 IHC B8 Heat Lot
Bolt Internals standard

Rear Sights:
** Long Pinion- re- finished ?unmarked” elevation Pinion
* Windage Knob HRA-W
Aperture Checkering Peep
Base: Late Square cut- rough condition * (correct but will be changed)
* Front Sight Cover SA

Receiver: Serial Number 4483981 (IHC/IHC)

Heatlot: IHC D6528291-A

Blotches on receiver legs “ Result of the need to anneal the legs to correct the manufacturing” reparked the receiver after this re-work

Barrel * LMR D6535448 2 55 A 40 Punch in the P This barrel was off a late HRA rifle
TE 1.1 ME 1

Back
Top Bottom